Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving up I-15 from Nevada through AZ and then through the gorge to St.George, UT and it was 92 degree out with a traffic accident up ahead. I figured with a liquid cooled motor I would be safe. At 220 degrees, the hot engine warning light went on. Temp went as high as 245. Once I got past the accident of about 5 miles, it returned to below 200.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I was driving up I-15 from Nevada through AZ and then through the gorge to St.George, UT and it was 92 degree out with a traffic accident up ahead. I figured with a liquid cooled motor I would be safe. At 220 degrees, the hot engine warning light went on. Temp went as high as 245. Once I got past the accident of about 5 miles, it returned to below 200.
In the Texas Hill Country, (high 80s to low 90s i averaged 182-184 on the move, and saw 210-212 sitting, but nothing higher. I way sitting for more than a few minutes though.

·
Registered
90 Posts
When i have got stuck in traffic temp gauge got to 210 then fan kicked in and brought temp back down to like 185. Slowly creeps back up to 210 then fan kicks in and temp drops again.

·
Registered
97 Posts
The fan turns on at 208 F, and turns off at 201 F.
The thermostat starts to open at 180 F, and is fully open at 203 F.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Has anyone seen these temps before? Is this something I need to address before my 10K service next month?

·
Registered
188 Posts
I have 1800 miles on my DH and saw 210 while sitting at a stop light yesterday.
I'm in Washington and we're still having 65° temps.
I thought it strange, but once I got moving temp returned to 187°

I don't recall hearing the fan come on.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,233 Posts
My Scout does that sometimes. I wonder what the threshold for the cooling fan is set at. The temp does go down quickly once the bike is moving just like your Challenger does.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have 1800 miles on my DH and saw 210 while sitting at a stop light yesterday.
I'm in Washington and we're still having 65° temps.
I thought it strange, but once I got moving temp returned to 187°

I don't recall hearing the fan come on.
Those temps I posted earlier are straight out of the service manual. You might be able to check if you're fan is coming on at the specified temp, and it not, it could just be as simple as a faulty sensor.

·
Bronze member
2,660 Posts
With temps in the 90s, I’m seeing a constant temp of 182-184 while moving. Yeah, at a stoplight, it‘ll start climbing fast with an ambient temp in the 90s.

·
Registered
97 Posts
With temps in the 90s, I’m seeing a constant temp of 182-184 while moving. Yeah, at a stoplight, it‘ll start climbing fast with an ambient temp in the 90s.
And you confirm that the fan is running at the stoplight, right?

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Did you check your coolant level under the seat ?
I took my seat off and didn't see anything but it was good to clean everything up under there. Then I read the manual and it said to remove the right side bag to check the coolant level. It was pretty close to the lower line cold, so I did have coolant. Since it went back to normal operating temps once I started moving I am not overly concerned. I will have the thermostat and fan operation checked at my 10,000 mile service.

·
Bronze member
2,660 Posts
And you confirm that the fan is running at the stoplight, right?
I didn’t pay attention to when the fan kicked on. I had the rear cylinder deactivation on and the stereo, so I couldn’t hear the fan and I didn’t look.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What antifreeze does Polaris use in the Challenger? I dont see it in the manual.

·
Founding member
477 Posts
Did you have the rear cylinder de-activation on?

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,293 Posts
What antifreeze does Polaris use in the Challenger? I dont see it in the manual.
I wondered the same thing. It's green so it's not Dexcool.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No I didn't have the rear cylinder deactivation on. I really didnt sit at a dead stop more than a couple times. It was just super slow and very hot and uphill for about 5 miles.

·
Bronze member
2,011 Posts
Indian seems to have their own coolant.
I looked for info a while back and there’s a slight variation from other brands. Which can also be said of those between brands.

As I recall, a couple of the main differences were percentage of the main ingredient (ethylene glycol) and the specific type of bitterness additive (coolant tends to be sweet and attractive to animals).
Also a form of salt.

Found the message where I tell the ingredients.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts