Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Indian FTR 1200 S
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is probably a topic for a general board, but I have an FTR so I'll post it here.

I've never bought a tune for an EFI bike before. I would have imagined, or so the retailers make it seem, it was as simple as buying the tuner (PV3 in this instance), "plugging it in" per say, follow the instructions and I'm good to go. However on various threads I'm seeing on these boards, I hear people talking about receiving new updates from so-and-so, or working with so-and-so to modify the tune or flash different tunes.

So is it as simple as I imagined? Or after I buy the PV3 from say revzilla or fuelmoto directly, am I put in contact with so-and-so to adjust my specific tune? Or when I buy it off the web, am I just buying the "basic" tune and I could then work with someone to customize it for additional costs?

Sorry if its a dumb question. Never really looked into tuners before but it will be an upgrade I would want to do eventually on my FTR. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Get the PV3 from Fuelmoto as that way you get both their tunes and Craig B's help if needed.Very simple process to follow and printed instructions come with tuner.

·
Registered
2019 Indian FTR 1200 S
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So what you guys are saying is, depending on where/who I buy the PV3 from, that's who's tune I actually get? It's not the same tune if I buy it from revzilla vs fuelmoto vs lloydzgarage?

·
Registered
17 Posts
So what you guys are saying is, depending on where/who I buy the PV3 from, that's who's tune I actually get? It's not the same tune if I buy it from revzilla vs fuelmoto vs lloydzgarage?
Great question!! I’ve been wondering the same thing.

·
Silver member
5,443 Posts
If you buy from Revzilla you get a tune from Dynojet I guess, and I wonder if they have one already for the newer Indian FTR ecu software. Not the most sophisticated tunes and limited choice if you have a different exhaust from what I hear.

I you buy at Lloydz garage you buy two products:
1. the PV-3, the actual device.
2. continuous map support. If you buy a new exhaust for instance, you can ask for a new tune for your new config. And tunes are developed/improved “continuously“. Most of their FTR customers are on version 5 at the moment, and every release is better than the previous one. Cold starting, idling, throttle control, no surging anymore, etc.
Lloyds is releasing the first beta tunes for the newer Indian FTR ecu firmware at the moment.

I don’t know how many releases FM has, but their support seems much better than Dynojet. Their communication appears to be very good as well.

·
Rider
620 Posts
If you buy it from fuel moto, you'll get free tunes most likely from Jaimie IIRC. Used to build dragster bikes, knows his shit. FuelMoto is probably the only one that you're going to get first hand support from. Order from anyone else and you'll only get the device and then you're on your own to browse the dynojet site to find something that MIGHT match what you have or have CraigB help you out (he's our forum bad ass).

Revzilla, Lloydz and anyone else you're only getting the device. None of them are going to assist you in making tunes for you. FM does.

With FuelMoto you'll be getting life support that you have it. You change anything on your bike from now, till years down the road, they'll give you a new tune. There's really no reason to buy from anyone else unless it's simply a case of "they can't ship to you" if you're from some garbage neckbeard state like California.

Keep in mind that not only are these expensive, but they marry to your bike. You need to make damn sure you're set on keeping that bike because it's 200 dollars to reset the device so you can pair it to a new one. You can't take it from bike to bike at will. You put it to your bike, it stays with your bike until you buy the 200 dollar unlock code. I know a lot of people are getting fed up with the FTR so this is why I'm saying make sure you're set on keeping it.

These things ease level is you honestly can't make it anymore dumb proof than they have. You'll plug in the device. You'll follow the steps to read the ECU, it's literally just going down the options you have to the read portion. That writes a file to the device. From there, it's literally just a USB storage device. You plug it into your computer like a usb device, pull the read file off and send it to jamie for review and he sends you a modified file. You load that onto the device just like a usb storage device. You plug it into your bike and write the software to it following the directions.

