Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased the Indian oil kit for my RM and changed the oil yesterday but noticed no engine oil weight listed on the bottles, but only Indicated semi-synthetique, anyone know what the weight is for the Indian oil kit.

Thanks

Ron

·
Rider
1,190 Posts
Indian recommends the use of INDIAN MOTORCYCLE Premium Synthetic Blend 20W-40 Engine Oil for your motorcycle. This oil is formulated with synthetic-based oil and premium engine additive which have physical properties that meet API SM and ILSAC GF-4 specifications.
Newer 111s and 116s factory engines use 6 qts , Oil choice is 🥴 .

·
Bronze member
2,733 Posts
Hey, so far this is a lousy excuse for an oil thread..

Maybe someone needs to say something stupid first.. I'll do it.

·
Bronze member
2,733 Posts
So, can I run Scout oil in my 111's ? It's Indian oil, it's full synthetic, it seems to work in Scouts....?

Reactions: Lost Hillbilly

·
Registered
286 Posts
My latest IRG magazine states that 15w-40 is now approved for 111 bikes.
Stated it was for better starts in cold temps.
We shall see......

·
Registered
221 Posts
Indian recommends the use of INDIAN MOTORCYCLE Premium Synthetic Blend 20W-40 Engine Oil for your motorcycle. This oil is formulated with synthetic-based oil and premium engine additive which have physical properties that meet API SM and ILSAC GF-4 specifications.
Newer 111s and 116s factory engines use 6 qts , Oil choice is .
5.5 on the 111 any more tends to overflow out into air filter clogging it with oil .

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
3,439 Posts
My latest IRG magazine states that 15w-40 is now approved for 111 bikes.
Stated it was for better starts in cold temps.
We shall see......
full synthetic... I think it's a typo... I think they mean 15W - 65 that they sell as it was approved last year

·
Rider
1,591 Posts
Yes you can run the “Scout” oil in the 111 and it’s a full synthetic. I literally just changed from the semi synthetic 20W to the full synthetic 15 at the recommendation of my mechanic when doing my 5000 mile service. Conveniently enough after Craig Bs Stage 2 tune and switching oil I have almost no valve train noise sounds like a sewing machine . All I hear now is the air coming in the open air cleaner and exhaust.

·
Bronze member
2,733 Posts
Yes you can run the “Scout” oil in the 111 and it’s a full synthetic. I literally just changed from the semi synthetic 20W to the full synthetic 15 at the recommendation of my mechanic when doing my 5000 mile service. Conveniently enough after Craig Bs Stage 2 tune and switching oil I have almost no valve train noise sounds like a sewing machine . All I hear now is the air coming in the open air cleaner and exhaust.
Now we're talking !
Finally, a good solid Oil Thread post !

I'll try to light the afterburners..

·
Bronze member
2,733 Posts
So I figured Scout oil would cure valvetrain noises, but what about curing clacking ?
Maybe by creating a heavier, slippery, film on the cylinder walls .. or something ?

Anyone have their Clacking lessen with Scout oil ?

·
Rider
1,591 Posts
So I figured Scout oil would cure valvetrain noises, but what about curing clacking ?
Maybe by creating a heavier, slippery, film on the cylinder walls .. or something ?

Anyone have their Clacking lessen with Scout oil ?
Don’t know about the clacking issue mines a 2018 Vintage it never had the clacking problem that the earlier versions may have had.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts