Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Traded 2020 Scout for new Chieftain Blackhorse, Sport mode seems to somewhat mimic the throttle response of my Scout. Was wondering what others find themselves using the most
Touring- Standard or Sport mode?

·
Registered
22 Posts
On the Challenger, I find sport mode ( which makes the throttle chirpy) good for city riding. For longer rides with little to no traffic, I typically ride in normal. I found sport mode to use more fuel

·
Registered
57 Posts
Sport mode never comes off! I tried switching to standard for highway or even tour and after using sport it feels painful to even try

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2019 Roadmaster matte black and gray
3,097 Posts
Thr only time I switch away from sport mode is when it's raining.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I run in "touring" mode most of the time. I have tried all three modes but I find the other modes make the throttle too sensitive which means if you hit a bump and your wrist moves it makes the ride more jerking. I'm not in hurry when riding these days so slow going is good for me and besides maybe it will give me better fuel economy with the delayed throttle response.

Tim

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm a newer rider and have found the Touring mode to be the best when I started out. My bike is a 2020 with the 116 already at Stage 2 (purchased used), so it was a lot more power than I had anticipated. Now I ride mostly in Standard mode. Tour Mode and Standard Mode, unless you're really getting into the sauce, doesn't change fuel economy all that much to me. Just better throttle response. Standard Mode and Sprt modes also allow you to hear the Hi-Flow intake a lot more pronounced (vacuum cleaner modes) and makes better use of the louder exhaust. Sport mode is ludicrous speed LOL.

·
Bronze member
2,702 Posts
I never take my Challenger out of sport mode...would use the rain mode, but haven’t had the need to yet.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I would be curious about what is actually happening to the engine at each setting as I have not seen much written or explained about it? I have a Roadmaster, I found touring very smooth, responsive through the range. I use it often as I am more of a cruiser these days, Standard seemed a little spotty on the early twist of the throttle. (slight hesitation would be more of an explanation), dealer could not seem to find the same experience however it does happen in stop and go or cold engine starts. seems to improve when warmed up but still happens time to time. Sport seems to work as you would expect. my reality is the bike has great low end torque in all 3 modes so you can count on it when you need it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
From what I've heard the ride modes don't alter the performance at all. All they do is change the throttle response through the drive by wire making the bike feel more responsive. That's why some people don't like sport because the throttle profile is very touchy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts