Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Founding member / distinguished
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have my Zumo 660 from my Harley to mount on my Chieftain. I have temporarily mounted and powered it for one trip and that let me know where I need it for the future.
I got some RAM mounts and have the location perfect. I want to hard wire the mount and leave it on the bike (the unit is powered by the base mount).
I looked around the fairing and would love to just tap into the accessory plug wiring. I am having some difficulty getting to everything behind the fairing. I noticed that at least part of the dash appears to be hinged and has springs to keep it up, but can't see how to get it to release. Maybe there are screws behind the buttons under the fog light switch and accessory plug?
I'll post a pic of how it mounts and the parts you need if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi, I also have a Chieftain, I mounted mine straight in front of the power socket, I tried to find a power feed in the fairing but gave up and hard wired it straight to the battery ( with a fuse of course !) It works fine and as I remove it when the bike is parked I don't worry about leaving it switched on and it draining the battery.

·
Founding member / distinguished
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi, I also have a Chieftain, I mounted mine straight in front of the power socket, I tried to find a power feed in the fairing but gave up and hard wired it straight to the battery ( with a fuse of course !) It works fine and as I remove it when the bike is parked I don't worry about leaving it switched on and it draining the battery.
I'm exploring that option now. Did you simply snake the wires under the tank and use terminal lugs on the battery connections?

·
Registered
97 Posts
This is the best way to wire it so it does not suck the battery down with the bike off.

• Rowe Electronics PDM60 Power Distribution Module

·
Registered
97 Posts
I mounted the PDM60 right under the seat. its tiny so I mounted it right nextto the top of the battery on the right where the big space is with Velcro. Thenthe wires are the right length to go straight to battery. As for tapping, Iused Positap that came with the kit. I already had run one wire from the autostore under the gas tank up inside the front faring. On the Chieftain if you goto the front where it looks like a train, there are only a few screws holdingthe plastic front piece on, and if you take those off the front you have accessdirectly to the wiring. The Positap needs to plug into a trigger; all thatmeans is that anything that comes on with the bike. For some strange reason, hecigarette lighter stays on all the time, which really to me does not makesense. So the Aux Lights on the Chieftain made since because I can push thebutton and turn off the aux lights and it will turn off all Accessories aswell. Because on one of the lines I also installed Fog Lights on the separatewire, along with the Garmin. I have been happy, because I usually leave the Auxlights on all the time so I hope a driver can see me.

So if you usethe AUX lights, they only come on if the engine is started, and the preprogrammed7 seconds later the lights and the Garmin power on.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I found some youtube videos on the PDM60 that it explain its function better than the website. I love gadgets and my heated suit definately something to consider. My bike has been in the shop for two weeks now sorting out my electrical woes I get it back this week about time

1 - 11 of 11 Posts