Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 Chieftain and would like to get some highway pegs. Are the engine guards 1.25 inches?

Also, these bike throw a lot of heat. Anyone using some form of heat deflector/shield and if so, any issue with engine over heating because of it?

Thanks to all.
bob Right.jpeg

·
Registered
747 Posts
There are a few balls heat reduction shields out there. Captain Itch makes beautiful ones from georgious USA hide and kariakin makes some plastic ones.
Others will chime in as I have not used them before.

·
Registered
28 Posts

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,436 Posts
I have a 2016 Chieftain and would like to get some highway pegs. Are the engine guards 1.25 inches?

Also, these bike throw a lot of heat. Anyone using some form of heat deflector/shield and if so, any issue with engine over heating because of it?

Thanks to all.
bob View attachment 596736
The Kuryakyn shields that @Sir Bag-A-Lot posted is an option. I have never used the Captain Itch shields but have concerns about how much air is prevented from reaching the aft jug. I know many riders on this forum have used them with little issues but we have seen a few bikes were there was evidence of heat stress to the aft cylinder. Not saying that the Captain Itch shields were to blame but they do cover the aft jug quite a bit. The biggest issue with heat is the cat. Some have tried ceramic coating and heat wraps with some success. The best solution is to remove the cat. My 15 RM also put out a lot of heat but with the addition of a Jackpot header and a good PVCX tune the heat is barely noticeable now. The only time I can feel the heat is when stuck in stop and go traffic but on an air cooled bike that is to be expected. Dean

·
Rider
620 Posts

Thanks to all.
bob View attachment 596736
Yes They're 1.25. I personally think the best I've used, out of the many are my current Kuryakyn Switchblades. Super comfy.

Also most people who use some sort of heat deflector on here use the Captain Itch: Touring Models Heat Shields - Quality Motorcycle Leather Goods

1 - 5 of 5 Posts