Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My uncle has an '03 Chief and due to circumstances out of his hands his engine is not only no longer serviceable but no longer rebuildable. We are looking for an engine to replace the PP100 with the least modifications (e.g. changing transmissions, moving engine mounts,) What engine would swap into the Chief with the least work, making more an engine swap and not a custom build at a shop. A swap we can do but money is a factor and we just want to get his bike up after a long while down. For what it's worth the vin is 5CDNNCAJ93G010420. Thanks for any and all input.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
you can easily drop an S&S engine in it....I've ridden one with an S&S 124" engine i it.......lots of get up and go.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it a straight swap? What about anything smaller then a 124. It's all 1 up cruising mostly in town.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Blackhawk Motorworks in Melbourne Florida has 6 already rebuilt and on the shelf. Give Frank a call - he'll fix you up.

INDIAN

-Michael

·
Founding member / Distinguished
Indians. LOTS of Indians
3,868 Posts
My uncle has an '03 Chief and due to circumstances out of his hands his engine is not only no longer serviceable but no longer rebuildable. We are looking for an engine to replace the PP100 with the least modifications (e.g. changing transmissions, moving engine mounts,) What engine would swap into the Chief with the least work, making more an engine swap and not a custom build at a shop. A swap we can do but money is a factor and we just want to get his bike up after a long while down. For what it's worth the vin is 5CDNNCAJ93G010420. Thanks for any and all input.
Stick with a PP100 .. they are out there.. even in 110 versions. ... isn't crazy horse still out there as well, with their version of the PP100?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My main focus was finding a reliable motor at lower cost. That isn't really an option if I have to stick with the pp100 that has been rebuilt and corrected, lol, but if that's what it takes then that's what it takes. Thanks to all for your well informed replies.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
If you don't want to stick with the Indian powerplus, you could also easily put an S&S 111 or 113 in it as well...pretty straight forward swap actually.......the 113 is a square motor...bore and stroke are the same. I have heard though that the 11 is smoother...even TP Engineering is going 111.

·
Registered
368 Posts
If you're not "picky" about what you put in your Chief, but just want to get it running and rideable, you can put a Harley Evo engine in with no modification. You can find them on ebay for $1000 more or less. A rebuilt PP 100 runs about $4800. You can get Ultra motors on ebay for $2500 and they work fine. S&S are more expensive but again a great motor. If my PP blows, I am going to put in an Ultima 124 if I can't afford a rebuilt PP 100.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Definitely not picky as the bike has been down for a long while. I noticed the PP100's are expensive and hard to come by unless done by like one of two well known and reputable shops. I almost feel like anything else would be an unnecessary gamble and at that price not worth it. Evo motors are a dime a dozen. Not complaining, I have three Harley's myself. Would the Evo mate to the PP100's transmission? Or would it be a swap of PP100 engine/tranny out and Evo engine/tranny in? If that's the case I can use the Evo out of my 98 RG.

·
Registered
254 Posts
The PP100 is pretty much an Evo style motor. There are few internal differences, and the bolt pattern is identical. You can bolt up an Evo 80 cu.in. without any issues. I've been told that its a pretty straight forward swap.

·
Registered
368 Posts
mmyjak is correct. The PP 100 had many similarities to the Evo platform and frame components. The 80 evo should be an afternoon switch. Honestly, very few people will know it's even an HD motor unless it's embossed on it somewhere.

If you want to ride, put something in it, get it going, and get on the road.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks man, that's exactly what I was looking for. The goal is to get it on the road for as cheap as possible and that will be accomplished with an Evo engine. I will let you guys know how the swap goes.

·
Bronze member
3,102 Posts
Just curious, why is it not rebuildable,and are you looking to sell it?I've been looking for a power plus to rebuild but have not done one yet,or even taken one apart.beautifully done motors and would look great in a custom frame

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have a Chief that has an S&S 124 in it. You can also get a new PP100 or ship your PP100 to one of the companies that work on these motors. Crazy Horse in Auburn Ohio is one of them. For the small price difference I would just get a new motor. Your old engine actually has some value for the parts. Good luck with your project.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts