Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have or know about metal collars that fit around our engine guards that would help hold the bike up another inch or so in case the bike was dropped for example. Are they needed? What happens when the bike falls over in the garage? Do the factory bars prevent damage or would another inch higher help?

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
The factory bars prevent damage as they are. I've dropped my Springfield in u-turns a few times and the bars take the hit on the bottom corner. Some people don't like the idea of scraping the paint and I think they go for the collars for that reason.

They also stop the bike before the tipover sensor operates, so the motor sometimes keeps running.

I smoothed out the scrape and repainted the bar after my first drop. Two or three drops since than and I haven't bothered. It's not visible unless you go looking for the scrape.

·
Distinguished Founding Member
5,337 Posts
[IMG alt="Dr.Shifty"]https://www.indianmotorcycles.net/d2/avatars/m/30/30569.jpg?1516683380[/IMG]
Dr.Shifty
Bronze member

Joined Sep 26, 2016
4,431 Posts

#3 9 h ago

The factory bars prevent damage as they are. I've dropped my Springfield in u-turns a few times and the bars take the hit on the bottom corner. Some people don't like the idea of scraping the paint and I think they go for the collars for that reason.

They also stop the bike before the tipover sensor operates, so the motor sometimes keeps running.

That's when instinct should kick in to hit the Kill Button ..

·
Registered
185 Posts
Anyone have or know about metal collars that fit around our engine guards that would help hold the bike up another inch or so in case the bike was dropped for example. Are they needed? What happens when the bike falls over in the garage? Do the factory bars prevent damage or would another inch higher help?
A collar like this?

Reference this post:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes VegasMarc, that's exactly what I was talking about. The total distance the collar would raise the bike would be small so I don't know that it would change the auto shut off feature. But maybe they just aren't needed either so that was the question. It sounds like the consensus is that they aren't needed and that makes sense. Crash bars were designed to do the job at hand.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
VegasMarc - I have a question for you if you would be so kind. How did you know where to place the collars? If you were off just a bit, they wouldn't do any good. I bought those you recommended and thought maybe extending an imaginary line from each end. Where would intersect might be the right place? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
259 Posts
I dropped my bike once on each side. The left side actually touched the outboard lower edge of the saddle bag which scratched the paint slightly. I added the two piece collars to raise that portion of the saddle bag by about 1/4”. Not trying to make a habit of laying it over but laid it over in the shop to check for the optimum position of the new collars.

Tim

50319D9B-A066-4E53-B895-DFF226A8E6A8.jpeg
FB4BA0DA-3BDC-4FDE-BBC5-4A3EC8A35680.jpeg

Reactions: BHlvr

·
Registered
185 Posts
VegasMarc - I have a question for you if you would be so kind. How did you know where to place the collars? If you were off just a bit, they wouldn't do any good. I bought those you recommended and thought maybe extending an imaginary line from each end. Where would intersect might be the right place? Any thoughts?

@AZ Rider, that wasn’t my bike in that post and I don’t have those collars installed. I just wanted to point you in the right direction after seeing your question.

The OP of that thread is @MrStrike so you can either PM him or ask your question in that previously mentioned post.

Good luck and hope the collars work out for you my friend!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
VegasMarc: Whether the bike was yours or not was not important. The information was. By the way, I ordered the collars via your response at 4pm that day from Calif ( I live in AZ) and they were delivered by 4pm the next day. I was shocked for such quick delivery. The collars are as advertised too and in this day and age, another shock for me. So I'm glad you responded and glad the forum works as it was set up to do - help each other with our bike concerns. So, a thank you to you and all who take the time here to respond to questions.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts