Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Rider
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 2017 Chieftain Limited and I'm baffled! The other day, I was warming up my bike and it threw a couple of codes of a misfire and a separate one of cylinder 1 misfire. Made an appointment for the work and took it for a quick ride today to see if I can feel any difference on how it rode. Now there is no codes under vehicle diagnostics but the check engine light is still on. I have not reset the diagnostics screen as I wanted them there for the dealership to see. Anyone have any answers?

·
Silver member
4,570 Posts
So I have a 2017 Chieftain Limited and I'm baffled! The other day, I was warming up my bike and it threw a couple of codes of a misfire and a separate one of cylinder 1 misfire. Made an appointment for the work and took it for a quick ride today to see if I can feel any difference on how it rode. Now there is no codes under vehicle diagnostics but the check engine light is still on. I have not reset the diagnostics screen as I wanted them there for the dealership to see. Anyone have any answers?
An active code will cause the check engine light to turn on. It will remain on for a couple engine cycles when no code is active. It will turn off once you cycle the engine a couple times. If it remains on, then there has to be an active code, the dealer should be able to read it out.

Have them check your spark plug wires for any indication of arcing to the valve cover(s).

·
Registered
210 Posts
NessScout, I just bought my 2018 RM have less than 700miles on it and experienced evidently the same or at least similar issue. mine started on day two of ownership and currently just got her back from the dealership yesterday and still not sure if the issue has been resolved. however if you look through my post you might find something helpful. there were lots of suggestions.
Check engine light without codes
not sure how to post a link to another post, but I hope this might expedite your solution.

·
Bronze Member
1,544 Posts
When I restarted my bike on the Chief Joseph byway Tuesday, my chieftain started missing. I noticed that it only did it while idling or at low RPM's. About a third of the way through Yellowstone NP we stopped to take some pictures. I went to pull back onto the road and I received the error code for a misfire (cylinder 1). My front cylinder spark plug wire was rubbing against the coil cover. When the bike started missing I would reach down and move the spark plug wire away from the coil cover and the engine would stop misfiring.

So when we got back to Cody, I stopped at O'reilly's and bought some 1/4" clear fuel line. I cut a couple of pieces about 1-1/2" long and slit them lengthwise. I placed them on the front spark plug wire. One where the wire was rubbing against the coil cover and the other where the wire was near the bottom of the gas tank. I put around a thousand miles since then with no misfires.

·
Bronze member
1,756 Posts
Check key fob battery

That just happened to me

Not that it has anything to do with the original issue but could with the light being on

1 - 5 of 5 Posts