Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Indian FTR 1200 S
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is normal and I've just never noticed it before or if something is developing. I usually let the bike warm up to 130-140 then get on and go. Up until the bike warms up, and even for 1-2 miles after reaching temperature, it sounds like it's making a slight knocking sound. I can only really hear it at idle when stopped and the sound does eventually go away. My guess is it's because the oil isn't fully warmed and circulating so I'm just hearing excess engine noise, but I just want to make sure this is normal.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I had a knocking, that apparently according to the workshop manager at indian, they all do but wouldn’t even elaborate on what it could or might have been...all I know was it was bloody evident when coming down through the gears when you let the clutch out...but, with the new tune from Fuel Moto I don’t have that problem anymore...so for me maybe the knocking had to do with the state of the standard tune maybe something like predet knock or I don’t know but it’s gone...yay...👍😎🇦🇺

·
Registered
3 Posts
I also have a knock. Most noticeable when decelerating into first gear when coming to a stop. Seems to go away once the bike warms up. I also assumed it had something to do with the oil warning up and circulating. Good to hear it’s not just my bike and possibility just an Indian thing.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Are you sure you don't mean to describe backfiring? (Where unburned fuel is pushed out of the motor and combusts in the exhaust pipe.) If it's on deceleration, it's typically going to backfiring you're hearing. Knocking, or pinging/detonation, is very different.

·
Registered
2019 Indian FTR 1200 S
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its not backfiring or decel pop. It's a knocking or tapping, obviously coming from the engine itself, in an identical cadence with the RPMs.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Interesting. That's definitely something to have inspected. I wouldn't want to be driving it if detonation is actually occurring. Is operating temp normal? If it was me, I'd first take spark plugs out and use my borescope to peak inside to check for any signs of detonation. Google Image search for signs of detonation

Sorry if I sound like I'm speaking down to anyone. I've been on forums for long time and tend to post as if speaking to anyone who may read my replies in the future in hopes of helping.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Its not backfiring or decel pop. It's a knocking or tapping, obviously coming from the engine itself, in an identical cadence with the RPMs.
I had engine knocking with a bad tune, but it couldn't be described as clattering or tapping. If it's a tapping or clattering sound with RPMs, I'd take it to a dealer.

·
Registered
2019 Indian FTR 1200 S
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had engine knocking with a bad tune, but it couldn't be described as clattering or tapping. If it's a tapping or clattering sound with RPMs, I'd take it to a dealer.
Its hard to explain. Knocking, tapping, clattering, noisy engine, call it what you will, I don't think its a noticeable sound until its pointed out. Its not discernable when trying to record it. I just got back from a ride today, and where I originally said its gone away after the bike has heated up, I heard it throughout my 150 mile ride every time I came to a stop. But it was only when at a stop and only if I was consciously listening for it. Probably just my paranoia and I'm just hearing new things as I continue to put miles on the bike.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Exhaust manifolds/headers can make a lot of noise during heat changes. Check to see that exhaust bolts are tight?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Its hard to explain. Knocking, tapping, clattering, noisy engine, call it what you will, I don't think its a noticeable sound until its pointed out. Its not discernable when trying to record it. I just got back from a ride today, and where I originally said its gone away after the bike has heated up, I heard it throughout my 150 mile ride every time I came to a stop. But it was only when at a stop and only if I was consciously listening for it. Probably just my paranoia and I'm just hearing new things as I continue to put miles on the bike.
Man, I've said from day one these engines are noisy! I've come to terms with it now... It's a busy engine. But I do have all the same sounds that you mention.

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
Does it change with clutch engagement or disengagement?
With a stock tune my bike ran in a fashion that "rattled" the slipper clutch assembly. Which this, is not exactly un common. They tend to be noiser than regular assemblies and that rears its head when the engine isn't on a good beat. Like when cold or with lame tune. My engine displayed some ugly noises that was clearly knocking, when warming up.. but I wouldn't compare mine as my was unrideable until warmed fully. (I got the first or the released) long story available on this forum!

Besides that. In this instance, I'm sad to report my engine is as quiet as any other liquid cooled V-twin. With exception of that weird ass Intake "squeak squeak" they all seem to have.

Also as has been noted. Have dealer check bike, and advise header bolts check (when warmed of course) and file a report. After that, ride and see if anything changes. If not, keep riding.

·
Registered
2019 Indian FTR 1200 S
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No difference when clutch pulled in or let out (in neutral at least). As soon as you give any throttle, "normal" engine noise and exhaust noise becomes loud enough to where you don't hear it anymore. Its so rhythmic and in sync with obvious engine noise caused by idling RPMs that I don't think its anything other than something internal. I did start noticing this after I changed the exhaust tips so hopefully I'm just hearing something new that I haven't heard before. Bike only has about 1500 miles on it so I'm still getting used to it.

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
No difference when clutch pulled in or let out (in neutral at least). As soon as you give any throttle, "normal" engine noise and exhaust noise becomes loud enough to where you don't hear it anymore. Its so rhythmic and in sync with obvious engine noise caused by idling RPMs that I don't think its anything other than something internal. I did start noticing this after I changed the exhaust tips so hopefully I'm just hearing something new that I haven't heard before. Bike only has about 1500 miles on it so I'm still getting used to it.
I'm right with Max.
I have 2 questions.
1) What is your bike background? Ie mostly inline 4? Mostly air cooled narrow angle V? Wide angle L's liquid/air other wise?

2) are you in stock tune? IE, if so,
stop. Do not pass go. ....
re map.
stock tune in my experience is so POS. It impossible to say if there is anything wrong mechanically speaking with your machine.. because in my experience on 6 different FTRs, stock tune will Create a mechanical problem with the machine.......

·
Silver member
5,438 Posts
Are you sure you don't mean to describe backfiring? (Where unburned fuel is pushed out of the motor and combusts in the exhaust pipe.) If it's on deceleration, it's typically going to backfiring you're hearing. Knocking, or pinging/detonation, is very different.
Backfiring is “firing back” (into the airbox), and typically happens on a carbureted bike, slightly over idle when you pull off from standstill or playing with the throttle.

injected bikes like the FTR hardly have this problem because the injectors are much closer to the inlet valves, and surely not on the overrun. Unless it’s a shared throttle body (Ducati Scrambler 800 for instance).

What you’re describing is afterburning, often recognized as popping.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I guess myself and the people in my circles always understood backfiring to be on the exhaust side of the motor. Many google searches seem to agree with me, but there's also many results/definitions just as you describe as well. It seems to be widely misunderstood and misrepresented. Guilty as charged, I guess. Learn something every day!

·
Registered
2019 Indian FTR 1200 S
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm right with Max.
I have 2 questions.
1) What is your bike background? Ie mostly inline 4? Mostly air cooled narrow angle V? Wide angle L's liquid/air other wise?

2) are you in stock tune? IE, if so,
stop. Do not pass go. ....
re map.
stock tune in my experience is so POS. It impossible to say if there is anything wrong mechanically speaking with your machine.. because in my experience on 6 different FTRs, stock tune will Create a mechanical problem with the machine.......
I came from dirt bikes and ATVs, my first street legal bike was an iron 883. So this is my first liquid cooled bike ever so I'm still getting used to the sounds as Max was saying.

And yes... still on the stock tune. I know... I know... but it really doesn't run "bad" for me. It rarely stalls, doesn't seem too jerky.. but a tune is on the list (come on second stimulus check)!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts