Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had been riding for a couple of hours, not too hot outside, at one point I gunned it out of a turn in 3rd gear, all of sudden the engine light comes on. There was no power, just able to rev, dropped in 2nd gear, was the same. Finally put in 1st gear, it was only able to ride at 1500 RPM. I pulled over, turn the bike off completely. Waited about 2 minutes, then started bike no problem and continued on with no issues except engine light remained on about another 15km. Wondering if anyone has any idea as what it could be.

·
Bronze member
4,159 Posts
Had been riding for a couple of hours, not too hot outside, at one point I gunned it out of a turn in 3rd gear, all of sudden the engine light comes on. There was no power, just able to rev, dropped in 2nd gear, was the same. Finally put in 1st gear, it was only able to ride at 1500 RPM. I pulled over, turn the bike off completely. Waited about 2 minutes, then started bike no problem and continued on with no issues except engine light remained on about another 15km. Wondering if anyone has any idea as what it could be.
This happens when you are aggressive with the throttle on the factory tune. What happens is you twist the throttle and the ECU expects the throttle body valve to be in a certain position. If they don't match the ECU logs this.(Throttle body counter error logging) If it happens a preset number of times during a ride, the bike goes into limp mode, until power is shut down and restored.

The engine light will stay on for about 4 - 5 power up down cycles then go away if the error is gone.

·
Bronze member
2,251 Posts
I never had this on a factory tune ... but on a pvcx tune I encountered this a couple of times.

The DBW tables for gear 1,2,3+ have additionally ceiling tables.
If you are not careful when massaging your DBW tables (at any point in time your DBW valve openings must stay smaller than the ceilings!) then you get this condition.

Took me two iterations to dial my new post "sport mode" DBW tables in

Sent from my SM-N976Q using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
There are several of us who have had this happen. It's only happened to me twice in over 50,000 kms.

There's no need to wait that two minutes, just turn the bike off and on again and it will start up. Four or five restarts and the check engine light clears as Baron58 says.

If you check error messages it will say something like, 'Throttle position out of range'.

It generally only happens under aggressive acceleration in the lower gears but there is a thread on here from another member a few months ago who had it happen under steady highway cruising. That's a weird one.

·
Registered
37 Posts
This happened to me with the only 200 miles On the my 2019 Indian Chieftain limited. I came out of an aggressive turn shifted up into 4th gear and it died and I pulled over and kept the throttle on and it slowly returned to normal. But the check engine light went and remained on. The bike is at the dealer being checked over. I have an Indian stage 2 with Rinehart headers and slipons with a 2.5 performance Baffle with a Dynajet PV03 flash. I also had the dealer install Trask mini- apes. I love this machine but am worried that this might happen again. It behaves like the injectors are bad. I Have called a few Dyno centers but they either only do only Harleys or only power commanders. If anyone has any advice please let me know. I am sure the dealer has the code for why the engine light went on. So far they tell me it is running great for them. My zip code in NY is 12533. Any advice is appreciated.

·
Bronze member
4,159 Posts
This happened to me with the only 200 miles On the my 2019 Indian Chieftain limited. I came out of an aggressive turn shifted up into 4th gear and it died and I pulled over and kept the throttle on and it slowly returned to normal. But the check engine light went and remained on. The bike is at the dealer being checked over. I have an Indian stage 2 with Rinehart headers and slipons with a 2.5 performance Baffle with a Dynajet PV03 flash. I also had the dealer install Trask mini- apes. I love this machine but am worried that this might happen again. It behaves like the injectors are bad. I Have called a few Dyno centers but they either only do only Harleys or only power commanders. If anyone has any advice please let me know. I am sure the dealer has the code for why the engine light went on. So far they tell me it is running great for them. My zip code in NY is 12533. Any advice is appreciated.

Who is the tune from?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I asked If all recalls were
Performed and they said yes we (Dealer) did it over the winter. I negotiated storage when I bought the bike in November I was told about the gear switch recall and yes they said that and the 10 amp circuit breaker was done . Thank you for the help.

·
Bronze member
2,251 Posts
Its the ceiling tables for the Drive By Wire in the tune!

·
Bronze member
4,159 Posts
The tune is from Dynojet on their PV03.

That probably explains it.

On the DBW tables (Drive by wire) have Twisted Grip to Requested torque values for the gears. They also have what is called Ceiling values. The Ceiling values must be equal or higher that the default Twisted Grip to Requested torque values.

On some of the Dynojet tunes I have they did not do this and this would cause the issues you cause are seeing.

Attachments

·
Bronze member
2,251 Posts
Thank you. I am New to this so how can this be adjusted?
if you can send me that particular djt I can do it for you :)

(oh ... and the stk file)

that of course assuming Dynojet has not locked that particular tune with a password. (this has become popular lately)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Ok I pick up the bike Tuesday from the dealer and will contact you then. I have the PV03 it came with the upgrade. Many thanks Dan

·
Bronze member
2,251 Posts
Ok I pick up the bike Tuesday from the dealer and will contact you then. I have the PV03 it came with the upgrade. Many thanks Dan
will pm you my email address

·
Bronze member
4,159 Posts

Just as a FYI if possible don't take the bike to a dealer with the aftermarket tune when having issues, flash back to the stock tune if possible. Also flashing back to the stock tune can help trouble shoot whether it is a hardware issue or tune issue. The last thing you want is the dealer to contact polaris to help them and they (Polaris) see the aftermarket tune on your bike.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts