Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just opened up the spring IMRG mailing. Inside, the beautiful Indian Motorcycle Spring 2020 magazine has an interesting article on page 007 titled Rider Knowledge. Point 3 says Use the Same Type of Oil. Recently Indian Motorcycle engineers approved full synthetic 15w40 for all Indian motorcycle makes and models. Chief , Chieftain, Roadmaster, etc. Are any of you doing that now or plan to?

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,685 Posts
In a colder climate I would. Understand what weight viscosity means. 15W40 mean that the 15 w means that the oil will flow cold like a straight 15 weight oil when in cold environment. The 40 means that it will flow like straight 40 weight when warm. That oil will be perfectly fine in a 111 engine. Not meaning to start another oil thread but just explaining the basics. Dean

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oil threads are a slippery slope...
It was interesting to read that engineers recommend 15w40 across the board.

·
Bronze member
3,440 Posts
well IMO it was a typo... first the 15W40 according to the article has to be 100% synthetic... last year the engineers approved Indians 15W-65 Scout oil for the 111's... that's why I think it's a typo... I guess if they publish a correction in the summer issue we'll know for sure...

Reactions: GreatWhite

·
Rider
1,077 Posts
Getting the 2016 Chieftain out of warm Winter storage this Sunday, going to put Driven HD 15w50 full synthetic in it as well as K&P Lifetime oil filter

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well IMO it was a typo... first the 15W40 according to the article has to be 100% synthetic... last year the engineers approved Indians 15W-65 Scout oil for the 111's... that's why I think it's a typo... I guess if they publish a correction in the summer issue we'll know for sure...
Typo makes sense

·
Bronze member
2,735 Posts
Speaking of type-o's .. 15W-65 ?
Don't think so..
Try again ?

·
Bronze member
1,730 Posts
I have been using Klotz 15-60 in my TS111 for over 20,000 miles. An oil doesn't need to be "approved" by the manufacture to be used. Use a 10-30, prolly not a good idea in a big v-twin, a 15-50,10-40 20-50,etc all would be ok. i have run ALL these weights (cept the 10-30). Waaaay too much is made of viscosity.

RACNRAY

Reactions: Indian-Corey

·
Registered
364 Posts
Getting the 2016 Chieftain out of warm Winter storage this Sunday, going to put Driven HD 15w50 full synthetic in it as well as K&P Lifetime oil filter

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk
Is that lifetime oil filter worth the money in your opinion?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Rider
1,077 Posts

I got mine (K&P part number S1) on eBay for $112 shipped free, they are out there for a better price if you look!
I only have 25 miles since I installed the K&P filter with the Driven oil, so have not much time with it, it does filter down to 35 micron, the housing acts as a mini-cooler, the gasket is of X design, so it's reversible(and they send an extra gasket with the filter), the thing that struck me is the extreme high quality of all components of the filter, (they claim it flows oil 7 times faster than a paper filter, the engine does not have to labor as hard to drive the oil pump, so it frees up about 2 hp), it should pay for itself in oil changes eventually...yes I do think the filter is worth the money....especially if you can find one around $100 -- $110

·
Silver member
5,505 Posts
Imho no. I’d always be afraid I wouldn’t get it as clean as a new disposable one.

I also have a hard time believing a paper filter saps away 2hp extra. That’s a lot.

Someone got before/after graphs?

·
Bronze member
1,730 Posts

The filter on my skoot is almost 20 years old, is on it's FIFTH bike and has over 200,000 miles on it. The filter on my 198rwhp Busa has been on it for 18 years. It is a great product and If you have the means to clean and service the filter (which is not hard to do) then get one.
Years ago I performed a test to see if there was a drop in engine temperature. We swapped the stock filter for a Scotts filter on a CBR1000. The CBR had a digital coolant temp display and the owner reported a 3-4 dg drop in coolant temp, so that proved one of their claims.

RACNRAY

Reactions: Wyobob44

·
Registered
364 Posts
The filter on my skoot is almost 20 years old, is on it's FIFTH bike and has over 200,000 miles on it. The filter on my 198rwhp Busa has been on it for 18 years. It is a great product and If you have the means to clean and service the filter (which is not hard to do) then get one.
Years ago I performed a test to see if there was a drop in engine temperature. We swapped the stock filter for a Scotts filter on a CBR1000. The CBR had a digital coolant temp display and the owner reported a 3-4 dg drop in coolant temp, so that proved one of their claims.

RACNRAY
And what would cleaning the element entail? Like a parts washer type cleaning? Solvent and parts brush? Compressed air? I have probably everything I need, I'm just not familiar with this. Years ago I had an old Chevy truck that had the metal cartridge housing and you installed a filter element inside that, but you just put in a new insert.

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My Flo oil filter, a PCS1 is a cleanable as well. The procedure to clean is to clean the stainless steel filter element, spring and housing with any degreasing agent like solvent, kerosene, or contact /brake cleaner., even common dish soap and water.
Flush into a light colored container, if inspection of trapped debris is desired. Lightly blow air through the filter from the inside out to remove any remaining particles or cleaning agent.

The filtration is to 35 microns and is proven in aerospace, nascar, indy and formula 1. Blah blah blah. Lol
Hope this assists you.

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Rider
620 Posts

They're not for what most of them cost. You pay what, 15 for oem or 8 for 3rd party. 1 oil change a year. It'll be 9 years before that filter starts paying for itself. Plus add in you have to clean it

·
Rider
620 Posts
... and heavily debated on bobistheoilguy..
Ya the only time I ever hear people spouting good about them are the ones who bought it trying to justify their purchases. I've yet to see any real conclusive tests to make show me they're worth the money. The only POSITIVE side I've read from them is they're great for race teams and what not to open up and see what kinda debris is inside. For people riding? Nah, I'll stick with the disposables. They look cool, and if you have the time, the cleaners and paitience on making sure you get them clean to how they're supposed to be sure, I'm not going to tell anyone how to spend their money, go for it. Not my bike, not my money, have at it.

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well I actually had bought it for one of my cars several years ago. It was sitting in my parts bin almost nib. I was not selling them or the idea to anyone, merely explaining the service procedure for the one I have as another member asked. I removed the PCS1 before selling one of my cars. I looked it up and was surprised that it was good for my 2014 Chieftain as well. Money already spent and even more money to save.
Definitely each to their own. It's like Indian. Some will buy a Japanese bike instead. Do whatever you want to do in complete freedom. That makes a great country.
If a rider puts on loads of miles it may be worth it, it may not be.
It's cheaper than any accessory I have bought from Indian to add on to my Chieftain.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts