Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At various RPM's and gear loads I get rattling and pinging noise from the engine. Never at idle. It is not the traditional klacker's noise and my Indian sales man since 2017 rode it and decided it probably is warn rockers. After researching I'm hoping it is only a warn and loose chain tension-er. Think I might replace/upgrade the chain tension-er first. I have the 2016 Chieftain with stage 2 cams. Over 40 K on engine. Info on weather that might do it and also when I take off the cover over the cam and gears to inspect it. I suppose I will need a new cover gasket before putting it all back together after the inspection. Also any feed back on replacing the rockers only or do the full Big Bore kit. Nearly the same amount of shop hours but $6K is lots of money in I don't need it.

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
Rattling and pinging, especially under load or acceleration, is a sign of low octane fuel. What do you normally fill up with? That would be the first place I'd look.

I don't think the rocker arms are changed with the 116 kit. They are not shown on the parts assembly on the website.

Worn rockers sounds unlikely. Rocker arms are generally case-hardened where they sit against the pushrods and valves and any slack is taken up by the hydraulic lifters.
Has your dealer checked for air in the lifters?

There have been two revisions of the cam chain tensioner. 2016 was version 1, my 2018 is version 2, but current version 3 is beefed up significantly. The version 1 plunger was known to sometimes rotate and jam itself, allowing chain slack. Version 3 beefed up the whole thing again. The difference is significant.

One part of me says that replacing a gasket is always a good idea, another part says to see if it's OK to use again and smear it with gasket cement. The cam chest area on my bike gets very hot and I'd probably go for replacement on that one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rattling and pinging, especially under load or acceleration, is a sign of low octane fuel. What do you normally fill up with? That would be the first place I'd look.

I don't think the rocker arms are changed with the 116 kit. They are not shown on the parts assembly on the website.

Worn rockers sounds unlikely. Rocker arms are generally case-hardened where they sit against the pushrods and valves and any slack is taken up by the hydraulic lifters.
Has your dealer checked for air in the lifters?

View attachment 597770

There have been two revisions of the cam chain tensioner. 2016 was version 1, my 2018 is version 2, but current version 3 is beefed up significantly. The version 1 plunger was known to sometimes rotate and jam itself, allowing chain slack. Version 3 beefed up the whole thing again. The difference is significant.

View attachment 597771

One part of me says that replacing a gasket is always a good idea, another part says to see if it's OK to use again and smear it with gasket cement. The cam chest area on my bike gets very hot and I'd probably go for replacement on that one.
Thank You for the detailed reply. I'm checking into the all that you said. I do have new tension parts on order as well as the gasket. Just have to wait weeks and it is now prime riding season not to mention 80th anniversary of Sturgis. Found the Big Bore Kit, now $2750. way better than 6K as seen somewhere else? I will let you know how it all turns out. Again thanks for the reply.

·
Bronze member
3,475 Posts
the six grand is when you start from zero using Indian stage 1 exhaust and intake then have the dealer do all the work...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts