Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Bronze member
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Route 66 is the quirky, touristy, slab from Chicago to the Santa Monica Pier. More and more of the old road and it's best attractions close down each year. This year was the 92nd year of Route 66. If you haven't ridden Route 66 there is no better time. If you have ridden it please share one of your stories of the "Mother Road".

End of the road ahead? Route 66 named to list of endangered historic places

·
Founding member / Distinguished
Indians. LOTS of Indians
3,895 Posts
problem is.... it muddies onto interstate and other roads along the way ....

·
Registered
167 Posts
Been dying to take that ride (at least part of it) for years now. My problem is the nearest place for me to get on Route 66 is in Oklahoma...a 20+ hour ride for me by itself...and that's if I stick to all highway all the way. Would love to take it through Oklahoma, Texas, and New Mexico...Arizona if time allowed...and then turn around and come back. Tough for me to take 2 weeks vacation at work at the same time. They like us to split them up. So can't cram that ride into 1 week. But one of these days I'm gonna just tell them I'm taking 2 together and head for 66!

·
Bronze member
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There's some pretty cool places in Illinois and Oklahoma but haven't found any in Missouri left. I'm sure there's plenty more I don't know of.
There are a few...but they are disappearing. The store by this attraction has already closed - this was 2 years ago.
Rt 66 Rocker MS.jpg

·
Bronze member
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Would love to take it through Oklahoma, Texas, and New Mexico...Arizona if time allowed...and then turn around and come back.
This is why most of the folks I ran into on the "Mother Road" were from other countries. Most Americans have to work and don't get a month off from work every year as some europeans do. Oatman, AZ is one of the more interesting places to go on Route 66. It's past Kingman.

·
I want to go fast.
1,268 Posts
My best friend and I did 66 in a Suzuki Samari in ‘89. Went way out of our way to find all the abandoned parts and drive on them. That video brought back memories. The pictures I have from the trip are mostly 35mm B&W; some color.

·
Bronze member
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My best friend and I did 66 in a Suzuki Samari in ‘89. Went way out of our way to find all the abandoned parts and drive on them.
I hit every remaining part of the road...and spent 3 weeks doing it. In California I even got suckered by one of their "Historic Route 66" exit now signs. What I got was a hundred yards of broken asphalt that ended in a 12 foot high blockade of debris placed so you couldn't ride any further down the road (which was being torn up). I'm sure you saw much more of the road than anyone see's today although a lot of new attractions do pop up. Was "Two Gun" still there? It's basically a hazard to take a bike there now - too much glass and debris. You can walk to it from the road I guess...but I wouldn't.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Been dying to take that ride (at least part of it) for years now. My problem is the nearest place for me to get on Route 66 is in Oklahoma...a 20+ hour ride for me by itself...and that's if I stick to all highway all the way. Would love to take it through Oklahoma, Texas, and New Mexico...Arizona if time allowed...and then turn around and come back. Tough for me to take 2 weeks vacation at work at the same time. They like us to split them up. So can't cram that ride into 1 week. But one of these days I'm gonna just tell them I'm taking 2 together and head for 66!
The Round Barn and Pops (a great place to eat and admire all the collection of soda bottles) are just East of OKC in Arcadia. Worth a visit and meet riders from all over the world.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I hit every remaining part of the road...and spent 3 weeks doing it. In California I even got suckered by one of their "Historic Route 66" exit now signs. What I got was a hundred yards of broken asphalt that ended in a 12 foot high blockade of debris placed so you couldn't ride any further down the road (which was being torn up). I'm sure you saw much more of the road than anyone see's today although a lot of new attractions do pop up. Was "Two Gun" still there? It's basically a hazard to take a bike there now - too much glass and debris. You can walk to it from the road I guess...but I wouldn't.
Instead of using all the CA tax money on infrastructure, they use it to support all the illegals. The closer you get to CA the better your gas mileage, because CA sucks!

·
I want to go fast.
1,268 Posts
Two Guns was still there. There were so many miles of abandoned road and abandoned little towns, old gas stations and motels. We spent a lot of time opening fences and closing them behind us. We had a book on Route 66 and had collected old state maps from the 50’s for the trip. Old and brittle, but those maps next to modern maps helped us find the old road. Doing the trip in that tiny 4-wheel drive allowed us to go places you’d never go in a car. If I’d had an adventure bike back then.... I had an ‘81 Kawasaki CSR 650 in those days.

Reactions: One-Eyed Jack

·
Bronze member
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Round Barn and Pops (a great place to eat and admire all the collection of soda bottles) are just East of OKC in Arcadia. Worth a visit and meet riders from all over the world.
Absolutely. Very few round barns left in the country. And Pops is a Route 66 icon. The neon bottle changes colors after it gets dark too.

Round barn.JPG
Pops 1.JPG

·
Silver member
3,423 Posts
Us 70 in east TN is littered with old dead business buildings. It is very sad. If you use your imagination you can just see the mom and pops stores making a living for the family.:(

·
Bronze member
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
T We had a book on Route 66 and had collected old state maps from the 50’s for the trip. Old and brittle, but those maps next to modern maps helped us find the old road.
Don, the guy who sold me my Scout, heard I was going to ride Route 66 and loaned me his copy of "Route 66 - The Mother Road" by Michael Walls. When I got it home I looked inside and it had been signed by the author to him. One of the better photo books on Route 66 with some of the best stories. And boy did I take care of that book till I got it back to Don.

Reactions: HINK

·
I want to go fast.
1,268 Posts
Very cool! I’ve got a copy of that book somewhere. It came out soon after our trip, we both bought it.

Reactions: One-Eyed Jack

·
Bronze member
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Us 70 in east TN is littered with old dead business buildings. It is very sad. If you use your imagination you can just see the mom and pops stores making a living for the family.:(
That's sounds like a lot of Route 66...old businesses that have come and gone. Some of the unique buildings have been preserved...most haven't been. Some examples:
Lucilles.JPG
More ruins.JPG
Texas.jpg
Ruins Ron Jon.JPG

·
Bronze member
1,314 Posts
I've taken many of those old stretches in my truck over the years. I've also seen through many trips the Langoliers are truly eating that road up as well. They're eating up a very large portion of the independent diners. My last few trips across Texas I had a hard time finding a mom and pop to get breakfast, or really any place to get a sit down breakfast.

I won't speculate whether this change is good or bad but the world I've enjoyed is leaving me behind. I'd be naive to believe it would always remain as it was already dying as I was coming up. I consider myself fortunate I got to see what I saw while I could.

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
I've taken many of those old stretches in my truck over the years. I've also seen through many trips the Langoliers are truly eating that road up as well. They're eating up a very large portion of the independent diners. My last few trips across Texas I had a hard time finding a mom and pop to get breakfast, or really any place to get a sit down breakfast.

I won't speculate whether this change is good or bad but the world I've enjoyed is leaving me behind. I'd be naive to believe it would always remain as it was already dying as I was coming up. I consider myself fortunate I got to see what I saw while I could.
A lot of the small places just get local business--so many of the small towns have been bypassed by 4 lanes and the McDonald's out on the interstate is just too easy and convenient for most people to stop and get their Egg McMuffins that they don't get off the superslab and explore and try to look for a good place to eat. If you can find the place in a small Texas town where all the old ranchers meet in the mornings to drink coffee and talk, you'll usually find a good breakfast.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Thanks Top! I’ll be sure to stop there...when we go.

·
Bronze member
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

There are still independent businesses on Route 66 (Delgadillo's Snow Cap Drive-In in Seligman comes to mind). They are dwindling in number, however, just as you say. These are the places I look for in my travels.

That said...a warning: DO NOT EAT AT THE "BAGDAD CAFE" (no matter how cute the movie was). Buy the T-Shirt and LEAVE.

1 - 20 of 111 Posts