Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Morn all
I just sent an email "hopefully not deleted yet" to Scott Wine ceo Polaris industries. Without going into detail here, I described some of our frustrations and mostly hit on the need for open honest communication. Most likely won't do any good, but I feel better. If anyone else needs therapy here's the address, please keep it civil , that's our best chance of it being read, much less taken seriously.

At the request of Quinn , who if anyone hasn't read through this thread has established dialogue between himself and Polaris ceo Scott Wine, at this point it may not be best to flood Scott with e mails. We all have plenty to say ,but at this point it may be best to hold off and give Scott the chance to follow through on his answers to the emails. Don't know if I should remove the email address or not, would appreciate input on that. A lot of progress may have been made today in my opinion anyway and I feel we should give Scott Wine a lot of credit for his response. When have you ever heard a ceo of a major corporation responding at all, much less that quickly. In his interview on television today he hit on several issues that have been so frustrating for so many. My vote is to give him a chance and not overwhelm him . Hopefully we will see positive results. Just my take on it , feel free to tell me I'm full of s###.

[email protected]

·
Super Moderator
5,860 Posts
Morn all
I just sent an email "hopefully not deleted yet" to Scott Wine ceo Polaris industries. Without going into detail here, I described some of our frustrations and mostly hit on the need for open honest communication. Most likely won't do any good, but I feel better. If anyone else needs therapy here's the address, please keep it civil , that's our best chance of it being read, much less taken seriously.

[email protected]
Excellent. IF everyone on here took your suggestion of civility seriously, I think the flood of emails might get his attention.

·
Super Moderator
5,860 Posts
Thought about this some more and sent him an email also, to wit:

"Mr. Wine,

I am in the process of purchasing a 2015 Indian Vintage motorcycle, for a March delivery. In preparation I have been researching and commenting on various Indian Motorcycle forums (see list below).

I am concerned. Indian makes an excellent and far superior motorcycle. However I have read some horror stories about deliveries, accessories, etc. I have also read about a few quality problems which were usually corrected in prompt fashion. Yet, it does appear that Polaris/Indian is not doing enough to communicate with your customer base, or dealers.

The owners of the new Indians are raving about what a great product it is. We are ALL rooting for the resurrection of Indian and truly wish you great success. However, that act of championing Indian becomes a hard task when inquiries go unanswered, deliveries late, etc. What would calm the masses and yield you huge goodwill would be for Indian to reach out to these folks and tell us the truth. News, even if bad, goes a long way toward goodwill. If you're overwhelmed by demand, tell us. If you're having contractor issues, let us know. If you made a mistake, tell us, maybe we can help. We're adults and can handle the truth.

When I accept delivery, I'll ride with pride and want to espouse what a terrific job Polaris is doing in customer service/satisfaction. So PLEASE, step up the communication, news, and discourse with your customer base. Have someone, or preferably yourself, browse the forums, read what is being discussed and resolve the issues."

Forums:
Indian Motorcycle Forum
Chief Motorcycle Forum - Indian Motorcycles
Indian Motorcycle Community

·
Banned
7,192 Posts
At the small outfit I work at, 115 employees. Our "CEO" said he gets about 120 e-mails a day from customers.. Complaining about on-time delivery and quality.

We are about 6000 man hours behind schedule.
This has been going on for as long as I've worked there.. (2 years).

We just bought 2 more mills (500,000 bucks) we have 3 shifts and open 7 days aweek. And hiring new employees.
And business is growing..

The pressure is on all of us everyday.
And it's about our company promising to deliver more then we can make for the sake of company growth.

I guarantee you guys that the communication within the company is not as polite and elegant as Doc Quinn's letter.
A lot of ass ripping goes on. Daily!!

My only point here is that until the company starts to actually loose business, I don't think anything will change.. I'm sure I can be wrong, but I've seen this dynamic a lot during my 35 year career.

When our economy was still booming.. And HD couldn't meet demand, we saw HD clone company's pop up everywhere.. And since the bust.. Most of them are belly up.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Agreed.

I'm sure they have already lost plenty of business, but the demand for their product is so high right now, they haven't noticed the loss.

Maybe with the right combination of elegant ass rippage they will straighten up. :)

·
Banned
7,192 Posts
Agreed.

I'm sure they have already lost plenty of business, but the demand for their product is so high right now, they haven't noticed the loss.

Maybe with the right combination of elegant ass rippage they will straighten up. :)
I really hope so for the sake of everyone's Dreams and dollars.

P.S..

Even though I'm not a big purchase customer..,
I still buy t-shirts and doodads.

I'm going to write him just because I've got his e-mail..

And I'm going to talk to him like he talks to his direct reports...

I'm the customer, the reason he gets paid! o_O

He puts his pants on like the rest of us.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

"Mr. Wine,

I am in the process of purchasing a 2015 Indian Vintage motorcycle, for a March delivery. In preparation I have been researching and commenting on various Indian Motorcycle forums (see list below).

I am concerned. Indian makes an excellent and far superior motorcycle. However I have read some horror stories about deliveries, accessories, etc. I have also read about a few quality problems which were usually corrected in prompt fashion. Yet, it does appear that Polaris/Indian is not doing enough to communicate with your customer base, or dealers.

The owners of the new Indians are raving about what a great product it is. We are ALL rooting for the resurrection of Indian and truly wish you great success. However, that act of championing Indian becomes a hard task when inquiries go unanswered, deliveries late, etc. What would calm the masses and yield you huge goodwill would be for Indian to reach out to these folks and tell us the truth. News, even if bad, goes a long way toward goodwill. If you're overwhelmed by demand, tell us. If you're having contractor issues, let us know. If you made a mistake, tell us, maybe we can help. We're adults and can handle the truth.

When I accept delivery, I'll ride with pride and want to espouse what a terrific job Polaris is doing in customer service/satisfaction. So PLEASE, step up the communication, news, and discourse with your customer base. Have someone, or preferably yourself, browse the forums, read what is being discussed and resolve the issues."

Forums:
Indian Motorcycle Forum

"Mr. Wine,

Forums:
Indian Motorcycle Forum
Thanks Quinn
I know how tempting the rip and tear attitude is, and I also know having owned a small business what position screaming and yelling got people on my list of work. The time may come for that ( hope not ) but I personally don't think that's what is needed "yet" . You hit the nail on the head with your e mail, I hope it's taken seriously. We may have to storm the castle, but right now I feel letters such as yours will have a better chance of being taken seriously and actually read. Thank you sir.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Quinn i believe your message was straight forward and true. Lets hope you receive an honest reply. Thanks for stepping up to the plate. Im sure there are many who share the same view , however reluctant to send a message.
Keep us informed if you hear anything.

·
Banned
7,192 Posts
I agree.. .... Dr. Quinn is taking the high road!

I think maybe there are also other e-mail addresses that could be useful (departments of customer relations) as such..

He would be number one.. I imagine he has a executive secretary the reads/screens his e-mails.

When urging a congress member for right action, he goes by numbers of
People requesting the same action.
For every one person that mails or calls him he figures the are a 1000 people of the same opinion.

And I think it was BigDaddy that said,
Corporate change is like trying to turn around a huge cruise liner.

It sure wont hurt to try and all cast their votes.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Having experience with large corporate culture and how the executive suites usually work (including board of directors and their committees), I have found that CEO's (CFO's and COO's, too) have staff that filters their emails (and USPS mail) by reading them first and then passing along those from business associates, regulators, lawyers, etc. It would not be unusual to have the staff doing the filtering complete a daily tally and rank for importance any "customer" mail (I include snail mail here)...all before the CEO sees any mail. There are only so many hours in the day, and so much mail to clear, that CEO's just don't have the time to look at it all. So, when you write your emails, remember that Scott Wine may not be the first one to review it...I agree with others here...keep it professional, short, state what you hope to see done and stay on-point.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Husky , I completely agree that B.D. is right about turning around a big corporation, but unless the wheel gets turned even a little bit the direction stays the same, in this case it looks to be slightly off course. If one properly worded email was to actually get serious consideration maybe that " wheel could get nudged a bit

