Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Asked in tech area but will try here too.
Anyone try the challenger engine guards from ebay?

I used the sissy bar rack so far so good..
Now looking at engine guards. Thnx

·
Registered
48 Posts
If you are talking about the rear ones by the saddlebags, I got mine from Amazon. Like $60 or something. They are probably all from the same Chinese factory. But the ones i got are pretty decent quality. They are gloss black and match the front crash bars. I say good deal for the price.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you are talking about the rear ones by the saddlebags, I got mine from Amazon. Like $60 or something. They are probably all from the same Chinese factory. But the ones i got are pretty decent quality. They are gloss black and match the front crash bars. I say good deal for the price.
Hi, I see the bars, are they all same configuration? I see lots for chieftain, dark horse etc..not challenger.
Thnx for any info.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Just to be clear, the rear bars are the same as Chieftain, etc. The front bars are unique to Challenger.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I bought the rear bag bars from Amazon. Finish looks proper and matches the Indian front bars fine.
Durability of the finish is the only question I have now, but only time will tell that story.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I bought the rear bag bars from Amazon. Finish looks proper and matches the Indian front bars fine.
Durability of the finish is the only question I have now, but only time will tell that story.
Warning about the bolts that come with the Amazon bars... Torque spec on those is 35 ft lbs (I think) and I think I felt one of mine starting to shear off when I cranked on it. I quit before my wrench clicked because I think it was about to give.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Warning about the bolts that come with the Amazon bars... Torque spec on those is 35 ft lbs (I think) and I think I felt one of mine starting to shear off when I cranked on it. I quit before my wrench clicked because I think it was about to give.
Good to know but I had no issues during the install of mine.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I added 1/2” spacers behind my rear bars so if I drop it no damage to bags.
Bought the aluminum traced it all out with a scribe, shop charged me $20 to cut them out then I sanded and drilled holes and purchased longer bolts.
You can barely see the spacers without removing the side panels.
David

Reactions: Rydahog

·
Registered
87 Posts
I added 1/2” spacers behind my rear bars so if I drop it no damage to bags.
Bought the aluminum traced it all out with a scribe, shop charged me $20 to cut them out then I sanded and drilled holes and purchased longer bolts.
You can barely see the spacers without removing the side panels.
David
The ones I got clear the bags by an inch or more.

·
Registered
134 Posts
You will hit the bag on a drop, not bad but could scrape the bag.
Many have done it on Chieftains and added collars on there bars.
Do a search on it, was just giving a heads up.

·
Registered
454 Posts
DId you torque them or just crank it? 35 ft lbs is not very tight.

·
Registered
41 Posts
DId you torque them or just crank it? 35 ft lbs is not very tight.
I was going by memory. Just checked the service manual: it's 45 ft lbs. But yeah, I stopped cranking before it clicked because the bolt felt like it was starting to shear. I didn't get to 45 ft lbs but it was close.

Edit: Looking more closely at the manual I think I might see the problem. The "highway bar fastener" is 45 ft lbs, but that's the FRONT highway bars. The rear bars attach at the "tipover cover fastener,", and that's only 18 ft lbs. There's nothing in the manual about a different torque spec if you're installing bars there instead of the cover, so maybe I misread the manual and overtorqued the hell out of them. That's definitely something I would do.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts