Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Performance true duals look way better and the heat was completely eliminated at it's source. I later chose to install a PVCX from fuel moto to gain back the slight power loss and then some, but you don't have to have the controller or the air intake, my bike ran quite well with only the pipe change out.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
OP...You are sitting on an 1811cc air pump that is powered by internal combustion and is air cooled. You are going to get engine heat. Harley Davidson even got sued by some riders over the engine heat produced by the Evolution engine. Of course, the lawsuit got tossed out.

Add to that the fact that the catalytic converter is right by your leg. The CC works by getting hot. That heat has to go somewhere, and it radiates into the surrounding atmosphere...and your leg. While your solution may work for you, I, for one, would not want to strap a brace and pads to my leg. You also mentioned that you always wear jeans "in case you go down". Speaking from experience, jeans do very little to protect you in the event of a crash. They are better than shorts, but not by much. Granted, I wear either my uniform pants (if I am going to work) or jeans when I ride, because I do not own riding pants. Again, better than shorts.

I plan on getting a PCVX, then air cleaner and having the exhaust modified by American Custom, which will reduce the heat from the cat.

I don't see how having the vents in the lowers closed helps. When I have mine closed, the engine heat tends to remain. This is nice when it is 60 degrees (or cooler) out...not so nice when it is 90 degrees out.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I understand the T111 is an air cooled engine and some heat is to be expected. All these "remedies" and having to shield yourself form heat injuries seems rather ridiculous to me. I have done ALL the mods, Stage 1 AC, gutted cat, wrapped cat in heat tape, installed Dobeck EJK, and STILL the heat on the right side is excessive on the right side. For a 30K + motorcycle Polaris really needs to develop a fix. I spoke to a rep and he said he would put me on a "list" as they are working on a remedy. I know as previous HD riders we are used to spending tons of money to fix the factory design problems. But the Indian is such a better motorcycle I think Polaris could do something to design this heat issue out of the bike as it is such a wide spread complaint. It should not take thousands of dollars at the consumer level to fix a problem they damn well had to know was there from day 1.

·
Silver member
4,652 Posts
It hit 100 degrees for the first time this year today.....now let's talk about hot! LOL.

Anyway, I found it to be tolerable this year compared to when I first got the bike last Sept. I have removed the CAT and for summer I removed my lowers. It is also tuned with the PVCX. Though I'm still running in close-loop for Idle & Cruise, it runs noticeable cooler than it did last year with factory tune. I will most likely richen the mixture up by lowering the AFR and taking it out of close-loop. At least throughout the summer.

Not sure about keeping the lower vents closed while the uppers stay open. To me, you would want all the air you can get through. I know with them off, it is not nearly as bad heat wise.

When winter hits, the lowers will go back on (I ride all year, about the coldest it gets here is 35) and I might go back to close-loop for slightly better MPG.

Most of the heat is now coming from the rear cylinder and radiating up through the seat. I might put some isolation foil under the seat. I did use the Captain Crotch last year for a couple of months, but was able to get rid of most heat with the CAT removal and a good tune via PVCX. I did not like blocking most of the engine with it.

·
Registered
716 Posts
For a 30K + motorcycle Polaris really needs to develop a fix. I spoke to a rep and he said he would put me on a "list"
Be sure to instruct your grandchildren to check your status and see where you are on the "list" in 30 years:cool:

·
Senior member / silver
3,453 Posts
I understand the T111 is an air cooled engine and some heat is to be expected. All these "remedies" and having to shield yourself form heat injuries seems rather ridiculous to me. I have done ALL the mods, Stage 1 AC, gutted cat, wrapped cat in heat tape, installed Dobeck EJK, and STILL the heat on the right side is excessive on the right side. For a 30K + motorcycle Polaris really needs to develop a fix. I spoke to a rep and he said he would put me on a "list" as they are working on a remedy. I know as previous HD riders we are used to spending tons of money to fix the factory design problems. But the Indian is such a better motorcycle I think Polaris could do something to design this heat issue out of the bike as it is such a wide spread complaint. It should not take thousands of dollars at the consumer level to fix a problem they damn well had to know was there from day 1.
Sell it and get something else. You made a poor choice buying this bike and then thinking that the heat would some how go away after the fact. Try a Segway or maybe a pedal car.

Reactions: TerryJ

·
Registered
949 Posts
I still get heat to my right leg when sitting in traffic, the only way my legs get hot as hell sometimes, but I try to stay away from such a situation. I have dirty birds exhaust which really has no restrictions at all...ceramic coated and heat wrapped too. Still get heat, still don't mind! :)

·
Registered
108 Posts
I find it no hotter than my 07 Electraglide. Even the watercooled riders complain about heat. Its just part of riding. Fuelmoto solved the problem on the Eglid and they will solve the problem on the Indian. At least getting a gutted head pipe is easier and relatively low cost.

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
I ride in plus 100 degree days many days on end here in the Texas Hill Country.

Catless header, Captain Itch Croch Cooler, and a PVCX from FuelMoto helps a lot, but it's a air cooled motor.

If one can't handle the heat maybe they should go to one of the water cooled Rice Burners.

>---------> >---------> >--------->

Live Free - Ride Hard - Die Well

·
Bronze member
1,584 Posts
I have SI pipes and Indian SII cams. Still have the cat and no tuner. I have only experienced uncomfortable heat once on the bike in the last two riding seasons, and that was in 100+ temps and it was at a stop light.

I imagine it is individual riders that have a reaction based on what they are used to. If you came off of a WC bike, then it might be a little hot. Otherwise, it's about what other AC bikes are like. While my RM is definitely the hottest of my bikes, it's not that much worse, and when I traded with a friend on his Victory XC Tour, mine was surprisingly cooler.

Reactions: KevIndian

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
On really hot days I just ride up in the mountains!!! Middle of August I still need a coat up at the Eisenhower Tunnel.. Oh,,, you don't have big mountains???? Suffer on you flatlanders.......:)

Reactions: Gardner Sorrell
1 - 20 of 128 Posts