Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Have a 2015 Vintage with engine noise once it warms up under load. I think it's the clacking noise I hear other Indian owners complain about. Took it by the dealer and the mechanic told me it's the valves making a little noise that goes away with more mileage...mine has 2k miles on her. My question is this, is there a different oil I could use that might quiet her down a little? Currently using the Indian hybrid synthetic that the dealer put in at the first service.

Dave

·
Founding member
992 Posts
I have not heard of anybody saying a different oil made much of a difference. A couple of guys have said things improved as they put some miles on the bike but for the most part things don't get better and some say it gets worse. Mine has pretty much stayed the same. I wish you the best on things getting better but I suspect things will only get better when Indian decides to man up and fix these bikes.

·
Registered
985 Posts
If you read some if the posts on this subject you will get varying opinions on what the noise is. Seems every dealer has a different story to tell. You will hear valve seats, piston slap, belt and cush drive, bearings, old toe nails and who knows what else. The noise is different between the 2014's and the 2015's. That much I know. From my experience riding the two one after the other, the 14's are a deeper note-"the clack". 15's have a higher pitched noise halfway between a click and a clack. It is the same cadence and at the same rpms. The actual problem or condition is a closely guarded corporate secret-something like the recipe for Coca Cola. I know this is no help but corporate is keeping the lid on this. I can't say I blame them because there haven't been enough failures to warrant a fix and there are those that would take this to the SJC. Most people would be satisfied with an explanation and could then decide on a course of action but that has yet to come.

·
11th Light Infantry Brigade
3,603 Posts
I think the whole clacker thing is that almost all of us here have had other bikes. I think we compare that experience to this new proprietary engine. In that comparison we have certain expectations on what one would consider acceptable engine noise. If the sound of the 111 differs from our experience and expectation, then it is considered an oddity. Yet this clacking noise does not effect performance from the many threads and post I've read. I highly respect the years of experience on this forum, and expect that the 111 is a different beast from anything we've seen. I plan to ride the living shit out of mine and if it's going to break, I hope it breaks in warranty

·
Super Moderator
4,975 Posts
Use the search function, top rightish. You can enter clack, engine noise, valve noise, etc., and read to your hearts desire. Fact of the matter is; Indian knows about it but says there is nothing wrong with the engine and will not effect long term reliability of the 111. There are as many guesses, mystery snake oil "possible" solutions but no one has ever come up with a cause of the clack nor has there been a reported (here) failure BECAUSE OF the clack.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,084 Posts
Evening Folks,
As mentioned above, this subject has been explored pretty thoroughly. In my experience large displacement, air-cooled, pushrod twins can be expected to clatter some. This has proven true for Triumphs, BSA's, BMW air-head boxer's, Moto Guzzi's, H-D's, and Springfield Indians. Victory's, with chain-drive SOHV cams, whirr. Jap bikes sound a lot like sewing machines. If my solid-lifter Knucklehead stops clattering I immediately stop and adjust valve lash.

The scarcity of reports of catastrophic engine failures with the TS 111 suggests that the noises you hear are not a problem. Not to sound flip, but if the racket bothers you too much, we are in a golden age for motorcycles, and there is surely one out there you could love.
--- Randall

·
Senior member / gold
6,989 Posts
If you get a loud enough muffler (or lack there of) the noise will cease to annoy you. Just kidding! Polaris/Indian has probably logged more hours on the 111 than all of us combined. If there were problems with the design or the engineering, it would have not made it to market. As Randall has so eloquently put it, "Every engine has it's own unique character and sound signature, and you cannot change what cannot be changed." I am paraphrasing him, of course! LOL! I would like a sweeter, more mellow sound emanating from my exhaust, so I think that is my path to Nirvana! There is almost everything I love about my bike, and I will not let a little sound disrupt my Chi! Hahaha!
chi - qi - ch'i - The Skeptic's Dictionary - Skepdic.com

·
Speak softly and carry a big stick. Teddy R
1,529 Posts
I work for John Deere Product Development Center or PEC. They run the engines for thousands upon thousands of hours till something breaks or they decide that it's good. Same with every other part of the tractor frames, electronics, etc.. I would say that Polaris/Indian/Victory does the same thing at their Product Development Center or whatever they call it. Hell, every tractor is put on a dyno before it leaves the Assembly Floor, just to test it before the farmer does. So I think that the noise is something just common to the TS111, like the potato potato that HD has. Plus all my HD's had metallic sounds (clicking, clacking, etc.) I wouldn't concern myself too much about. If they discover something, Polaris will put the word out, they have an obligation to do so.

Reactions: TheSioux

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey guys,

Have a 2015 Vintage with engine noise once it warms up under load. I think it's the clacking noise I hear other Indian owners complain about. Took it by the dealer and the mechanic told me it's the valves making a little noise that goes away with more mileage...mine has 2k miles on her. My question is this, is there a different oil I could use that might quiet her down a little? Currently using the Indian hybrid synthetic that the dealer put in at the first service.

Dave
I used the amsoil full synthetic instead of the indian oil. Did quiet it some but think have to learn to live with it. My harley made all kinds of noise until exhaust got louder!

·
Registered
5 Posts
For the folks that have ridden Kawasaki's' , they make one of the noisiest engines of the metric 4. Very reliable but damn they're loud. It did quiet down with some Amsoil and a pair of V&H Longshots lol.

·
3,603 Posts
Ah Gee, just put some Slick50 into the clackers, or how about some motor honey. Guarantee t quiet them down for awhile. Improves compression and guarantees your mechanic some future. WIN - WIN

·
Founding member
992 Posts
Ah Gee, just put some Slick50 into the clackers, or how about some motor honey. Guarantee t quiet them down for awhile. Improves compression and guarantees your mechanic some future. WIN - WIN
You need to carefully consider that. If by chance your motor craters, Indian will do oil analysis and if they find something they don't recommend they have grounds to void your warranty. Your bike, your choice.

·
3,603 Posts
You need to carefully consider that. If by chance your motor craters, Indian will do oil analysis and if they find something they don't recommend they have grounds to void your warranty. Your bike, your choice.
It was a joke

·
3,603 Posts
Now you tell us, I had just poured a pint of Honey into the crankcase of my Chieftain.

>---------> >---------> >--------->

Live Free - Ride Hard - Die Well
Some times its just hard to convey a joke without prefacing it with "OK guys, This is a Joke". Now I must abstain from joking and go shave my palms. Hee Hee, that was a joke

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
Some times its just hard to convey a joke without prefacing it with "OK guys, This is a Joke". Now I must abstain from joking and go shave my palms. Hee Hee, that was a joke
Mine was too !

>---------> >---------> >--------->

Live Free - Ride Hard - Die Well

1 - 20 of 62 Posts