·
Registered
232 Posts
I guess I've been extremely lucky in that I haven't had any issues to complain about. I've been able to purchase every single Indian accessory right off the shelf; air cleaner, fringe, driver's backrest, passenger back pad, floorboard inserts, heel shifter, bike cover, and a whole lot more...and did I mention fringe? It also already had the Stage 1 on it when I bought it, but was able to buy the first set of CFRs from my dealer. The only thing I've had to wait on was a mechanic's shirt...and who the hell waits on one of those, lol! Even my warranty claim to switch out my Indian bluetooth speakers took just about three weeks from initiation to completion. However, when I see Indian recognize owners with free belt buckles, clocks, gremlin bells, $200 coupons for the Scout wait, I have to think, I do see a company fairly responsive to owners. Even the distressed leather debacle, though unfortunate, they have put at least two solutions out there...the leather care kit (yeah right!), and the offer to exchange for black leather. I've seen them warranty white wall tires that were browning...and that certainly was the tire manufactuer's issue. I'm sorry some people are getting the shaft and/or are feeling like they're getting the shaft, but they seem to be doing a lot, if not everything, to take care of their customers. Again though, I could just be the lucky one.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
I guess I've been extremely lucky in that I haven't had any issues to complain about. I've been able to purchase every single Indian accessory right off the shelf; air cleaner, fringe, driver's backrest, passenger back pad, floorboard inserts, heel shifter, bike cover, and a whole lot more...and did I mention fringe? It also already had the Stage 1 on it when I bought it, but was able to buy the first set of CFRs from my dealer. The only thing I've had to wait on was a mechanic's shirt...and who the hell waits on one of those, lol! Even my warranty claim to switch out my Indian bluetooth speakers took just about three weeks from initiation to completion. However, when I see Indian recognize owners with free belt buckles, clocks, gremlin bells, $200 coupons for the Scout wait, I have to think, I do see a company fairly responsive to owners. Even the distressed leather debacle, though unfortunate, they have put at least two solutions out there...the leather care kit (yeah right!), and the offer to exchange for black leather. I've seen them warranty white wall tires that were browning...and that certainly was the tire manufactuer's issue. I'm sorry some people are getting the shaft and/or are feeling like they're getting the shaft, but they seem to be doing a lot, if not everything, to take care of their customers. Again though, I could just be the lucky one.
...That's a great experience. Sounds like you have a well stocked and customer focused dealer. Yep...I would say you are one of the lucky ones. So, I take it you won't be sending an email to Scott Wine?

·
Registered
232 Posts
...That's a great experience. Sounds like you have a well stocked and customer focused dealer. Yep...I would say you are one of the lucky ones. So, I take it you won't be sending an email to Scott Wine?
Probably not at the moment. But, if my days keep getting ruined by me constantly being stopped by people admiring the bike and asking questions and taking pictures...well, then I just might have to send him a very strongly worded letter ;-)

·
Original member / Distinguished
5,817 Posts
I emailed polaris once... Won't waste my time again. Some of them people got really big heads.
I've never seen email work. If you write it then print it out and mail those very words you'll have more lucky I've found. It's like if you take the time it forces them to take the time to respond. Email they just ignore. Now I know, some of you may have had better luck. I'm just saying that that is rare. But writing a letter and mailing snail mail does work. I guess it goes to a different department or most companies just aren't up to speed with internet processes.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've never seen email work. If you write it then print it out and mail those very words you'll have more lucky I've found. It's like if you take the time it forces them to take the time to respond. Email they just ignore. Now I know, some of you may have had better luck. I'm just saying that that is rare. But writing a letter and mailing snail mail does work. I guess it goes to a different department or most companies just aren't up to speed with internet processes.
Worth a try I suppose, compared to others on this forum my issues are relatively small, my reasons for some sort of dialogue ( not canned ) is that I want Indian to stay in production this time. My personal opinion is that this is probably Indians last shot at resurrection, communication between them and us is vital, if need be I will see if I can still write a letter. Failing all that I guess we all could put on the war paint and head in mass to Spirit Lake, don't know what we would do when we got there , but what a statement that would make.

·
Super Moderator
4,887 Posts
Worth a try I suppose, compared to others on this forum my issues are relatively small, my reasons for some sort of dialogue ( not canned ) is that I want Indian to stay in production this time. My personal opinion is that this is probably Indians last shot at resurrection, communication between them and us is vital, if need be I will see if I can still write a letter. Failing all that I guess we all could put on the war paint and head in mass to Spirit Lake, don't know what we would do when we got there , but what a statement that would make.
Stoppage in production, the line workers would come outside to see all the bikes and what we've done to them. I think the "in mass" would have to head to Medina, MN.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
A lot of truth in this post...my experience in the corporate world supports the thought that snail mail is given more weight than email. Maybe the corporate attorneys have something to do with that...in any case, USPS will be delivered to the mailroom where it is sorted and date/time stamped (this is important to the corporate attorneys and regulators). Now the mail is "real" and has an audit trail, so it is harder for the CEO (and other exec's) to ignore. Paper documents have a higher standing than email which may not be legitimate, whereas paper mail is presumed to have a signature of the person writing the letter.

Regardless, it is up to each to decide how to proceed, but at least you know which form of communication stands a better chance of being seen by the guy you are addressing.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Yea I suppose you are right about that, the raid sounds kinda fun though. I guess I will try and find an address that has a chance of reaching the CEO..

1 - 20 of 124 Posts