Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 Chief Classic with 2350 miles. This year it has gone through 3 batteries and a voltage regulator. All have been covered under warranty but it has left me wondering if I should trade it for another brand before the warranty ends next June. Who else has had these issues?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Use a Multi-Meter and check for shorts from the voltage regulator/connector to the frame of the bike. I had a 2000 HD that the dealer installed an HD oil cooler before delivery and they put a tie-wrap around the oil line to the frame pinching one of the voltage regulator wires to the frame. Over time the insulation wore down and I went through several batteries and Voltage regulators overtime (yes they kept tie-wrapping and pinching the wire). I caught this while trouble shooting a possible short after the extended warranty was expired. I repaired the wire alls good and don't need a 3rd or 4th VREG.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. I will check to see if that is the issue. The dealer said the problem was intermittent and that is why they didn't correctly diagnose the problem the first time.
By the way, do you prefer Indian to Harley?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Thank you. I will check to see if that is the issue. The dealer said the problem was intermittent and that is why they didn't correctly diagnose the problem the first time.
By the way, do you prefer Indian to Harley?
I prefer Indian 100:1 :D
I had two Road Kings and they were both POS 00/08. To many issues to list. So far on my Roadmaster, I have had two recalls that most TS111 have had and the busings for the upper tour pack. I have about 17k and she will be two years old this year, the day after Black Friday. I honestly feel the biggest issue is after-market parts. It's getting better in the last few years. Hopefully it continues.

·
Super Moderator
4,965 Posts
I have a 2016 Chief Classic with 2350 miles. This year it has gone through 3 batteries and a voltage regulator. All have been covered under warranty but it has left me wondering if I should trade it for another brand before the warranty ends next June. Who else has had these issues?
I bought one of the "First 1901" edition Chiefs in 2014. Never had a battery problem nor a voltage regulator problem in the past 3 years. I have read of numerous VR failures though.

·
Silver member
4,714 Posts
Were the three batteries before or after the Voltage Regulator was replaced?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts