Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

61 - 80 of 124 Posts

·
Rider
633 Posts
2011 Road King. 107K miles. The chassis is not much, because I've left it stock. I guess the most interesting part is the 124" I built. 148 ft/lbs torque. Very smooth street-able if you touch the throttle like you're holding a dixy cup of water. But if you nail it in 4th gear and don't let off, you'll come off the back of the seat. Kind of interesting is the pinion bearing retainer I designed and custom shaped and installed. (I used a 2010 short block casing for the 124", which does not have the bearing retainer screws or retaining rings.) I'll keep this hotrod, but the Challenger is the first bike to really catch my eye that's not an H-D, and when I finally get one it will be my long distance touring ride.
Nice! My last Harley was the '10 Ultra Limited, stock with a tuner and D&D Fat Cat. I tend to only keep one 3 or 4 seasons so tend to not put much money in them outside of oil, swapping tires out etc. My hotrod days go clear back to the 70's and 80's with a Shovel Head, the only piece of equipment I kept for more than 12 years. Since 2010 26k on the Ultra, 30k on a Victory, 50k on a Gold Wing and 40k on the Road Master. I too am anxiously waiting for a Challenger tourer to come out, hopefully next year. Like my Harleys, I've had very good experiences with Polaris bikes. The Vic and Road Master have been the most comfortable rides to date.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
What I've found on my first pass. I'll revise as I find more. I've learned a lot about how to work on this beast. Looking forward to building hands-on experience.

Going to try to get this to corporate.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Nice! My last Harley was the '10 Ultra Limited, stock with a tuner and D&D Fat Cat. I tend to only keep one 3 or 4 seasons so tend to not put much money in them outside of oil, swapping tires out etc. My hotrod days go clear back to the 70's and 80's with a Shovel Head, the only piece of equipment I kept for more than 12 years. Since 2010 26k on the Ultra, 30k on a Victory, 50k on a Gold Wing and 40k on the Road Master. I too am anxiously waiting for a Challenger tourer to come out, hopefully next year. Like my Harleys, I've had very good experiences with Polaris bikes. The Vic and Road Master have been the most comfortable rides to date.
You've got a lot of experience with some of the best touring bikes out there. Way more than me. I'll be trying to follow you to see how you think the Challenger compares to the rest of your touring fleet.

·
Rider
698 Posts
Oh, come on man. Geek out, roll up your sleeves, get in the garage, and build something. For me, there is more to the sport of motorcycling than just riding. Plus, it's more than grammar imperfections. Misrepresenting torque specs is just wrong.

BTW, is there anyone on this forum who's not negative? I've only been on here a week or two, and already received ten times the BS comments than we do on Harley Tech Talk.
Having bought one of the first Challengers , I have posted detailed photos and personally taken apart a lot of my bike to familiarize myself and share with other owners.
Truthfully, I have no interest in wannabe musings about the service manual. When you buy a Challenger , I would love to compare notes.

·
Rider
451 Posts
Where did you pick up a Service Manual? The day mine comes home, it's getting torn down to be painted, so a manual would help. I didn't find a manual for my chieftain till I was done doing basically all the work to it. Not that I'm against going old school and figuring it out as I go, it would just save me some time. I think a $90 investment to know what you are getting into and familiarize yourself is a good idea. I spend $1000 renting a Harley RG to find out 2 hours in that I HATED it, and they wouldn't let me bring it back early and get my money back. Money well spent. I would have been pissed if I had spent $26k+ on a bike that I hated on day 1. I took the Chieftain for a ride at a demo day, and the 2nd corner I hit, I said to myself "Yup, this is it"

·
Rider
633 Posts
Be patient, like the ‘17 RM manual someone on this wonderful forum will download and post one. Then you can have one on your hard drive and for about $50 and a trip to Staples, a hard copy.

Attachments

·
Rider
451 Posts
Be patient, like the ‘17 RM manual someone on this wonderful forum will download and post one. Then you can have one on your hard drive and for about $50 and a trip to Staples, a hard copy.
Or work a shift where nobody is really at your work that eats through reams of paper already, and get it for nothing. Thats how I got my Chieftain one ?

·
Rider
633 Posts
Or work a shift where nobody is really at your work that eats through reams of paper already, and get it for nothing. Thats how I got my Chieftain one ?
Haha I got away with that with the Victory Vision manual. I retired 4 1/2 yrs ago and no access to the printer and paper supply.

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Where did you pick up a Service Manual? The day mine comes home, it's getting torn down to be painted, so a manual would help. I didn't find a manual for my chieftain till I was done doing basically all the work to it. Not that I'm against going old school and figuring it out as I go, it would just save me some time. I think a $90 investment to know what you are getting into and familiarize yourself is a good idea. I spend $1000 renting a Harley RG to find out 2 hours in that I HATED it, and they wouldn't let me bring it back early and get my money back. Money well spent. I would have been pissed if I had spent $26k+ on a bike that I hated on day 1. I took the Chieftain for a ride at a demo day, and the 2nd corner I hit, I said to myself "Yup, this is it"
Go to the parts counter at the Indian dealership and ask to order part # 9930570. I got the R01 version. Ask if they have an R02 or later version, or you can hand notate corrections. I found another error, so attaching.

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #73 (Edited)
Having bought one of the first Challengers , I have posted detailed photos and personally taken apart a lot of my bike to familiarize myself and share with other owners.
Truthfully, I have no interest in wannabe musings about the service manual. When you buy a Challenger , I would love to compare notes.
Yes, I'm currently a wannabe. Basically sweeping the steps of the temple, so to speak. I've got to earn my way up. The tech arena is a rough neighborhood, and with the Challenger I'm still the wannabe novice. But I'm starting my devoted studies. I'll get there someday, just like I did with H-D's. Until then, I expect to get kicked around. Like I said, the tech arena is tough and difficult to achieve respect.

·
Rider
451 Posts
@LesOH Is there a section with a wiring diagram for the infotainment system? I am most likely going to be wiring in my own amp and speakers, and a wiring diagram would hemp GREATLY I think...

·
Registered
189 Posts
Thanks for all the info you've shared Les! I'm considering getting the manual as well. I'm curious, does it list all the connections on the wiring harness? I'm working on a little project but there is little information I can find.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Thanks for all the info you've shared Les! I'm considering getting the manual as well. I'm curious, does it list all the connections on the wiring harness? I'm working on a little project but there is little information I can find.
You're welcome. The back of the manual has the typical wiring diagrams. I sent Sphinx327 a couple of scans of them. Message me and we can exchange and do this through email.

·
Rider
451 Posts
And feel free to message me with whatever project you are working on...if you feel like sharing that is

·
Silver member
4,263 Posts
Oh, come on man. Geek out, roll up your sleeves, get in the garage, and build something. For me, there is more to the sport of motorcycling than just riding. Plus, it's more than grammar imperfections. Misrepresenting torque specs is just wrong.

BTW, is there anyone on this forum who's not negative? I've only been on here a week or two, and already received ten times the BS comments than we do on Harley Tech Talk.
I hope I'm not negative.

I have found a lot of torque specs inconsistent and/or just plain wrong in the TS111 and Scout manuals. As an engineer who has written IEEE papers and proofed technical manuals for protective relays (transmission class), I do have high expectations for accuracy in manuals. I am surprised that service techs can successfully service our bikes based on the Indian SM's.

BTW, HTT forum is a different forum then other Harley ones. It is very technical and attracts like minded folks.

·
Silver member
4,263 Posts
Brakes are awesome on my bike! I personally use the throttle more than the brakes?
Bobby, I believe the problem he was having with his brakes was ultimately with the Metzler tires, which are not good cold temp/wet tires. I will not put Metzler's on any bike I own. But you and I are lucky living in an area with nice warm weather and only an occasional Monsoon!

61 - 80 of 124 Posts