Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this and it’s insightful but doesnt allow me to completely understand normal vs problematic.
Scout heating issue

Bike is 2020 scout 60. New, 200 something miles. Performance AC, slip on, Fuel Moto tune.

When I ride in these mild spring temps and get caught at a light its not unusual, in fact its the norm, my temps go 200+. The fan does come on as expected and temps eventually drop to high 190’s until I begin moving again. Completely normal??

When moving I want to say the heat range is 176-188, something like this, obviously is varies somewhat.

I just do not have the experience/knowledge to know if this is a concern as it happens every single ride.
Where I live, PA, its not hot and humid yet, thats what concerns me, hotter summer months.
Thanks.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,380 Posts
The thermostat and the cooling fan are going to keep the coolant (water & antifreeze mixture) from boiling no matter what the outdoor temp & humidity is. I would say don't sweat it ( no pun intended).

·
Bronze member
1,462 Posts
The thermo stat opens at approximately 176 deg. I’m supprized it’s not a higher temp thermo.The fan comes on at about 190 -195 deg. Sitting in traffic you can see temps go to 208-210 deg. I live in south Texas ,so I see hot (and humid) temps here a lot. What you describe is normal. When I bought my new PVCX tune from Fuel Moto, I asked if they could make my fan come on at 180-185 deg. as part of my program. They did. Not sure it makes any difference though. The bike starts cooling back down immediately when moving. On the highway I see 176-178 deg. Temps creep up once stopped. This is Normal.

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
Remember that whereas the boiling point of water is 212 degrees, once it is mixed with coolant and in a pressurized system the boiling point is much higher. 50% coolant is about 225 degrees in a radiator, and it rises to over 250 in a more concentrated mix.

When I had my Scout I would see the temp rise above boiling point - 100c for us here - when sitting at lights in summer.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I paid particular attention to the temps today. Mine runs while cruising between 168 and 174, with kind of a focus on 172. Didn’t get any city riding or lights in today, just backroads

1 - 6 of 6 Posts