Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been getting a code 523 repeatedly on my system. I have taken it into the dealership and they have replaced the Gear Sensor Switch but the fault still shows from time to time. I have been tracking the faults and it only occurs when the bike gets hot. Usually after a real hot day riding, a long ride, or traffic. And when the bike cools (usually over night) the fault goes away. Heat is the factor that appears to cause it and I will be putting an oil cooler on the bike. I'm thinking this might help with the fault. Does anyone else have any ideas that could help? I am an avid rider which plays a part and put over 1000 miles a month on the bike.

·
Founding member
887 Posts
I have been getting a code 523 repeatedly on my system. I have taken it into the dealership and they have replaced the Gear Sensor Switch but the fault still shows from time to time. I have been tracking the faults and it only occurs when the bike gets hot. Usually after a real hot day riding, a long ride, or traffic. And when the bike cools (usually over night) the fault goes away. Heat is the factor that appears to cause it and I will be putting an oil cooler on the bike. I'm thinking this might help with the fault. Does anyone else have any ideas that could help? I am an avid rider which plays a part and put over 1000 miles a month on the bike.
Old thread but I have same issue. Will talk to dealer on Monday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
Re 523 engine code-gear sensor et al. after a 400 mile day and leaving my 2017 RM out in the cold overnight it failed to start in the AM. No headlight, no N for neutral, a check engine light on , cruise control indicator on and the kickstand S on regardless of the position . 3 codes showed, gear sensor , cruise control, and operator switch. Tried many times, checked all of the smaller fuses. Read here in the forum someplace to remove the 2 large 10 and 20 amp fuses, wait 10 sec and reinstall. This apparently has the same effect as removing the battery cable. Did this when I got home after a 180 mile tow truck ride. Viola, started right up. Check engine light went off after a couple restarts.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Re 523 engine code-gear sensor et al. after a 400 mile day and leaving my 2017 RM out in the cold overnight it failed to start in the AM. No headlight, no N for neutral, a check engine light on , cruise control indicator on and the kickstand S on regardless of the position . 3 codes showed, gear sensor , cruise control, and operator switch. Tried many times, checked all of the smaller fuses. Read here in the forum someplace to remove the 2 large 10 and 20 amp fuses, wait 10 sec and reinstall. This apparently has the same effect as removing the battery cable. Did this when I got home after a 180 mile tow truck ride. Viola, started right up. Check engine light went off after a couple restarts.
That had to be maddening.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts