Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Enjoyed a nice ride today

985 views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Airhead 
#1 · (Edited)
It is our 3 rd day of Spring with forecast for our drought conditions to continue for the next 3 months without any rain in sight. This morning a mate and I too off from our home town Newcastle on the east coast of Australia. to the upper Hunter Valley for a ride through, what use to be lush green wine, horse studs and cattle country. Along with the biggest industry, being coal mines along the routes. We have being having brought conditions in Australia for some time now ,in fact years now. The land is sure so dried out in this sun burnt country of ours The pastures we so brown and rivers dried up to less than a trickle of water if any at all. The poor horses and cattle were grazing on the driest fields I have seen in years. We turned partly out westward before turning back towards the the eastern roads, going through mining areas with Kangaroos being killed all over the roads from trucks and cars. They are normally a pain on dust or in the early morning hours but they were everywhere thought the day, they would have been looking for food and water. The smell of dead carcass of both Kangaroos and wombats was so nice to ride with (not) but with so many all along the road sides you soon had no choice but get use too it. In total the weather was a nice warm spring day average temps. being round the 27c so we will be in for another really hot dry summer, with bush fires and no water to put them out . We managed to do just under 400 kms or about 249 miles for the days ride ,not a lot but enough to enjoy the bike , the ride and the country side.

See less See more
#4 ·
Been watching Dorian and the distraction on Fox News here, I wish you all to be safe and no damage to you or your properties. We had 3 days of rain here last week the first for a long long time ,but it did not get to the farmers or into our dams where they are the driest and lowest level Inver 10 years. We need a few weeks of rain but good soaking rain not torrential . With some dry good riding days in between of course lol.I think us humans are funny as we are never happy with the weather even though we need rain we still want the dry days for our rides lol.Well this one dies anyway ,but I am greedy.

#10 ·
Yep she's pretty dry up this way. We did get 15mls of rain on Saturday though.
We're having to travel further and further to buy hay for the horses.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
I feel so much for you guys Peter, the land needs rain so bad I know how hard it is on the land but also know there are so many farmers doing it really tuff.I wish you all well and hope we all get some decent rain soon.

#7 ·
Being from Central California, and a farmer, I can certainly sympathize with your drought, we had a five year stretch that was really bad a few years ago. The it started raining again over the last three-four seasons, with two record setting years of preciptiation. Seen Texas, where I live now, have the same thing type of thing happen. Hopefully you all will get a change and the rain will start coming again soon.

#8 ·
My sympathies also. Here in SE Georgia it down pours about 4 days out of the week. My yard grass grows and inch tall two days after mowing. Of course we complain about the rain but we get plenty of dry moments. You just have to check the weather radar constantly. This earth is an amazing living thing and for the most part does a good job of taking care of our needs. (I wonder who could make such a thing?)

#12 ·
I'm further out towards the centre, it has rained properly once in two years for six hours and thinking back that was mostly drizzle.Things are that bad now that the Kangaroos and the Emus that had come into town last winter are no longer around this winter. Although my Great Dane took off after a 'Roo on our early morning walk the other day, thankfully she didn't catch it, it would have made a mess of her.

It is time to come back to the coast.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.