Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a new battery in my 2017 Springfield. Started up fine but on the test ride all the gauges went on and off, gear numbers were wrong. When I returned home and shut it down, the system wouldn’t start back up. Thoughts?

·
Rider
682 Posts
Did you change your battery because your original was totally dead? when you turn on your bike, can you toggle through your display until you see battery voltage, or is your system voltage now too weak to even do that? Do you have a voltmeter? If so, check your battery voltage at the posts. Double check your connections are OK. If your connections are good, and now your battery voltage is low, you probably have a bad voltage regulator.

Your bike will need around 11V before your display will start working properly, and about a minimum of 11.8V+ for your bike to turn over. If you battery voltage is low, and after charging you can start your bike back up, look at the displays voltmeter, it should read 14.5 +/- .3 V when the bike is running and charging. If your voltage doesn't change when the bike is running, chances are your regulator is bad.

·
Bronze member
2,987 Posts
A fully charged battery will read,12.6 volts!! [2.1 volts per cell X 6 cells = 12.6 volts when fully charged!!]

But to prove or disprove whether the battery is good or not, ya have to load test it to see if those numbers will hold or atleast return to normal after the load test has been done.

·
Founding member
2,172 Posts
Hopefully you took care not to touch the VCM (box on top of the battery) and connections to any metallic objects ... if it is shorted, you can easily damage the VCM. Not a cheap fix if it is faulty.
(Edit: Just realized original post was @DrShoe13 first post and about a month ago ... hopefully he is back on the road by now)

·
Rider
879 Posts
Both ends of both cables Must make secure Connection...
But, we knew that...
"New" don't mean anything compared to "Tested"

·
Bronze member
2,165 Posts
Don't forget to check that frame ground cable connection too as that has been a common problem on these machines.
I agree, was about to type that as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hopefully you took care not to touch the VCM (box on top of the battery) and connections to any metallic objects ... if it is shorted, you can easily damage the VCM. Not a cheap fix if it is faulty.
(Edit: Just realized original post was @DrShoe13 first post and about a month ago ... hopefully he is back on the road by now)
Yes, all good and I did short out the VCM so I paid the price!

·
Bronze member
2,987 Posts
I'm curious!! So if ya don't mind me asking: Just what did they soak ya for the VCM??? Thank you! Dave!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts