Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Engine check light....

6K views 29 replies 8 participants last post by  Americanhorse 
#1 ·
I have a 2018 springfield darkhorse, has 454 miles on it. Today i rode for an hour, stopped at a buddies and when i left the check engine light was on. What could cause it and can i get the code from my instrument panel or does it need to go to the shop?

#2 ·
While your check engine light is on, you can view the error code, suspect parameter number, and failure mode indicator on your digital display within your speedometer. However, this is only visible when your check engine light is on. If your check engine light is no longer on, you will have to take it to the dealer for them to use their digital wrench to read the historical logs. This past weekend my Springfield threw an error and the check engine light came on. I thought I could pull the code with my Dynojet PVCX, but that didn't work. I'm about 20 days from my warranty expiring so I took it to the dealer for them to read it. It was a mapping error, and they told me the event was something like an "implausible" mapping calculation. I suspect that one of the sensors sent a value that was outside of the expected values from the ECM. But, that was a one time event. I have ridden it every day this week without any more issues.

#4 ·
If the condition that caused the error is no longer present, the check engine light will automatically go away after a few successful restarts. However, if there is still an issue, the light will remain on. Out of curiosity, did your bike run any different while the light was on. Mine went into a safe mode, and had about 10% power, and wouldn't spin up over 2000 RPM.

#8 ·
If the check engine light is on, you should be able to retrieve the error code from the display by using the left toggle switch to toggle until "Ck ENG" displays on the main line of the display. Then press and hold the left-toggle switch to enter the diagnostic code menu. Record the three numbers displayed in the gear position, clock, and odometer displays.

#9 ·
I tried attaching a table of trouble codes, but apparently my work PC won't allow me to load it. Post your codes and I will see if I can tell you what the meaning is.

#10 ·
I did a rolling burn out a few weeks back and right after I got a check engine light as well. Took it to the dealer, they plugged it in. He asked if I did any burn outs....it threw a code saying the back tire was spinning faster than the front. Confused the computer and thru the code. He said it could happen when you just put the beans to it and run thru the gears. Sometimes it throws a code and sometimes it doesnt...

#12 ·
I have the same bike and in over 50,000 kms I've had a few error codes. Some put it into limp mode (only twice) but most don't. The most common one is a timing fault when i first start up. I can turn the bike off and restart and the light is gone.

I think it happens more on cold starts, not always, and is related to the automatic compression release system. If a piston has stopped on the compression stroke it might try to fire before the decompressor has activated and gives a slight kick-back which the knock sensor registers as the timing being too advanced. That's just my thinking, having had this conversation with a few mechanics who sometimes see it happening.

#13 ·
You can check error codes with a free phone app called Indian Diagnostics. Each code has two numbers. This is what they look like on the dash.

This is 598 / 9. The 598 is a clutch switch signal error, but the app doesn't know the 9. I might have hit the starter the same moment I pulled the clutch in while in gear and it didn't know what state it was in at the time.

#16 ·
Thanks everyone. I went to get the code and light was off now.... not sure why. In response to a few of the replies, i DID give it the beans and it DID spin the tire a bit right before light came on. It did NOT go into "limp" mode or do anything funny nor did it sound funny. I have since ridden 200 miles and have not seen the light at all again even with a bit of aggressive riding. The bikes sweet.... a real pleasure to own.

#17 ·
Thanks everyone. I went to get the code and light was off now.... not sure why.
As I mentioned in post #4, the light will automatically go out if the fault is no longer present after a few successful shutdown / startup routines. There are many "errors" that can cause the check engine light to come on. But many won't put the engine in a limp mode. Just keep and eye on your display and if you get another error, now you should know how to pull it. The error codes are listed in the Service Manual. If you don't have one, you can post on here and one of us can look it up for you. Enjoy your Springfield, they are great bikes.

#25 ·
Have your dealer run the VIN# of your bike and see if yours has any outstanding recalls too. Trans position switch is one that they sent out not too long ago, but still waiting on parts, but they would clean it in the mean time.

#26 ·
if you purchase the pv3 through fuelmoto you get there map support which is huge. they download your stock map so you can't mess it up or destroy it and put a tune on top of your stock from what I understand. im an idiot and wa able to mess it up mildly for a minute and still didn't ruin anything and the bike runs strong, even a stock retune will make your baby run better.
my bike went into limp mode several times last fall for according to the dealer no real reason. slight bump in voltage... I tried to press them as to why, I think didn't really know and expected it to not happen again. They did a few recalls and its been fine. The bike is over protective of itself it seems. I would reset the light and ride. I hate seeing the annoying lights ha

#28 ·
I used to stop the bike with the kickstand but one time the service guy said I was doing it too much. The bike registers a kick stand stop as an error and it keeps count. The service guy says there's a limit to the number (50 or 100 or something like that) and the bike won't start until those built-up codes are cleared from the history. It's overkill in my opinion, but it displays the readiness the bike has to throw a tantrum about inconsequential matters.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.