Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping some electrical minded people can help me out. Engines I can do but tron-chasing sucks.

Background: I have a 2018 Indian Scout ABS with about 580miles on her. On the way to work one day while going roughly 30mph on a straight she randomly cut off and gave me the 520200-14 error code i.e. tip over sensor. Went through the forums and found the key/ignition cycling method for reseting; no joy. Long story and 5hrs later I found out that I could disconnect the small 5V ref signal for it and it would at least run so I could get home. However my signals went bonkers; guessing due to the missing 12V needed to power the load module.

Anyway, got her home and dug into it since she was already due for her break-in oil change. Nothing seemed loose; went all the way down to removing the battery basket (painful process with the coolant tank tied in like that). All seemed good. Put everything back together and no problems. Rode her to work and back one day and all was good. Rode her a second time to work and she did it again. I'm stumped...

Any help is appreciated...

·
Registered
86 Posts
it's probably a bad tip-over sensor, which Polaris may not cover now that you have taken shit apart. When you have a new bike, under warranty, not even had it's first oil change, you don't tear it apart when there is an issue. Take it in, get it addressed, and move on. Polaris may not know that there is an issue if you get it fixed yourself, so they won't have a replacement/improved part for if the problem becomes mainstream. If you take it in, let them know what the problem is, let them plug it in, they will find it, address the issue, and make sure Polaris knows, so if someone else has the same issue, they will know it may be an issue with a specific part, supplier, etc. and they could issue a recall if it's widespread.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1) I have the service manual and followed all directions. In addition, I spoke with someone at the dealer (which is 3 hrs away) and they stated to check those thing which I checked.
2) Second owner to the bike; the first bought then decided he wanted an RV instead and turned around and sold. Only rode once. In short, warranty is already probably out of the question.
3) If you dig into these forums for Indian and Victory you'll see issues with the tip over sensor are quite common and still haven't been resolved entirely.
4) Judging by the usual function of the sensor whether it be a ring or ball; the sensor itself is quite simple. Making it difficult for me to understand why it would be the issue. Making me wonder if something else is just loose.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
1) I have the service manual and followed all directions. In addition, I spoke with someone at the dealer (which is 3 hrs away) and they stated to check those thing which I checked.
My thoughts are a bad ground for the ToS, the ToS is installed incorrectly or just bad.
Too bad your closest dealer is 3hrs away. Perhaps you can convince them to order one and use it for troubleshooting. If the replacement solves the issue then they can submit a warranty claim with that information.

Reactions: WolfRider

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah that was my first thought too was to try eliminating it. Enough time on a dirt bike has made killswitch during oh crap moments automatic. However, unlike most tip sensors, they've incorporated the load module for the all of the electronics into it as well. I tried looking through the wiring to see what could be done but didn't want to have to splice anything to get the job done either.

Update: I've ordered another tip over sensor/load module to see if that resolves the issue.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Yeah that was my first thought too was to try eliminating it. Enough time on a dirt bike has made killswitch during oh crap moments automatic. However, unlike most tip sensors, they've incorporated the load module for the all of the electronics into it as well. I tried looking through the wiring to see what could be done but didn't want to have to splice anything to get the job done either.

Update: I've ordered another tip over sensor/load module to see if that resolves the issue.
Pls let us know if this fixes it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update:
Sorry it took quite a while to get the replacement sensor and lockwashers. Reinstalled all the other day and she seems to be behaving herself. Not to mention it felt good to back on two wheels again.

The weather is nothing but rain right now; however, once it clears up I'm hoping to put some miles in to see if it truly fixes the issue. Right now all appears to be solved though.

·
Registered
127 Posts
"Long story and 5hrs later I found out that I could disconnect the small 5V ref signal for it and it would at least run so I could get home."

How did you do this? I'm in the same spot as you was but I'm not mechanically inclined at all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts