Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 250 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have advise as to how to find out what to do and who to speak with concerning a 2015 Vintage that locked up? I've received no communication from the dealership except when I go there and the CS person with the case has yet to return calls or emails.
The bike locked up on the expressway at 75mph, 3 months old, 5k miles (Jan 5th) about to do third oil change, all Indian oil. Dropped it off that evening and the key the next day (Jan 6th) when we were informed it might have been the starter engaging at speed.... Dealership didn't get back with me, so I visited for a status (Jan 9th) when I received the news that it appeared that the bike locked the engine due to the crank position sensor coming lose, but they weren't sure, never cracked open an Indian before and this was going to be all new. Not sure if it was warranty or not, but thought so, just needed to take it apart and take pics. Called CS on 1/11 to find out if Indian/Polaris had any communication concerning this, there was (or was being established while on the phone) a case concerning this, but the Case manager didn't have any idea of any status, but would research, find out and get back with me. My concerns were
1. What happened to stop an engine at full cruise speed and cause me to skid?
2. Will it happen again is the engine toast?
3. This is my only transportation so how long will an engine swap/rebuild/repair take? I've done them in a day, but I realize there is paperwork and shipping.
4. Possibility of a loaner? (CS suggested I follow up with my insurance company)
5. IS SOMEONE GOING TO GET BACK WITH ME??

Since then I've received zero communications from CS or dealership and while I understand that they're busy and I"m busy, I have voicemail and they don't return messages and email works 24/7. I may be missing something, but I don't think so.

How to I get some kind of information?
I've wanted an Indian for as long as I can remember, had Vulcans for the last 10 years, Yamaha and Hondas too, cross country rider and never had anything like this happen when I had or needed repairs not only were the dealerships and company all over it, they communicated with me.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
She might not be there today, but the consumer exec ( her title at polaris ) for Polaris customer service is Kaylene. I have spoken with her many times, and in fact she is fair and will make something happen, no one else can help.
1-877-204-3697

·
Registered
289 Posts
Anyone have advise as to how to find out what to do and who to speak with concerning a 2015 Vintage that locked up? I've received no communication from the dealership except when I go there and the CS person with the case has yet to return calls or emails.
The bike locked up on the expressway at 75mph, 3 months old, 5k miles (Jan 5th) about to do third oil change, all Indian oil. Dropped it off that evening and the key the next day (Jan 6th) when we were informed it might have been the starter engaging at speed.... Dealership didn't get back with me, so I visited for a status (Jan 9th) when I received the news that it appeared that the bike locked the engine due to the crank position sensor coming lose, but they weren't sure, never cracked open an Indian before and this was going to be all new. Not sure if it was warranty or not, but thought so, just needed to take it apart and take pics. Called CS on 1/11 to find out if Indian/Polaris had any communication concerning this, there was (or was being established while on the phone) a case concerning this, but the Case manager didn't have any idea of any status, but would research, find out and get back with me. My concerns were
1. What happened to stop an engine at full cruise speed and cause me to skid?
2. Will it happen again is the engine toast?
3. This is my only transportation so how long will an engine swap/rebuild/repair take? I've done them in a day, but I realize there is paperwork and shipping.
4. Possibility of a loaner? (CS suggested I follow up with my insurance company)
5. IS SOMEONE GOING TO GET BACK WITH ME??

Since then I've received zero communications from CS or dealership and while I understand that they're busy and I"m busy, I have voicemail and they don't return messages and email works 24/7. I may be missing something, but I don't think so.

How to I get some kind of information?
I've wanted an Indian for as long as I can remember, had Vulcans for the last 10 years, Yamaha and Hondas too, cross country rider and never had anything like this happen when I had or needed repairs not only were the dealerships and company all over it, they communicated with me.
What dealership exactly are we speaking about?

·
Senior member / silver
3,453 Posts
Why would you need a third oil change at only 5k?

my damn cell phone

Reactions: sbonder

·
Registered
307 Posts
Wow, glad you came by. Sure hate to hear of your misfortune. Hope it all works out for you. The title of your post is "engine blew up". Doesn't look like you know that yet, only that it locked up. Glad you weren't hurt.
Looking forward to hearing the outcome of this thread. I would think that since you are in a VERY rare group of people who have had catastrophic failure of a very new product, that Polaris would be quite anxious to make it right for you.
You NEED to tell us what dealer, for your own sake. A forum like this can be a persuasive force on such a dealership.

Reactions: Ken1553

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2019 Roadmaster matte black and gray
3,058 Posts
Are you for real? Profile says you're 104 years old.

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
The same shit happens to me all the time.
Last time, before I could get the bike hauled down from 75mph in a white knuckle skid, I got struck by lightening.
Indian Motorcycle is used to this happening.
You ask about how long an engine replacement takes?
Like racking a shotgun.
They have wing nuts on everything so they don't even have to reach for tools.

·
Registered
152 Posts
The same shit happens to me all the time.
Last time, before I could get the bike hauled down from 75mph in a white knuckle skid, I got struck by lightening.
Indian Motorcycle is used to this happening.
You ask about how long an engine replacement takes?
Like racking a shotgun.
They have wing nuts on everything so they don't even have to reach for tools.
Big Daddy you truly are the best,

·
Registered
474 Posts
Barricade,

Your subject title is "engine blew up". Based on what you say further on, that seems to be an inaccurate summary of what actually occurred and does not help your credibility.

Nor does it even seem accurate to assume that "the engine locked up".

What locked up was the rear wheel.

If the crank position sensor failed, and the engine stalled, I would think @ 75mph in presumably 5th or 6th gear, unless the road was slick, the rear wheel would keep turning. Skidding doesn't mean the engine seized. It means the rear wheel lost traction.

What gear were you in when this occurred? What were the road conditions? Did you downshift or brake when you lost power?

There has to be more to this story...

·
Founding member / Distinguished
1,956 Posts
image.jpeg

Something smells in the state of Denmark, and it ain't the cheese....

·
Registered
474 Posts
I'm with you re Denmark, but the OPs alleged malfunction is serious enough that I would hope we could encourage him to respond with more information so we might all determine the facts, rather than drive him away with ridicule.

Let's suppose the key bits of his story are true, that he was cruisin' at 75 and his rear wheel suddenly locked up skidding him to a stop.

A) As a rider, I'm damn curious to hear how he handled it, and...
B) I can see how that might scare the shit of somebody and cause them to post something on the internets that was more frustrated drama than accurate fact.
And 3) If nothing else, we may conclude that when a TS111 seizes up, our fine Indian motorcycles skid nice and straight to a safe stop. :cool::D

Barricade, you should write a thorough followup and answer everybody's questions.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I think the engine probably ingested an HD part. They are all over the road and Indian's are renowned for eating them up and spitting them out for breakfast. In fact they are an Indian's preferred food. The engine didn't blow up it just got indigestion from Harley road fodder!!

1 - 20 of 250 Posts