Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I just returned from a ride on our new Scouts in unseasonal 70 degree weather. Great ride!

However, after parking both bikes in the garage, I noticed a high pitch buzzing. It sounds similar to what old TV stations used to broadcast as part of the Emergency Broadcast System. It's definitely coming from my bike, right around the instrument cluster.

Wife's bike is of course quiet. Just sits there in a mocking sort of silence. A cloud of silent silver smoke if you will.

Anyway, I called my local Indian Dealership and their mechanic said it was a first for him, but he could hear the buzzing over the phone. He said I could bring it in in a couple of days - assuming the buzz is still there.

Anyone have a clue what this might be?

·
Registered
656 Posts
Sounds like what some have said was air pressure in their gas tank - can't speak from experience yet as no bike. Just a thought if you open the tank and the sound goes away.

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
My wife and I just returned from a ride on our new Scouts in unseasonal 70 degree weather. Great ride!

However, after parking both bikes in the garage, I noticed a high pitch buzzing. It sounds similar to what old TV stations used to broadcast as part of the Emergency Broadcast System. It's definitely coming from my bike, right around the instrument cluster.

Wife's bike is of course quiet. Just sits there in a mocking sort of silence. A cloud of silent silver smoke if you will.

Anyway, I called my local Indian Dealership and their mechanic said it was a first for him, but he could hear the buzzing over the phone. He said I could bring it in in a couple of days - assuming the buzz is still there.

Sounds like what some have said was air pressure in their gas tank - can't speak from experience yet as no bike. Just a thought if you open the tank and the sound goes away.
Agree with Cindy, it is pressure in the tank. Mine does it, just pop the cap. At first I thought it was because of low fuel, but the last time I got the high pitch sound I had a full tank. Possibly a combination of things, heat, amount in the tank, not sure. :D

·
Founding member / platinum
10,006 Posts
Agree with Cindy, it is pressure in the tank. Mine does it, just pop the cap. At first I thought it was because of low fuel, but the last time I got the high pitch sound I had a full tank. Possibly a combination of things, heat, amount in the tank, not sure. :D
I agree with both elrod and Cindy, but another possibility is the cooling fan may be running if the engine was a little warm when parked.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the feedback, folks. The buzzing went away about 45 minutes later. Seems like a long time for a gas tank to relieve pressure, but at least I have something to try next time I hear it. And I'll check on the fan too if it turns out not to be the tank. I appreciate the help!

·
Aspire to inspire before you expire
191 Posts
Thanks for the feedback, folks. The buzzing went away about 45 minutes later. Seems like a long time for a gas tank to relieve pressure, but at least I have something to try next time I hear it. And I'll check on the fan too if it turns out not to be the tank. I appreciate the help!
It's the gas tank venting pressure. Spoke to a demo driver and he said that all the Scouts were doing it, and that it took a bout 30 minutes or so for them all to quiet down.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
All of my Kawasaki Vulcans had whistling gas tanks from fuel tank venting... Great :(

·
Registered
572 Posts
It seems all the new computer control vehicles have a shut down routine to work through. You ought to hear all the noise the Mercedes makes both before & after your hit the ignition. Best advice... just walk away and let it do it's thing.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Ha! Made me look, reminds me of the "mines bigger than yours" thread. If it is the tank, I wonder if you cracked the lid open while it's running if that it would throw a code like the newer cars and trucks. A friend of mine had some problems a few years back with his suburban throwing a code only to find out when he went to fuel up, that his wife forgot to put the cap back. Reminds me of the old Saturday night live with Belushi, abuzz buzz buzz buzz

·
Registered
227 Posts

OK I think we're hearing that same "tone" too, and I would like to know what it is(!!) There were a few of us hanging around the Scout when this tone started sounding & we all heard it. At the time we didn't think to pop open the fuel cap to see if it was whistling tank pressure..

..but thinking about it, it sounded electronic in nature not air (gas vapor) pressure, nor did it sound like the cooling fan either that would be easy to ID..

It would 'start' then just as quickly 'stop' and the sound was either on-or-off, meaning it didn't ramp up or ramp down in volume. And, if I stick my ear right beside the speedometer the sound was the clearest. I'm pretty sure the sound is coming from there. Nobody else can confirm?

·
Registered
572 Posts
Experimenting, I came up with a possible fix or at least an explanation. I had been filling my gas right up to the
neck of the tank. I tried just letting the nozzle kick off and put no more in. Viola! No noise. repeated the same drill twice now without the noise. That appears to be the solution on my bike, results may vary with yours.

G

·
OK I think we're hearing that same "tone" too, and I would like to know what it is(!!) There were a few of us hanging around the Scout when this tone started sounding & we all heard it. At the time we didn't think to pop open the fuel cap to see if it was whistling tank pressure..

..but thinking about it, it sounded electronic in nature not air (gas vapor) pressure, nor did it sound like the cooling fan either that would be easy to ID..

It would 'start' then just as quickly 'stop' and the sound was either on-or-off, meaning it didn't ramp up or ramp down in volume. And, if I stick my ear right beside the speedometer the sound was the clearest. I'm pretty sure the sound is coming from there. Nobody else can confirm?
My Scout did it on occasion, opened gas cap and would stop. Then sometimes it would start up again...

·
Registered
694 Posts
its strange, my scout has only done the gas tank "whistle" one time and that was when i let it run out of fuel to see what my range was.it did it on the fuel up afterward. it had never done it before and it has never done it again......

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'm wondering if the heat from that big engine is causing the fuel to expand and possibly vaporize when you park it. It might be worse if you don't have much fuel in the tank. When you are in motion very little heat is getting to the tank me thinks!

G

·
I'm wondering if the heat from that big engine is causing the fuel to expand and possibly vaporize when you park it. It might be worse if you don't have much fuel in the tank. When you are in motion very little heat is getting to the tank me thinks!
Could be that or could be defective tanks had a small hole that weld didn't cover up..

·
Registered
220 Posts
II noticed when I kept it out of the Sun while parked it would quit a lot sooner too

1 - 20 of 20 Posts