Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI-
I have the 2016 chief (dark horse). There is a rattling noise or engine ping when hitting a constant RPM...
Dose anyone else have this issue?

Not sure if it is the engine is pinging or if something is lose. The dealer does not seem to have an idea what the noise could be.

and yes I am using high octane fuel.

Square-

·
Banned
421 Posts
Who sent you? Who put you up to this? Lol.

Does it sound like the metal ball inside a spray paint can. Does it only start after the bike warms up for a couple of minutes? Does it only do it under no load but at constant throttle and go away when you back off or accelerate? Does it occur somewhere in the range of 1900 - 2600 rpms?

·
Rider
382 Posts
HI-
I have the 2016 chief (dark horse). There is a rattling noise or engine ping when hitting a constant RPM...

Not sure if it is the engine is pinging or if something is lose. The dealer does not seem to have an idea what the noise could be.

Square-
PV-CX From Fuelmoto will solve this and Many more Issues for You

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,805 Posts
HI-

Square-
Look at the "similar threads" at the bottom this thread, you may get your answer. As for the dealer, time for them to step up and call the mother ship!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yup I should have looked at the other threads. Sounds like it is pretty common issue - and Indian is not owning up to it.

And yes it has a metallic sound to it. not to be confused with Metallica...

·
Banned
421 Posts
Yup I should have looked at the other threads. Sounds like it is pretty common issue - and Indian is not owning up to it.

And yes it has a metallic sound to it. not to be confused with Metallica...
Actually clacking is often confused with Metallica so I am glad you made that clear. My next question was actually going to be "Does it sound like Metallica?" but you already answered it.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Yep sounds like the dreaded clacker.... mines been clacking since I bought it in august 2014, fixed it with louder pipes..........

·
Read Only
6,804 Posts
I don't know what you guys are talking about? First time I've heard anything about this. Are you sure it's not your oversized Harley wallet chain dragging behind you.

·
Read Only
6,804 Posts
Dec 9th 2016 under the title "stage 2 cams" there was a discussion nearly identical to this one. It seemed to offer solutions to exactly what your asking about...look it up.

·
Silver member
4,912 Posts
How high of fuel octane?

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
HI-

Square-
A PVCX from FuelMoto with their custom map cured that issue on my Chieftain and also upped the overall performance.

>---------> >---------> >--------->

Live Free - Ride Hard - Die Well

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
Maybe if we give him same answer several times, he'll get the message !

>---------> >---------> >--------->

Live Free - Ride Hard - Die Well

·
Read Only
6,804 Posts
...and perpetuate ANOTHER psydo clacking thread. I'm sensing a trend here. Fill the forum with negative issues regarding Indian motorcycles and when newcomers visit they are inundated and become skeptical about investing in Indian. I'm not saying Indian is perfect, but there seems to be a concerted effort to diminish the brand, and this thread exposes that to a tee.

I'll even call out the moderators, they know of this thread and haven't moved it to the proper forum catagory, instead they leave it in General Discussion.

I'm laid up just having back surgery and can hang out here doing a little vigianty work all day.

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
...and perpetuate ANOTHER psydo clacking thread. I'm sensing a trend here. Fill the forum with negative issues regarding Indian motorcycles and when newcomers visit they are inundated and become skeptical about investing in Indian. I'm not saying Indian is perfect, but there seems to be a concerted effort to diminish the brand, and this thread exposes that to a tee.

I'll even call out the moderators, they know of this thread and haven't moved it to the proper forum catagory, instead they leave it in General Discussion.

I'm laid up just having back surgery and can hang out here doing a little vigianty work all day.
I have long suspected a well orchestrated effort to derail Indian success.
One thing is for certain when something like this surfaces, there will be a money trail.
When you follow this money trail, let's call it The Yellow Brick Road, the first intersection is the 2016 Presidential Election.
From there we make a hard left turn and end up squarely in the camp of the Russians.

The Russians have had a hand in every computer thingy since the Commodore 64 days.
They hack into everything.
Is it unlikely to think that we Indian owners are under cyber attack from the Kremlin?

All you have to do is look at the sagging Ural sales....I rest my case.

·
Original member / Distinguished
5,753 Posts
Does this pinging or rattling go away if you down shit one gear when it happens? Seems like a reasonable question to me. I think far too many are trying to ride in too high a gear myself. They want that low potato potato sound for some reason. Might be wrong but I wonder if this sound does go away with a gear change. If not one then two gear down. Or is it always there no matter what gear?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts