Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 2014 stock chieftain. It has started making a loud knocking noise at about 65 mph and up . As I give it gas. Let off gas and you don’t hear it anymore.
Set the cruise at those speeds and can hear it. Sounds fine idling, and at lower speeds.
Just turned 40,000 miles. Had been hearing it for about 3000 miles, I believe it is getting louder.
So I’m not riding it as the dealers are booked 3 weeks out, and can’t get it check out till then.
Anyone ever had something like that?

·
Bronze member
3,102 Posts
IMO,FWIW,Indian is using the wrong oil.I too am now over the 40,000 mile mark and my motor is running quieter then it ever has.But,I did NOT,and will NOT follow Polaris' oil recommendations,instead using what has worked for me over the past 30 some odd years and close to,if not over, a million miles.However,I always allow the motor to warm up so the oil gets to where it needs to be,BEFORE driving off and I do NOT beat the shit out of it,using said machine for the purpose it was intended to be used for.In other words,if you're good to it,it'll be good to you.Other wise,it's gonna hit ya right where it hurts the most,in the pocket book.But that's me and I'm not too bright.Dave!!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
IMO,FWIW,Indian is using the wrong oil.I too am now over the 40,000 mile mark and my motor is running quieter then it ever has.But,I did NOT,and will NOT follow Polaris' oil recommendations,instead using what has worked for me over the past 30 some odd years and close to,if not over, a million miles.However,I always allow the motor to warm up so the oil gets to where it needs to be,BEFORE driving off and I do NOT beat the shit out of it,using said machine for the purpose it was intended to be used for.In other words,if you're good to it,it'll be good to you.Other wise,it's gonna hit ya right where it hurts the most,in the pocket book.But that's me and I'm not too bright.Dave!!!
I’m bought it used with 13,000 miles. Switched to Amsoil at my first oil change and ever since.
Don’t run it hard at all. Not sure if it is something serious, or it just turning into a clacker.

·
Bronze member
4,304 Posts
Have a 2014 stock chieftain. It has started making a loud knocking noise at about 65 mph and up . As I give it gas. Let off gas and you don’t hear it anymore.
Set the cruise at those speeds and can hear it. Sounds fine idling, and at lower speeds.
Just turned 40,000 miles. Had been hearing it for about 3000 miles, I believe it is getting louder.
So I’m not riding it as the dealers are booked 3 weeks out, and can’t get it check out till then.
Indian has gone through 3 designs of the CAM Chain tensioner. The latest one is pretty heavy duty compared to the first gen that's in your bike. Chances are it is no longer applying tension to the cam chain causing the valve train to be loose. A former Indian Mechanic I know who has his own custom shop and does tons of engine work on Indians finds that on earlier models that the cam chain tensioners are shot especially on higher mileage bikes. There is a reason Indian went through 2 re-designs. The cam chain tensioner is a cheap easy fix.

·
Rider
963 Posts
Would the 2018 bikes have this new 3rd design. The reason I ask is I recently did Hanson racing high lift springs and Indian stage 3 cams and have a lot more valve train engine noise than I had before these modifications. The bike runs very strong so I do not think it has anything to do with my installation. I was very careful to make sure all cam markers were lines up as well as cam to crank marks were also properly aligned. To be honest this job is really hard to screw up.

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
Here is version 1 and version 3. The 2018 bikes had mostly version 2 - or so I was told about my 2018 bike when the guy installed Lloyds cams for me. They only sell V.3 these days.

The problem with V.1 was that the plunger could rotate a little and the ratchet would lock it up and stop the spring from pushing the plunger against the chain.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Keep us posted please on what the problem was. Everyone here would love to know. P.S. We know it's not the oil.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Keep us posted please on what the problem was. Everyone here would love to know. P.S. We know it's not the oil.
I will keep updates, just have to wait until Sept 8th. That’s the soonest the dealer could get it in. Called 3 different Indian shops and they all are booked about 3 weeks out.
Taking it to Elkhart Indian shop. I have been very pleased every time I had to deal with them .

·
Bronze member
3,102 Posts
I’m bought it used with 13,000 miles. Switched to Amsoil at my first oil change and ever since.
Don’t run it hard at all. Not sure if it is something serious, or it just turning into a clacker.
Maybe the previous owner beat on it, not allowing it to warm up before driving off,or, never changed,checked and or added oil to it if and when needed,hence the noise and possibly the reason it was traded.But ya won't really know one way or the other until the shop checks it out.Is this dealer you're bringing it to the place ya bought it from??

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Maybe the previous owner beat on it, not allowing it to warm up before driving off,or, never changed,checked and or added oil to it if and when needed,hence the noise and possibly the reason it was traded.But ya won't really know one way or the other until the shop checks it out.Is this dealer you're bringing it to the place ya bought it from??
No, taking to a different dealer .

·
Rider
963 Posts
Here is version 1 and version 3. The 2018 bikes had mostly version 2 - or so I was told about my 2018 bike when the guy installed Lloyds cams for me. They only sell V.3 these days.

The problem with V.1 was that the plunger could rotate a little and the ratchet would lock it up and stop the spring from pushing the plunger against the chain.

View attachment 599711
Ok mine is definitely NOT version 3! Actually looks more like version 1! This is probably my problem with the sudden increase in engine noise with the new high lift springs. Thanks for the pics. Makes it crystal clear!

·
Bronze member
4,304 Posts
Ok mine is definitely NOT version 3! Actually looks more like version 1! This is probably my problem with the sudden increase in engine noise with the new high lift springs. Thanks for the pics. Makes it crystal clear!
All the bikes with stage 3 and Lloyd’s high lift cams are noisy. What you might be hearing is the valves slamming shut as they are opened further and the heavy duty springs slam them closed. Totally normal, the more aggressive the valve lift the louder the valve train. Not to say your tensioner doesn’t need to be checked.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So the dealer found a bad bearing on the clutch shaft . All is quiet again .

·
Rider
963 Posts
All the bikes with stage 3 and Lloyd’s high lift cams are noisy. What you might be hearing is the valves slamming shut as they are opened further and the heavy duty springs slam them closed. Totally normal, the more aggressive the valve lift the louder the valve train. Not to say your tensioner doesn’t need to be checked.
While I understand what you are saying here my bike had way more noise than I felt it should. I expected some increase in valve train noise but the amount I was getting was embarrassing. The issue turned out to be the valve lifters. After talking to Hansen Racing I was told that the lifters in our Indians are built to minimum standards to meet stock springs by several different suppliers. According to them it depends on who was supplying lifters at the time you bike was built and how tight that lifter manufacturer was paying attention to their production standards. According to them this is why some engines are louder than others. Apparently Indian buys the lifters form the cheapest manufacturer they can find. So I called Jeff at Indian v twin performance. After talking to him I bought a set of his high performance lifters and push rods. Tore her all down again and installed said lifters and push rods. Problem solved!

·
Bronze member
3,102 Posts
Did ya try the little trick I posted about [which I read about in the SM] regarding lifter noise?? It bleeds the air out of em so the oil can get into em.Hence they run a lot quieter,atleast mine did!!

·
Rider
963 Posts
Did ya try the little trick I posted about [which I read about in the SM] regarding lifter noise?? It bleeds the air out of em so the oil can get into em.Hence they run a lot quieter,atleast mine did!!
If you are asking me yes I did. It made no difference at all in my case. I soaked the lifters I got from Jeff at Indian V Twin in oil overnight so there was no air in the lifters when I installed them so running this procedure was not needed.

·
Bronze member
3,102 Posts
I'm not talking about after market lifters,I'm talking about the ones that came in the machine from the factory!!

·
Rider
963 Posts
I'm not talking about after market lifters,I'm talking about the ones that came in the machine from the factory!!
Yes I realize you were asking about the factory lifters. I tried the procedure that is in the manual BEFORE I switched out to aftermarket lifters. Once the way you described how to do it with letting it warm up then exactly as described in the manual. Neither of those procedures worked. My point was that I did not have to worry about air in the aftermarket lifters at time of installation because I had soaked them in oil overnight.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts