Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, here's a strange one for you...

I was cruising about 55-60 when I lost power. The check engine light came on, so I pulled over. The engine was apparently only running on one cylinder. I didn't see any codes, so I shut the engine off. When I started it back up everything seemed to be normal, well, except the engine light was still on.

I was low on gas, so, that was the next stop. A quick fill-up, engine light was still on. I pulled into a parking spot and pulled out the manual to try and get some intel. That was a bust, so, off I went the 5 miles to the house. The light was still on.

I tried to do a search for the problem and came up empty. I cycled the bike a couple of times and the light remained on...NO Error Codes. When the bike sat and cooled down I went to check it again. Lo and behold the CEL cycled off.

I can only guess that the problem was a intermittent fault, and the CEL cycled enough to clear the light. However, the loss of power concerns me and is not what I want in busy traffic.

Has anyone had a similar experience, or have some insight? I hate to think that it may happen again, but hauling it up to the dealership is a waste of time if they can't replicate the problem.

They only thing that I have done is replace the stock air cleaner with a high flow unit. I don't expect that is the problem as it has run fine for almost 500 miles with no issues. Everything else is stock. I may pull the seat off tomorrow and check the battery connections, as a precaution.

Also, does anyone have a source list of current error codes? I found one from 2014 but it may be superseded.

·
Rider
816 Posts
There is an app called Indian trading post that has a very comprehensive list of codes.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Scrapiron, but it appears, that, the app is no longer functional. The last update was 10 months ago and all I can get is the "Indian Trading Post" page.

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
I've once had my bike behave like this. It was while accelerating and as the revs rose it stumbled into limp mode and would not run properly. The CEL came on. There was no code showing. I cycled the startup a few times and the light went out and the bike ran OK. When I took it to the dealer they could not find any current or historical code.

The only thing that comes to mind is a thread on the forum which said there can be a problem with the throttle actuator in the right switch block. Apparently the problem is related to water-proofing and it throws the CEL.

·
Silver member
5,032 Posts
We need a bit more info. What bike model and what year is a good start. They can go into limp mode for a few differing reasons, but without that information it is hard to help. Checking your battery connections is a good start along with your frame ground.

If you can retrieve the code before shutting your bike down then here is the current code list through 2017 models for the TS111 bikes.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Well, here's a strange one for you...

I was cruising about 55-60 when I lost power. The check engine light came on, so I pulled over. The engine was apparently only running on one cylinder. I didn't see any codes, so I shut the engine off. When I started it back up everything seemed to be normal, well, except the engine light was still on.

I was low on gas, so, that was the next stop. A quick fill-up, engine light was still on. I pulled into a parking spot and pulled out the manual to try and get some intel. That was a bust, so, off I went the 5 miles to the house. The light was still on.

I tried to do a search for the problem and came up empty. I cycled the bike a couple of times and the light remained on...NO Error Codes. When the bike sat and cooled down I went to check it again. Lo and behold the CEL cycled off.

I can only guess that the problem was a intermittent fault, and the CEL cycled enough to clear the light. However, the loss of power concerns me and is not what I want in busy traffic.

Has anyone had a similar experience, or have some insight? I hate to think that it may happen again, but hauling it up to the dealership is a waste of time if they can't replicate the problem.

They only thing that I have done is replace the stock air cleaner with a high flow unit. I don't expect that is the problem as it has run fine for almost 500 miles with no issues. Everything else is stock. I may pull the seat off tomorrow and check the battery connections, as a precaution.

Also, does anyone have a source list of current error codes? I found one from 2014 but it may be superseded.
Just happened to me last weekend. I have a 2018 SFDH. It has stage 2 cams with Indian flash. I have 15k on it. The CEL came on and there was a ck eng showing. I was able to ride at about 60-65mph to a gas station. I called my local dealer and spoke with the shop manager. He had me go through 3 cycles by pushing the button on the tank. After three cycles he said to start it up. I did and the ck eng went away but light remained on. I got home and turned it off then on again and it went away. I rode it to the dealership and they did a diagnostic on it. There was a loose wire in the starter cube area. It was replaced and problem fixed. I had been having a few issues with the TPMS reading being hit and miss. That was remedied also. I would take it in and have them do a diagnostic test. My dealer got right on it, did some testing, and I got the bike back a couple days later.

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
Just happened to me last weekend. I have a 2018 SFDH.

I rode it to the dealership and they did a diagnostic on it. There was a loose wire in the starter cube area. It was replaced and problem fixed.
Mine is also a 2018 SFDH. While reading Lurch71's post I remembered that I had a recall recently on one of the switch blocks, but can't remember which side. I wonder if the recall was related to a known intermittent electrical problem.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We need a bit more info. What bike model and what year is a good start. They can go into limp mode for a few differing reasons, but without that information it is hard to help. Checking your battery connections is a good start along with your frame ground.

Sorry, I should have stated, that, it is a 2019 Roadmaster.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've once had my bike behave like this. It was while accelerating and as the revs rose it stumbled into limp mode and would not run properly. The CEL came on. There was no code showing. I cycled the startup a few times and the light went out and the bike ran OK. When I took it to the dealer they could not find any current or historical code.

When I think back, I was accelerating! I was speeding up to get away from the ditz in the right lane that was texting and weaving in the lane. This may be the cause, but if so, what is the solution? I sure don't want to have the bike shutting down on me in the wrong situations.
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Mine is also a 2018 SFDH. While reading Lurch71's post I remembered that I had a recall recently on one of the switch blocks, but can't remember which side. I wonder if the recall was related to a known intermittent electrical problem.
I had mine replaced too, I believe the problem was on the left side this time.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
about a month after i bought my RM (18). bike shut off by itself. just came from a stop sign got about 20 feet when it happen. only happen that one time. an it was not a not enough gas when shifting issue. .

·
Registered
375 Posts
Here's my quandry, It's been chilly here in NorCal with temps freezing at night and mid 40s during the day. My '18 Chieftain is garaged and on a tender. It's been about 1 month since she's been ridden. I pulled her out this afternoon for a quick ride, 50º out. She started hard but fired right up. Immediately I had a flashing red battery on the dash. Voltage initially showed nothing on the bar then shot up to normal 14ish volts. I got 1/4 mile down the road and a check engine light came on, red battery light went off. The bike rode normal, no strange surges or issues. Then the battery light returned with the engine light. I turned around for home and cycled the engine a few times with no change. Orange Engine light stays on.
* Software is up to date as far as I can tell.
* In Jan I had an x-pipe and Lloyd's 558 cams installed with a remap via my PVCX tune from CraigB. The bike had zero issues on athe few rides I took after thge upgrade.
* I checked the diagnostics and nothing.

Thoughts? Could the cold weather and recent lack of riding, along with a hard start, given the scoot a mild seizure? Can I use my PVCX to further investigate?
[sour]

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Here's my quandry, It's been chilly here in NorCal with temps freezing at night and mid 40s during the day. My '18 Chieftain is garaged and on a tender. It's been about 1 month since she's been ridden. I pulled her out this afternoon for a quick ride, 50º out. She started hard but fired right up. Immediately I had a flashing red battery on the dash. Voltage initially showed nothing on the bar then shot up to normal 14ish volts. I got 1/4 mile down the road and a check engine light came on, red battery light went off. The bike rode normal, no strange surges or issues. Then the battery light returned with the engine light. I turned around for home and cycled the engine a few times with no change. Orange Engine light stays on.
* Software is up to date as far as I can tell.
* In Jan I had an x-pipe and Lloyd's 558 cams installed with a remap via my PVCX tune from CraigB. The bike had zero issues on athe few rides I took after thge upgrade.
* I checked the diagnostics and nothing.

Thoughts? Could the cold weather and recent lack of riding, along with a hard start, given the scoot a mild seizure? Can I use my PVCX to further investigate?
[sour]
Did you turn it on and off 4 times without starting the engine. This will clear the check engine light sometimes. I took mine in and they diagnosed the problem. I would take it to a dealership since it’s under warranty

·
Registered
375 Posts
Well, took the war horse out for a short 30 min ride yesterday with the engine light on. It ran solid, sounded good and had no issues. Upon returning home I checked the diagnostics and this showed up...anyone know what this code is?

Turned it off, let it rest. Upon restart there were no codes in the diagnostics and the light was off.
I guess she fixed herself.

》》》》》》》》》》Wake Up, Be Nice, Kick Ass, Repeat...... MTFU

1 - 20 of 22 Posts