Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2017 Chieftain Limited. I have about 15,000 miles on my bike. I have a knock I feel is in the engine. It is driving me crazy. I had a mechanic listen to it and he says he can’t hear it. I am concerned that if I don’t get it looked out by the dealer it could be the death of my engine. We only have one shop in town and the time to get your biked worked on even with an appointment is two weeks or longer. If someone else is having this issue please let me know what you did to fix it.

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
A constant knock, at all rpm's, or the low-rpm pre-ignition knock under load we're all familiar with?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It does it at different times. I rode about 30 minutes and it was not knocking. Shut the bike off for about 20 minutes. Got back on the rode and it knocked all the way home in all gears. Sometimes it is when I start the bike.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To me it sounds like an exhaust leak. Have checked all is tight. We just changed the pipes to a true two and one freedom. All way tight before and after.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Exhaust leak or could be a bad valve spring. Any mods?

·
Registered
589 Posts
We checked no exhaust leak all is tight. Is a bad valve spring an issue on Indians?
Not a common issue but if you have aftermarket cams, there has been failures. So, "knocking" can also be bad fuel, carbon buildup on the pistons, bad rod bearing, a bad sensor can cause problem but I assume you do not have a check engine light, timing chain tensioner bad...and many more. I would go to a competent mechanic and let them troubleshoot...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not a common issue but if you have aftermarket cams, there has been failures. So, "knocking" can also be bad fuel, carbon buildup on the pistons, bad rod bearing, a bad sensor can cause problem but I assume you do not have a check engine light, timing chain tensioner bad...and many more. I would go to a competent mechanic and let them troubleshoot...
No aftermarket, always get gas at the same place so I feel confident with no bad gas. No engine lights. So now to the mechanic. Our indian shop does not have enough mechanics for the amount of motorcycles in our area. So the bike could be there two weeks or longer even with an appointment.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,274 Posts
I have a 2017 Chieftain Limited. I have about 15,000 miles on my bike. I have a knock I feel is in the engine. It is driving me crazy. I had a mechanic listen to it and he says he can’t hear it. I am concerned that if I don’t get it looked out by the dealer it could be the death of my engine. We only have one shop in town and the time to get your biked worked on even with an appointment is two weeks or longer. If someone else is having this issue please let me know what you did to fix it.
This could be the dreaded clacker. Basically this is piston noise that normally only appears when the engine is fully up to operating temp or a bit hot. Can you make the noise come and go with changes in throttle positioning? Does it seem that the noise if mostly related to a specific RPM range? On my bike (a 2015 RM) the knocking noise would only start when I was going down the road and once the engine got up to temp I would get a knock from 2600 to 2900 RPMs when the throttle was in a position to hold speed or a slight acceleration. Cutting the throttle or a more aggressive acceleration would kill the noise. You could never hear it revving the bike when standing next to it. You had to be going down the road.

If this is close to what you are experiencing the issue was addressed by Indian with the 2018 111s or any bike that got the stage 3 kit installed. The piston was redesigned with a deeper skirt on it to reduce the amount of rocking you got on the piston when the piston changed direction during the stroke. Not a longevity issue for the engine but it sure is annoying. When I first starting hearing it I thought I was going to get a push rod enema! It really sounds like something is starting to come apart. I just purchased a slightly used set of pistons and cylinders for a 2018 111. Probably going to make it a winter project to change these out. Probably could have gotten away with just doing the pistons but my RM has 52K on it so considering what needs to be taken apart doing both was a no brainer for me. Hope this helps, Dean

·
Registered
589 Posts
If it is the clacker, I have a set of the pistons with the updated skirt form a 2018 111 that I would sell. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This could be the dreaded clacker. Basically this is piston noise that normally only appears when the engine is fully up to operating temp or a bit hot. Can you make the noise come and go with changes in throttle positioning? Does it seem that the noise if mostly related to a specific RPM range? On my bike (a 2015 RM) the knocking noise would only start when I was going down the road and once the engine got up to temp I would get a knock from 2600 to 2900 RPMs when the throttle was in a position to hold speed or a slight acceleration. Cutting the throttle or a more aggressive acceleration would kill the noise. You could never hear it revving the bike when standing next to it. You had to be going down the road.

If this is close to what you are experiencing the issue was addressed by Indian with the 2018 111s or any bike that got the stage 3 kit installed. The piston was redesigned with a deeper skirt on it to reduce the amount of rocking you got on the piston when the piston changed direction during the stroke. Not a longevity issue for the engine but it sure is annoying. When I first starting hearing it I thought I was going to get a push rod enema! It really sounds like something is starting to come apart. I just purchased a slightly used set of pistons and cylinders for a 2018 111. Probably going to make it a winter project to change these out. Probably could have gotten away with just doing the pistons but my RM has 52K on it so considering what needs to be taken apart doing both was a no brainer for me. Hope this helps, Dean
Thanks that does give me more options. Is this something that is covered under the extended warranty? The only thing that was an upgrade on my bike was the stage two pipes but they came with the bike.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,274 Posts
Thanks that does give me more options. Is this something that is covered under the extended warranty? The only thing that was an upgrade on my bike was the stage two pipes but they came with the bike.
You could try warranty but don't hold your breath. Indian does not consider this to be a mechanic defect, just a noise some of the 111s make. Now there is no stage 2 exhaust but there are stage 2 cams. I will say that I did have some ignition noise from my stage 2 flash when I installed the stage 2 cams. Ignition curve on the original stage 2 flash was horrible, I lost most of that noise with Fuel Moto and a custom tune from @CraigB1960. I heard the latest update to the stage 2 flash was much better but that was second hand info. Dean

·
Bronze member
2,477 Posts
Ok, so the OP stated that a full exhaust kit was recently installed. Was the bike making this sound before the exhaust?? Any other work? Check the oil level as instructed by the manual and look for any metal in the oil?

Might try adding a octane boost to the gas, just because it's from the same gas station doesn't mean that every truck has the same high quality or water free. Just throwing some ideas out there, happy with my 17 Chieftain Limited, cheers.

Reactions: FlacoReyna

·
Registered
589 Posts
I will keep that on mind. How much and where are you located?
Well, I think they are around $150 each new, how about $100 for both shipped lower 48. These have around 300 miles on them. I was about to make a lamp out of the rods, cylinders and rods out of my 111..

·
Bronze member
2,477 Posts
Maybe head over to the nearest Harbor Freight or auto part store, get yourself a stethoscope and have a listen to the engine

·
Bronze member
3,566 Posts
You could also use a long thin bladed screw driver to do the same thing as a stethoscope.I have a stethoscope cause I've done this professionally.But in a pinch,a long thin bladed screw driver will basically do the same thing.
Just place the blade in the area you hear,or suspect,the noise coming from,then place your ear on the handle of the screw driver and listen.Move the blade to different areas for comparison just like ya would do with a stethoscope.Try it!! Whada ya have to lose.

·
Premium Member
2016 Indian Roadmaster 120 Stroker
722 Posts
Do you still have warranty on the bike?
i would take it to dealer and ask for a case file to be started with Polaris. If Polaris won’t do anything, then your own your own And you’ll have to decide at that point what you will do about the noise. Been there, done that!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts