Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 springfield darkhorse, has 454 miles on it. Today i rode for an hour, stopped at a buddies and when i left the check engine light was on. What could cause it and can i get the code from my instrument panel or does it need to go to the shop?

·
Rider
659 Posts
While your check engine light is on, you can view the error code, suspect parameter number, and failure mode indicator on your digital display within your speedometer. However, this is only visible when your check engine light is on. If your check engine light is no longer on, you will have to take it to the dealer for them to use their digital wrench to read the historical logs. This past weekend my Springfield threw an error and the check engine light came on. I thought I could pull the code with my Dynojet PVCX, but that didn't work. I'm about 20 days from my warranty expiring so I took it to the dealer for them to read it. It was a mapping error, and they told me the event was something like an "implausible" mapping calculation. I suspect that one of the sensors sent a value that was outside of the expected values from the ECM. But, that was a one time event. I have ridden it every day this week without any more issues.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
While your check engine light is on, you can view the error code, suspect parameter number, and failure mode indicator on your digital display within your speedometer. However, this is only visible when your check engine light is on. If your check engine light is no longer on, you will have to take it to the dealer for them to use their digital wrench to read the historical logs. This past weekend my Springfield threw an error and the check engine light came on. I thought I could pull the code with my Dynojet PVCX, but that didn't work. I'm about 20 days from my warranty expiring so I took it to the dealer for them to read it. It was a mapping error, and they told me the event was something like an "implausible" mapping calculation. I suspect that one of the sensors sent a value that was outside of the expected values from the ECM. But, that was a one time event. I have ridden it every day this week without any more issues.
Oh, im not concerned about it being an actual engine issue. Everything is running well and fluid. Is there a way to reset the light to see if it happens again?

·
Rider
659 Posts
If the condition that caused the error is no longer present, the check engine light will automatically go away after a few successful restarts. However, if there is still an issue, the light will remain on. Out of curiosity, did your bike run any different while the light was on. Mine went into a safe mode, and had about 10% power, and wouldn't spin up over 2000 RPM.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If the condition that caused the error is no longer present, the check engine light will automatically go away after a few successful restarts. However, if there is still an issue, the light will remain on. Out of curiosity, did your bike run any different while the light was on. Mine went into a safe mode, and had about 10% power, and wouldn't spin up over 2000 RPM.
No, it ran perfectly normal

·
Rider
659 Posts
So, I take it the light is not on now? Did the light remain on when you restarted the bike the first few times? Where you able to get the code?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, I take it the light is not on now? Did the light remain on when you restarted the bike the first few times? Where you able to get the code?
It is still on and i am not able to get any kind of code as im not sure where to look. Thats sort of what i wanted to know, but it appears i have to take it to the shop

·
Rider
659 Posts
If the check engine light is on, you should be able to retrieve the error code from the display by using the left toggle switch to toggle until "Ck ENG" displays on the main line of the display. Then press and hold the left-toggle switch to enter the diagnostic code menu. Record the three numbers displayed in the gear position, clock, and odometer displays.

·
Rider
659 Posts
I tried attaching a table of trouble codes, but apparently my work PC won't allow me to load it. Post your codes and I will see if I can tell you what the meaning is.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I did a rolling burn out a few weeks back and right after I got a check engine light as well. Took it to the dealer, they plugged it in. He asked if I did any burn outs....it threw a code saying the back tire was spinning faster than the front. Confused the computer and thru the code. He said it could happen when you just put the beans to it and run thru the gears. Sometimes it throws a code and sometimes it doesnt...

·
Bronze member
5,077 Posts
It was a mapping error, and they told me the event was something like an "implausible" mapping calculation. I suspect that one of the sensors sent a value that was outside of the expected values from the ECM. But, that was a one time event. I have ridden it every day this week without any more issues.
This error is typically caused by accelerating hard in 1st or 2nd and hitting up against the rev limiter or close to it. The ECM throws a bit of a tantrum when the throttle is giving it a high torque demand that might be out of range for the rpm - that's where the 'implausible' comes in.

·
Bronze member
5,077 Posts
I have a 2018 springfield darkhorse, has 454 miles on it. Today i rode for an hour, stopped at a buddies and when i left the check engine light was on. What could cause it and can i get the code from my instrument panel or does it need to go to the shop?
I have the same bike and in over 50,000 kms I've had a few error codes. Some put it into limp mode (only twice) but most don't. The most common one is a timing fault when i first start up. I can turn the bike off and restart and the light is gone.

I think it happens more on cold starts, not always, and is related to the automatic compression release system. If a piston has stopped on the compression stroke it might try to fire before the decompressor has activated and gives a slight kick-back which the knock sensor registers as the timing being too advanced. That's just my thinking, having had this conversation with a few mechanics who sometimes see it happening.

·
Bronze member
5,077 Posts
You can check error codes with a free phone app called Indian Diagnostics. Each code has two numbers. This is what they look like on the dash.

This is 598 / 9. The 598 is a clutch switch signal error, but the app doesn't know the 9. I might have hit the starter the same moment I pulled the clutch in while in gear and it didn't know what state it was in at the time.

·
Rider
659 Posts
This error is typically caused by accelerating hard in 1st or 2nd and hitting up against the rev limiter or close to it. The ECM throws a bit of a tantrum when the throttle is giving it a high torque demand that might be out of range for the rpm - that's where the 'implausible' comes in.
When the fault occured, I was just putting through the neighborhood on my way to get out for a ride. I should had recorded the fault code, but wasn't too concerned thinking that I could pull it with the PCVX later. Well the reader didn't pull it, and since it was a one time code and I was curious as to what it was, I had the dealer pull it. They didn't tell me the code #, and only mentioned that it was an "implausible" error. According the SM, I think it had to do with the TPS sensor. I am running a tune with an elevated TPS response, and the throttle can be a little jumpy when trying to maintain a slow speed. In my case maybe the torque demand was too great for the low RPM??

·
Bronze member
5,077 Posts
They didn't tell me the code #, and only mentioned that it was an "implausible" error. According the SM, I think it had to do with the TPS sensor. I am running a tune with an elevated TPS response, and the throttle can be a little jumpy when trying to maintain a slow speed. In my case maybe the torque demand was too great for the low RPM??

View attachment 583340
I've also got a fairly aggressive setup on the throttle response settings with the PVCX but it's not jumpy. The dyno guy who tuned my bike considered it too aggressive for his riding style but it seems OK to me. The setting from new was woefully lazy.

Perhaps your particular setting needs the ceiling tables adjusted to match the main throttle response curve.

My dyno guy said they had a Springfield that threw this error very often and gave them a lot of trouble trying to tune it. It might be that some bikes are more sensitive to it for some other reason.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone. I went to get the code and light was off now.... not sure why. In response to a few of the replies, i DID give it the beans and it DID spin the tire a bit right before light came on. It did NOT go into "limp" mode or do anything funny nor did it sound funny. I have since ridden 200 miles and have not seen the light at all again even with a bit of aggressive riding. The bikes sweet.... a real pleasure to own.

·
Rider
659 Posts
Thanks everyone. I went to get the code and light was off now.... not sure why.
As I mentioned in post #4, the light will automatically go out if the fault is no longer present after a few successful shutdown / startup routines. There are many "errors" that can cause the check engine light to come on. But many won't put the engine in a limp mode. Just keep and eye on your display and if you get another error, now you should know how to pull it. The error codes are listed in the Service Manual. If you don't have one, you can post on here and one of us can look it up for you. Enjoy your Springfield, they are great bikes.

·
Rider
659 Posts
I've also got a fairly aggressive setup on the throttle response settings with the PVCX but it's not jumpy. The dyno guy who tuned my bike considered it too aggressive for his riding style but it seems OK to me. The setting from new was woefully lazy.

Perhaps your particular setting needs the ceiling tables adjusted to match the main throttle response curve.

My dyno guy said they had a Springfield that threw this error very often and gave them a lot of trouble trying to tune it. It might be that some bikes are more sensitive to it for some other reason.
I agree, that the stock tune was "woefully lazy". I much prefer my more aggressive response, and it usually is not an issue for normal riding. However, when trying to hold a steady slow speed on a somewhat bumpy road can be a little tricky due to the slightest wrist twist causing power changes.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
As I mentioned in post #4, the light will automatically go out if the fault is no longer present after a few successful shutdown / startup routines. There are many "errors" that can cause the check engine light to come on. But many won't put the engine in a limp mode. Just keep and eye on your display and if you get another error, now you should know how to pull it. The error codes are listed in the Service Manual. If you don't have one, you can post on here and one of us can look it up for you. Enjoy your Springfield, they are great bikes.
Thanks a lot! I do enjoy the bike. Ive never had a motorcycle with a check engine light, maybe this is the first one that tells me "dont do that".....ive always wondered if they get mad at me and now i know

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I agree, that the stock tune was "woefully lazy". I much prefer my more aggressive response, and it usually is not an issue for normal riding. However, when trying to hold a steady slow speed on a somewhat bumpy road can be a little tricky due to the slightest wrist twist causing power changes.
Who mapped it? Is there a device that can hold a few maps that you can change on the fly?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts