Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Senior member / gold
6,220 Posts
Bloody Americans! Everything has to be bigger than Christmas! Or Texas! (Unless you're a Texan,....) Maye, YOU got a fright! buddy! I was right there with you! That is some storm you experienced but scary as they are, they are also awesome! That was lightning Boston, start to finish. Something to tell, hell! Something to SHOW the grandkids down the track,......great clip Bud, great clip,.....
Alpal

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow! Not a time to be riding! Where are you?

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk
Wow! Not a time to be riding! Where are you?

I was outside of Corpus Christi, Texas on my way back from New Orleans. Took off for New Orleans from North Padre Island Saturday at 5:30 and left New Orleans Sunday afternoon. I ran into that storm at 1 AM Monday morning. Just over 1100 mile weekend trip. The lightning got too CLOSE and shook me, so I pulled underneath the bridge to let the BIG killer ones to past. That laws about good 1.5 hours. Then I had decided to Ride on in the rest of the Thunderstorm. Adventure! Adrenaline rush! Crazy and stupid, perhaps!

Going on a cross country Adventure mid/late June. My Facebook user page is Endless Miles Rider. Thank you!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bloody Americans! Everything has to be bigger than Christmas! Or Texas! (Unless you're a Texan,....) Maye, YOU got a fright! buddy! I was right there with you! That is some storm you experienced but scary as they are, they are also awesome! That was lightning Boston, start to finish. Something to tell, hell! Something to SHOW the grandkids down the track,......great clip Bud, great clip,.....
Alpal

Apal, I have more videos with Brighter and Badder lightning strikes from that storm.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I was outside of Corpus Christi, Texas on my way back from New Orleans. Took off for New Orleans from North Padre Island Saturday at 5:30 and left New Orleans Sunday afternoon. I ran into that storm at 1 AM Monday morning. Just over 1100 mile weekend trip. The lightning got too CLOSE and shook me, so I pulled underneath the bridge to let the BIG killer ones to past. That laws about good 1.5 hours. Then I had decided to Ride on in the rest of the Thunderstorm. Adventure! Adrenaline rush! Crazy and stupid, perhaps!

Going on a cross country Adventure mid/late June. My Facebook user page is Endless Miles Rider. Thank you!
I've been caught in thunderstorms like that before with some lightning getting close enough I could feel heat! Btw the overpass is NOT a good shelter. Ride on my friend. I only wish that I could have the adventure you are about to undertake!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've been caught in thunderstorms like that before with some lightning getting close enough I could feel heat! Btw the overpass is NOT a good shelter. Ride on my friend. I only wish that I could have the adventure you are about to undertake!

Under the circumstance and middle of nowhere at 1 AM, the overpass was a refuge! Yes, lightning doesn't go in a straight line and can travel several miles from its origin. Thanks!

You have a great Ride too! Cheers!

·
Banned
2,947 Posts
Endless Miles Rider.

You sound like a good candidate for the Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge!;)

Reactions: drvrkat

·
Registered
124 Posts
Under the circumstance and middle of nowhere at 1 AM, the overpass was a refuge! Yes, lightning doesn't go in a straight line and can travel several miles from its origin. Thanks!

You have a great Ride too! Cheers!
I hear you! I once took refuge under a fuel island canopy. Was only refuge but certainly not enough!

·
Rider
313 Posts
I've had that happen. Weather report says nothing yet a deluge. I have taken refuge under an overpass for hours and afterwards had the road so filled with water I got drenched just trying to get to the next exit.

·
Banned
2,947 Posts
Got caught in a hell of a Thunderstorm in 2010 near Red Dear Alberta.

It got so bad I couldn't see shit and was next to impossible to hold the bike on the road.

I took refuge under an overpass at an exit ramp and one of the lightning flashes were bright enough to illuminate a motel sign across the hiway.

I made it over to the motel and the desk clerk told me she had just heard a tornado touched down just a couple kms away.

I ended up staying in that motel for 3 days waiting that one out.

Reactions: drvrkat
1 - 12 of 12 Posts