Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.
I have a 2015 Roadmaster with a 116 kit, stage 3 cams, jackpot header and PCVX, cooling fans. I've been running the highest octane I can get which is 92 , on hot days 85 + degrees the bike pings under light throttle in 6th gear on slight grades, I usually downshift and it goes away mostly, but if the rpms are not kept up higher it's pretty noticable, and no I'm not lugging it
I just added a small amount of octane boost which gets rid of most of it but it still likes to ping some here and there, I know it's high compression and it's a common problem in most higher compression engines. should I just keep running octane booster ?
Is anyone experiencing this with the 116

·
Bronze member
2,268 Posts
Hi everyone.
I have a 2015 Roadmaster with a 116 kit, stage 3 cams, jackpot header and PCVX, cooling fans. I've been running the highest octane I can get which is 92 , on hot days 85 + degrees the bike pings under light throttle in 6th gear on slight grades, I usually downshift and it goes away mostly, but if the rpms are not kept up higher it's pretty noticable, and no I'm not lugging it
I just added a small amount of octane boost which gets rid of most of it but it still likes to ping some here and there, I know it's high compression and it's a common problem in most higher compression engines. should I just keep running octane booster ?
Is anyone experiencing this with the 116
Since you mention you have a PVCX: what/whose tune are you running?
The provider of your current tune might have an idea ...

Having said that: since the TS116 is runing with higher compression (11:1) than the TS111 fuel quality is more critical here ... but some small timing corrections (retards) for the right rpm/load ranges can do the trick!
( And btw people who already have examined the stock timing and fueling on TS116 factory tunes already have indicated that there is room for improvement, but maybe your current PVCX tune is borderline advanced too).

The FuelMoto ARTS (Advanced Remote Tuning Service, done by/with @CraigB1960 ) WILL help (highly recommended!) and can be purchased regardless where you got your PVCX from!

·
Registered
585 Posts
There are a few threads around this subject.

My 116 has always pinged under load while running the stock tune. Octane booster helps. But Fuelmoto and Craig will fix.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Mine pings a bit too in the same manner and conditions. A new map may be needed. I currently have the Dynojet map for my setup which is Stage 1 pipes, Indian Big Air Cleaner and Indian stage 3 kit. Anyone tried a Fuel Moto map or is there a generic one for this application? I will email them to see unless anyone has tried one with good success..

·
Silver member
4,681 Posts
Mine pings a bit too in the same manner and conditions. A new map may be needed. I currently have the Dynojet map for my setup which is Stage 1 pipes, Indian Big Air Cleaner and Indian stage 3 kit. Anyone tried a Fuel Moto map or is there a generic one for this application? I will email them to see unless anyone has tried one with good success..
If you purchased your PV3/PVCX from Fuelmoto, then you get free tune support (just fill out the Tune Request and supply the info). Since I fulfill the tune requests for FM, I send out two tunes, one they developed on the Dyno and 1 I developed. Very different tunes. I've found some engines run better with one and some with the other.

Your setup is supported by these tunes.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Awesome Craig. Thanks for the info. I did in fact buy my pvcx from Fuel Moto. I will fill out the tune request. I am considering changing my Indian stage one pipes for the stockers to quiet it down a bit. Also planning to add the Rinehart Slimline header. I think I saw a post where you mentioned that the stock muffler should not be a problem. Less noise is more appealing to me

·
Silver member
4,681 Posts
Awesome Craig. Thanks for the info. I did in fact buy my pvcx from Fuel Moto. I will fill out the tune request. I am considering changing my Indian stage one pipes for the stockers to quiet it down a bit. Also planning to add the Rinehart Slimline header. I think I saw a post where you mentioned that the stock muffler should not be a problem. Less noise is more appealing to me
Yes, I just replied to your other thread on the topic. You will be fine...though I would consider knocking the plugs out of the stock ones.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you purchased your PV3/PVCX from Fuelmoto, then you get free tune support (just fill out the Tune Request and supply the info). Since I fulfill the tune requests for FM, I send out two tunes, one they developed on the Dyno and 1 I developed. Very different tunes. I've found some engines run better with one and some with the other.

Your setup is supported by these tunes.
Hi
I think you may remember me, my name is Howard Witonsky and we talked on the phone a couple times, I used your tune service when I got the 116 kit done on my 2015 RM , if you remember I had a really erratic idle, the idle would go up and and basically surge from around 600-1400 rpms,
With the bike at a stop light in neutral, the bike would surge up and down cold also and stall at stop lights but the bike rode along great, unbelievable power, etc ,just serious idle issues, we thought it was a vacuum leak but never found one, if you remember I had propane and sprayed water in around the intake, if you remember we replaced both intake adapters as a last ditch effort and it changed nothing, also we never any fault codes, I'd say we in all had around 7-8 revisions on the map , we increased idle to around 1000 rpms and still it would just idle up and down like a yo yo, it wasn't a minor problem it was a pretty bad fluctuation that never would stacia even rpm number, My dealer bent over backwards and we just could noy figure it out. I installed the factory stage 3 map that comes with the big bore kit and the bike idled correctly which could only mean there was something wrong with the map I received from you guys, we did confirm I did recieve the correct map and my bike should of run fairly decently, I rode the bike for a while with it stock stage 3 map never to experience the idle issue again, about 6 months ago I installed the map back on from you guys and it began idling up and down again, I deleted the Maps from the device and contacted Dynojet and they supplied me with one of there base maps for the 116. I installed it in and the bike runs really decent with exception it does not have the performance that I experienced with the Maps I received from you but it idles dead steady on the tach,There is some pinging with Dynojets map and the stock stage 3 map from Indian, but I kind of contribute it to high compression and warm temps out. I know your very knowledgeable and I clearly remember talking to you about this problem and both of us where on the same page that we thought it was a vacuum leak. I never followed through with you because I gave up due to frustration, another dealer whom I talked with seems to think that its the jackpot header causing it not enough back pressure and they also told me there is sensitivity adjustment for the throttle grip sensor, they no longer tune bikes themselves , however they you LLOYD'S remote tuning service, I said no thanks. The word is that some of these bikes run great and some don't and there is no explanation , another dealer told me they have had so much trouble with it they just run the Indian stock maps only, What are your thoughts ?
Thanks

·
Senior member / bronze
1,662 Posts
My 116 has always had pining going on. Running jackpot & VooDoo. Have custom tune from Metro Millwakee Indian which works very closely with FuelMoto. Appearantly normal I’m told. I just keep using Lucas booster to help quiet it down. So I agree it’s worth having the professionals look at it, however don’t get your hopes up for a fix as some here will quickly say will be the case.

·
Silver member
4,681 Posts
Hi
I think you may remember me, my name is Howard Witonsky and we talked on the phone a couple times, I used your tune service when I got the 116 kit done on my 2015 RM , if you remember I had a really erratic idle, the idle would go up and and basically surge from around 600-1400 rpms,
With the bike at a stop light in neutral, the bike would surge up and down cold also and stall at stop lights but the bike rode along great, unbelievable power, etc ,just serious idle issues, we thought it was a vacuum leak but never found one, if you remember I had propane and sprayed water in around the intake, if you remember we replaced both intake adapters as a last ditch effort and it changed nothing, also we never any fault codes, I'd say we in all had around 7-8 revisions on the map , we increased idle to around 1000 rpms and still it would just idle up and down like a yo yo, it wasn't a minor problem it was a pretty bad fluctuation that never would stacia even rpm number, My dealer bent over backwards and we just could noy figure it out. I installed the factory stage 3 map that comes with the big bore kit and the bike idled correctly which could only mean there was something wrong with the map I received from you guys, we did confirm I did recieve the correct map and my bike should of run fairly decently, I rode the bike for a while with it stock stage 3 map never to experience the idle issue again, about 6 months ago I installed the map back on from you guys and it began idling up and down again, I deleted the Maps from the device and contacted Dynojet and they supplied me with one of there base maps for the 116. I installed it in and the bike runs really decent with exception it does not have the performance that I experienced with the Maps I received from you but it idles dead steady on the tach,There is some pinging with Dynojets map and the stock stage 3 map from Indian, but I kind of contribute it to high compression and warm temps out. I know your very knowledgeable and I clearly remember talking to you about this problem and both of us where on the same page that we thought it was a vacuum leak. I never followed through with you because I gave up due to frustration, another dealer whom I talked with seems to think that its the jackpot header causing it not enough back pressure and they also told me there is sensitivity adjustment for the throttle grip sensor, they no longer tune bikes themselves , however they you LLOYD'S remote tuning service, I said no thanks. The word is that some of these bikes run great and some don't and there is no explanation , another dealer told me they have had so much trouble with it they just run the Indian stock maps only, What are your thoughts ?
Thanks
Hey Howard,
I do not remember you. Are you sure we talked by phone? Perhaps Jamie at Fuelmoto? I just recently started to perform Indian support for Fuelmoto. But some of your comments do sound like we did.

You should have received two different tunes from Fuelmoto if I was involved, theirs and mine. They are very different, using very different strategies.

Mine would be very close to Dynojet’s with regard to timing tables, Fuelmoto’s is very different.

I have seen some very bad behavior from 116” bikes. A lot of it due to dealer mistakes and/or problems with intake leaks. But, if it runs well with the stock factory tune, then it should run well with an aftermarket tune. So there is an issue with the tune you were running from FM.

The dealer is very wrong on the Jackpot header. First backpressure is never a good thing on a four cycle engine. That is what the valves are for, to control the combustion process. What our engine likes is exhaust velocity to help scavenging of the cylinders. The jackpot header does not hinder this scavenging. In fact it behaves very close to the stock header which is a great performer.

I am more then happy to help you dial it in or for you to try another tune. Just contact me at Craigb at FuelmotoUSA dot com and we will go from there.

·
Silver member
4,681 Posts
Pinging is not normal and should be addressed through timing changes at the point on the ignition table that is causing the pinging. This is super easy to do with a log of the pinging so that area can be identified and corrected.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Pinging is not normal and should be addressed through timing changes at the point on the ignition table that is causing the pinging. This is super easy to do with a log of the pinging so that area can be identified and corrected.
Thank you for your help.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts