Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Read Only
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You want to use Polaris oil filter p/n 2540086 for the exact replacement. The oil filter in the Scout kit is not as long and has less filtration material. You can purchase 4 qts of the 15W-60 full synthetic oil, oil filter and drain plug gaskets for nearly the same price as the Scout service kit.
A note on refilling the crankcase: Only add 2-3/4 qts of new oil to start with, start engine-idle only (you'll hear some clattering till oil pressure comes up), Let the oil circulate at idle for 2 minutes. With the bike standing straight up, add a quarter of a quart of oil at a time, run engine for 1/2 minute. Repeat this till the level is correct in the sight glass. My total fill was 3-1/4 qts.
Reason behind this: If you try to add all the oil at once, it all ends up in the rear sump and will give you a false reading on the fill level on the sight glass.

·
Read Only
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The manual was followed for the first 500 mile service and this is when I found that if you add a full three qts, the rear sump becomes over filled and gives you a false oil fill level on the sight glass. Even if you run it the 30 seconds, like the manual states. On my first oil & filter service, on any bike I've owned, I perform a double oil & filter change to remove as many of the break-in contaminates as possible. On the first change, this is when I came across what I described earlier, the new oil turned dirty (darker) quite quickly as I let it run for a couple of minutes and the oil level still showed all the way to the top in the sight glass.
On the second oil & filter change, the method I described above didn't cause the same issue in the sight level glass and the oil coloration remained looking as clean, new oil in the sight glass.
Now this is what I came across and you all can take it for what it's worth.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts