Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just headed out for an evening cruise and heading out on my street, I got the engine check light and then the throttle stopped responding. The throttle rotates and snaps back, but no power. Turned it off and back on- no change. Started walking the bike back to the house, stopped and decided to try it again. This time, I still have Check Engine light, but throttle responds.

Get home and check codes- I have 2

P0227
P1135

Anyone seen this? Full disclosure, I changed out the bars, but that was 2 weeks and 1500 miles ago.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nothing. I cleared the codes that night, rode for an hour. Friday took it to the dealer and showed them a picture of the codes, they couldn't find anything. If it happens again, I will open a ticket with Indian.

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
The canbus system keeps a check on the operation of everything and that voltage low code says that in that moment it read the throttle to check it and it wasn't connecting properly. The second message looks like they have two checks and match them for a failsafe.

First thing I'd look at is making sure the connectors between the throttle grip and the harness are all plugged up snug. I don't know if you had to use a different wiring harness through the new bars, but I imagine that part of the wiring is separate from the main loom. If there are more connectors below the bars, check them as well.

Next thought is that the wiring inside the bars has rubbed through and causing a bad circuit. Do the new bars have a sharp turn?

Moving the bars around when you started pushing might have allowed the problem to connect up again.

And last thing, but sometimes should be first, is to check the battery connections and frame ground wire. If they are not snugged up tight it can cause random problems.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Nothing. I cleared the codes that night, rode for an hour. Friday took it to the dealer and showed them a picture of the codes, they couldn't find anything. If it happens again, I will open a ticket with Indian.
Hopefully it was just a random electrical glitch. If I remember right, you bought yours at Gregory Polaris? Have you contacted them to see if any of their other Challengers have thrown these codes, and what the solution was?

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
I had a Suzuki GS1000 many years ago and it started to show a fault in the starter motor. Sometimes it would start OK and other times the starter would not spin. The bike would push start easily, but it was a headache. I worked out that moving the bars half way to each side made it work or not work, so I figured there was a bad connection somewhere.

It took a lot of searching through the loom down the bars and under the tank and I found nothing. So I unwound the plastic wrap they used to bind the loom together and found the starter button circuit went under the tank, then turned around and came forward into the headlight bucket, and then under the tank again and to the starter solenoid. In the headlight was a connector that had lost its clip and was coming loose. I locked it closed with a cable tie, problem solved.

Years later and I still can't figure why they diverted the wiring and put that connector in there. It taught me that the problem is not always in the most obvious place.

·
Registered
140 Posts
samething happend to my 2020 Challenger less than 600 miles took it back to dealer they replaced the throttle thingy and did a software update and now she purrs

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
439 Posts
How did you clear the codes, I assume on a Challenger?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts