Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Bronze member
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen: Last night,after returning home from alittle ride,I happened to notice that I still had a bottle of 104 Octane Booster setting on the shelf,which I used to use in my performance vehicles in the past,but didn't really need it anymore because I no longer have any performance vehicles.So,for shits and giggles,I dumped approximately 3 oz.of it into the bikes gas tank just to use it up,then forgot all about it.
So this morning,while out for alittle cruise,I couldn't help but notice that my throttle response on my Indian was unusually quicker for some reason,but couldn't figure out why?? Even at lower rpm in sixth speed, just cracking the throttle ever so slightly, would set me back against my back rest which was blowing my mind,cause the motor was performing so well,yet I still couldn't figure out the WHY??? So after an hour or so of enjoying this new found power,and thinking about it,"DAWN FINALLY BROKE ON MARBLE HEAD".

My point,which I thought I'd share with you guys: If ya wanna see alittle improvement in your bikes' throttle response,especially at low rpm in high gear,try alittle of this stuff and you be the judge.

Now that I am aware of this,rather then use up the bottle I have to get rid of it,I just ordered some more from Amazon.Remember!!! Me may be DUMB POLOCK,but me no STUPID POLOCK!!! lol lol Dummy Dave!!!

·
Silver member
4,830 Posts
I accidentally put magnets around my fuel hoses the other day, daaaammm! :p

(What kind of fuel was in your tank and how much before you added the octane booster?)

·
Bronze member
3,650 Posts
Gentlemen: Last night,after returning home from alittle ride,I happened to notice that I still had a bottle of 104 Octane Booster setting on the shelf,which I used to use in my performance vehicles in the past,but didn't really need it anymore because I no longer have any performance vehicles.So,for shits and giggles,I dumped approximately 3 oz.of it into the bikes gas tank just to use it up,then forgot all about it.
So this morning,while out for alittle cruise,I couldn't help but notice that my throttle response on my Indian was unusually quicker for some reason,but couldn't figure out why?? Even at lower rpm in sixth speed, just cracking the throttle ever so slightly, would set me back against my back rest which was blowing my mind,cause the motor was performing so well,yet I still couldn't figure out the WHY??? So after an hour or so of enjoying this new found power,and thinking about it,"DAWN FINALLY BROKE ON MARBLE HEAD".

My point,which I thought I'd share with you guys: If ya wanna see alittle improvement in your bikes' throttle response,especially at low rpm in high gear,try alittle of this stuff and you be the judge.

Now that I am aware of this,rather then use up the bottle I have to get rid of it,I just ordered some more from Amazon.Remember!!! Me may be DUMB POLOCK,but me no STUPID POLOCK!!! lol lol Dummy Dave!!!

Octane boost obviously helps prevent detonation knock. The allows the ECU too allow the timing to stay more advanced, more advanced more power.

·
Bronze member
3,049 Posts
I read a study on this alibi not bikes... a Ford F150 Eco Boost Twin Turbo V-6, Honda CRV, Dodge Charger... the Ford and Honda both recommend 87 Octane while the Dodge was 89... anyway they went with 91 premium because overall in the US that is the Octane of premium... the only one that gained any power was the Ford... none of them gained any mileage to speak of... and the Ford power gain was 3 horsepower.... for a 5500lb. truck not noticeable... bottom line to the study was run what the owners manual says and don't waste any money on buying premium... but if you had a 104 Octane Booster that's quite a bit more than 91..

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Sorry, Davetac1, higher octane gas has no greater energy content than 87 or 89. The only appreciable difference is the blend of anti-knock compounds. 91 has a slower burn rate and is suited for higher compression engines where you don't want heat and pressure to prematurely ignite the A/F mix.

As stated, there is a chance -- almost more of a guess -- that the even slower burn rate of your gac with the "octane booster" allows the engine to advance the timing a bit more. There is no reason to add octane booster, and for the price you pay, any true increase in performance is negligible, if not unmeasurable.

There are some pretty sophisticate engineers who know a lot more about combustion science and technology than most anyone here. I'll stick with what they say.

·
Bronze member
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All I was saying is that there was a noticeable difference in throttle response that I couldn't figure out.That's it!!! I wasn't trying to gain anything,I was only trying to get rid of something that I didn't need anymore,but discovered that it actually did something for low speed light throttle response which I found quite interesting.So I thought I'd pass it along in case anyone else wanted to try it. I wasn't looking for any big power gains.The problem with this machine,like a lot of other models is,it's too dam big and heavy to jump over tall buildings in a single bound!! lol lol If ya wanna go fast in a hurry,then you have the WRONG machine.But if ya like a nice quiet,smooth,comfortable ride with some decent torque,then this machine is for you. Dave!!!

·
Silver member
4,830 Posts
Yeah, do the math.

3 ounce on 3 gallon is like 1/100th. If that needs to raise the octane by 1 (one) point, it has to be octane 200 what you throw in...

Let alone if you want to raise it by more...

Right?

·
Bronze member
2,822 Posts
You can go to any small air port,usually,and fill a gas can.but unless you have a high compression engine,it wont help much.but sounds cool at the bar",I'm running avgas,try to keep up".

·
Registered
126 Posts
I don't know enough about the computer that manages the 111 and it's timing, some modern engines do have the capability to up their performance with higher octane fuels.
It'd be interesting to see someone with a dyno do a couple runs on 87 and a couple runs on 93.
My guess is there would be better real world performance on the higher octane fuel.
Might run even better on Avgas like the last guy mentioned- until the lead starts building up.
Hope someone out there does the dyno test.

·
Bronze member
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
These machines call for high test gas.And I could be mistaken,but I believe AV gas is 115 octane,and quite EXPENSIVE.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
yrs ago back in the Carb days. bike shops use to sell these small tubes of Rocket fuel. i put half of one in tank. sure did notice extra power/performance. after reading some of these post. an life experiences. the performance sure does increase. i compare it to few times yrs ago i had to put 87 in a HD it would knock an cluck an could hardly get out of its own way. Higher octane helps bike run hotter an perform better, my concern would be are there any drawbacks say for the O rings ect...

·
Bronze member
2,822 Posts
We like to build bar hopper racers,so anyway my son and I built a shovelhead,with a balanced bottom end and point ignition.that way we could turn 7500 rpm.we were out running every body.this one guy sunk thousands into his engine with high compression pistons and compression releases just to start it.he never did address the main reason he kept losing. He had electronic ignition with a rev limiter set to 5500.and a six speed.we had less shifting with higher rpms,even with less hp,we could smoke him,even though he had to run racing fuel .

·
Silver member
4,830 Posts
I don't know enough about the computer that manages the 111 and it's timing, some modern engines do have the capability to up their performance with higher octane fuels.
That’s not how things work, it’s rather the other way around.

An engine is designed to perform optimally with fuel that has a certain octane number. 91 or 93 for instance. If you use fuel that has a lower octane number it may knock under certain circumstances, which is sensed by the knock sensor and makes the ecu change ignition timing, reducing power.

If you were to use fuel that has a higher octane number (so it doesn’t knock), it won’t make more power. It just runs as it should. High octane fuel does not have more energy.

In fact, significantly higher octane fuel burns slower and could burn your exhaust valves if you don’t adjust the ignition timing accordingly. High compression racing engines that run high octane fuel have the ignition timing changed to suit.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I remember reading in an old Dirt Bike magazine (or Dirt Rider) where they took a motorcycle motor and dynoed it several times. They kept dropping the octane. The highest octane did the lowest horsepower and the lowest seemed to be doing the best but it knocked so hard it put a hole in the piston. Basically running the lowest octane that didn't cause detonation gave the best power.

Having a knock sensor will change the timing but only to the point of the octane the motor was designed for. A knock sensor lets you get away with running lower quality fuel than you normally could, it isn't going to make "extra" power from higher octane.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts