Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
* moderator note by Hink : OP started two (ie duplicate) threads so I merged ‘em. A couple of the posts accordingly may not jive.

So, I'm thinking about buying a Challenger, but probably not until 2021 to give corporate some time to fix the misfire and brakes problems I've been reading about. Nevertheless, I bought a service manual and started reading it last night. Only got about a half hour reading (up to the air filter and coolant checking) and found two mistakes already. If they are anything like H-D service manuals, this book will be filled with errors and misprints.

In terms of the specialty tools, it states that dealers can get tools by calling a phone number and blah, blah, blah... Am I to interpret this as only dealerships can purchase the specialty tools?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Interesting....I've only heard one owner state anything about brake issues. Everyone else seems quite happy with the brakes on our bikes (myself included). What brake issues are you referring to?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If ok with you, I'd prefer to not use this thread for a discussion about the brakes? I've been thinking about starting a service manual thread, with the hopes that we might share mistakes we find in the manual. Also, maybe a bit about specialty tools.

·
Registered
132 Posts
So, I'm thinking about buying a Challenger, but probably not until 2021 to give corporate some time to fix the misfire and brakes problems I've been reading about.
You can share, or not share whatever you'd like. It's your thread I suppose. You did however, start the discussion by saying you're not buying the bike because of brake and misfire issues. Best of luck.

·
Rider
694 Posts
Why spend $90 for a shop manual , for a bike you might buy a year from now , if Indian fixes an imaginary brake problem ?
If the manual was missing pg. 13 , would that qualify as a mistake?

·
Rider
798 Posts
What were the mistakes you caught? It might be helpful to others reading this.

I sold many of the Bosch specialty tools to customers.

·
5 years +
90 Posts
In the shop manual under General/Specs pg 1.5 it states the oil capacity is 6 qts Owner manual says 5qt. In the shop manual under Maintenance pg 2.20 it states the amount of oil between the ADD and Full mark is 32oz in the Owners manual its 0.5 qts. Somebody is not doing their proof reading job. Just sayn'

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I do a lot of in-depth work on Harleys. This is my first Indian, or might be my first Indian. Like I told the sales guy I'm talking to, "If I'm going to marry this thing, I want to know what it's going to be like to live with it." In other words, I'm in touch with my ride all the way down to the flywheel and tranny gear set. That is what scratches my itch. So, reading the SM cover to cover is getting to know my potential future ride.

Hoseman, thanks for those inconsistencies you pointed out, and yes I read in the SM it takes 6 qts. and the gap on the stick is 32 oz. I did not realize the inconsistency. Do you know which one is correct?

To others, sorry if I offended. Not my intention. I try to ride precise, and when wrenching I strive to be 3 times more precise. The way I get there is to listen, learn, and study hard.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

First mistake: Page 7.19: Under right side removal/installation, step 3. It says "Remove side cover accent 3." But in any pictures on the page, there is no 3. Are the photos wrong, or should step 3 not be there?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Second mistake I found: Page 2.20. Under coolant level inspection, step 2. It's written, "Inspection the recovery bottle level." Should be inspect.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Really? That's encouraging! I think I'm going to test out my local dealership. I'm thinking maybe a PF-52939, PU-43506-A, or PV-50104. Unless you recommend something better that I'd use more frequently.

·
5 years +
90 Posts
I do a lot of in-depth work on Harleys. This is my first Indian, or might be my first Indian. Like I told the sales guy I'm talking to, "If I'm going to marry this thing, I want to know what it's going to be like to live with it." In other words, I'm in touch with my ride all the way down to the flywheel and tranny gear set. That is what scratches my itch. So, reading the SM cover to cover is getting to know my potential future ride.

Hoseman, thanks for those inconsistencies you pointed out, and yes I read in the SM it takes 6 qts. and the gap on the stick is 32 oz. I did not realize the inconsistency. Do you know which one is correct?

To others, sorry if I offended. Not my intention. I try to ride precise, and when wrenching I strive to be 3 times more precise. The way I get there is to listen, learn, and study hard.
5 qts and 0.5 qt is the right answer. The html version on line was wrong but my tech found it and notified Indian and it got corrected.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
In the shop manual under General/Specs pg 1.5 it states the oil capacity is 6 qts Owner manual says 5qt. In the shop manual under Maintenance pg 2.20 it states the amount of oil between the ADD and Full mark is 32oz in the Owners manual its 0.5 qts. Somebody is not doing their proof reading job. Just sayn'
It seems that proof reading has gone downhill. I've found mistakes in H-D manuals, JIMS tool instructions, and now this crazy thing about not even being able to get the right number of quarts of oil. It ain't that hard!

·
Rider
631 Posts
Hey Les, welcome to the forum. How about a pic of the motorcycle you’re riding now.

·
Rider
798 Posts
Really? That's encouraging! I think I'm going to test out my local dealership. I'm thinking maybe a PF-52939, PU-43506-A, or PV-50104. Unless you recommend something better that I'd use more frequently.
Those hose kits can probably be had from a cheaper source elsewhere. And I can't remember ever seeing the brake pressure tester being used. I wasn't in the mechanics service bays all day long. But I was the guy buying and receiving the techs tools from corporate and helped on quite a few services and install jobs.

As far as anything else that you might use more frequently... I'm not sure. I don't know the extent of the work you're wanting to do and the extent of your mechanical abilities. But most tools for simple services can be had outside of the dealer realm.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It seems that proof reading has gone downhill. I've found mistakes in H-D manuals, JIMS tool instructions, and now this crazy thing about not even being able to get the right number of quarts of oil. It ain't that hard!
Have you written a service/application manual before? As an engineer I have and it's not easy. Maybe instead of coming on a forum and complaining about the mistakes you could reach out to Indian/Polaris directly. I am sure they would appreciate the feedback.

There are those who choose to dig into something, understand, possibly fix and provide good feedback and those that really would be better off buying a Vespa....

·
Super Moderator
9,147 Posts
Interesting....I've only heard one owner state anything about brake issues. Everyone else seems quite happy with the brakes on our bikes (myself included). What brake issues are you referring to?
@El_Gringo_Estupido had mentioned big brake failure(s). I think there was one other guy that thought the Brembos were “weak.” (Sounds weird for Brembos, ya? ) They caught a cavalcade of replies saying the brakes were fine.

1 - 20 of 116 Posts