People talk about updates as Indian may send out new updates to their stock file. You take it to the dealer to have them update it, due to the issues it's having. Otherwise, it's just people updating the file with the dynojet with updated files they may have asked Jamie for or Craig. Like something may be slightly off and they'll ask for an adjustment. I know there's people here who asked Jamie from FM to make the bike start easier for cold weather by modifying spark timings. There's people on here who asked him to modify the idling to make the bike lobe as if they had aggressive cams installed. etc etc etc

but again, to simplify this. Buy the device from FuelMoto. They'll do free tunes for you if you buy it from them. If you buy from someone else, you're on your own on finding tunes via Dyno's website, paying FuelMoto to do a tune for you, or asking Craig (badass) to help you.

[edit] just learned Lloydz does mappings too. Very neato

·
Registered
2019 Indian FTR 1200 S
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I see... all interesting info that's not necessarily advertised on the websites. I thought it was just a one and done purchase and the PV3 was just the PV3 and then it was "jail broken" in non technical terms by different 3rd party companies. I would assume the question from here is, who is the best to buy it from, but I guess that would open up a debate for another time... 🤣🤣

·
Registered
738 Posts
Revzilla, Lloydz and anyone else you're only getting the device. None of them are going to assist you in making tunes for you. FM does.
Actually though Lloydz you get the device and map, and lifetime map support. No matter what exhaust you wack on your bike they will work through it with you to get the tune right.
i live in Aus and have had a couple of tunes from Lloydz already.

FM also offer amazing support, both FM and Lloydz are the best options.

·
Rider
620 Posts
Lloydz too 😉 and they ship to California...
Wasn't aware he was also sending people tunes with it. He doesn't advertise as such. Good to know at least, he's done a lot for us for our bikes with custom parts. Most excellent!

I see... all interesting info that's not necessarily advertised on the websites. I thought it was just a one and done purchase and the PV3 was just the PV3 and then it was "jail broken" in non technical terms by different 3rd party companies. I would assume the question from here is, who is the best to buy it from, but I guess that would open up a debate for another time... 🤣🤣
You could start a thread and I'm willing to bet, over 90% of the replies are going to be from happy FuelMoto customers. They're amazing people and you really can't beat their service

·
Silver member
5,443 Posts
Wasn't aware he was also sending people tunes with it. He doesn't advertise as such. Good to know at least, he's done a lot for us for our bikes with custom parts. Most excellent
They don’t advertise here but are well known for their excellent maps and product support on the FTR facebook groups. Ryan is a regular there.

·
Bronze member
2,189 Posts
Most people don’t touch forums with a ten foot pole ether.

Op it literally is that easy, buy from lloydz garage or fm directly with one of their tunes.

Here is how you hook it to the bike.

If you look at my other vids you can see how smooth his cold start tunes are even when it’s almost freezing out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Rider
1,271 Posts
Here are some questions for the aftermarket tuning folks, understanding I am part of the "loyal opposition" and have remained with the OEM updated mapping: how many have updated the mapping and then kept that version, as opposed to installing a series of updated maps, a la @Max Kool ? (he's on version 5, as I recall.) If on the same aftermarket mapping, how many miles/hours do you have on it? If you have done a series of mappings, how many miles/hours did you have on the mapping before going to the next version?

And for those who had a tune go "bad" after it was working well, did you ever reinstall that same tune or check that file against the original, to see if it got corrupted?

This is why I ask: it appears that some people, notably @Hatt , have updated and it seems to run well. Then, after some miles are put in, the bike begins to run not-so-well. Then a new tune is brought in, with similar results. I wonder if the ECM is somehow trying to override the new tune and thus creating a problem.

When I bought the beast I was told the ECM has the ability to learn driving habits (I guess SkyNet did not set the switch to "read only" when they sent these terminators out...) And if so could the ECM being trying to "fix" the new mapping file?

·
Silver member
5,443 Posts
A tune doesn’t go bad.

ECU’s have very limited learning capabilities, they do not adjust to your driving style. All they may do is keep a correction table for certain sensors.

I was happy with version 3 albeit a little nervous, version 4 was better at midrange, but less good on cold starts. I actually switched back and forth between the two a few times to feel the difference. The difference was immediate and did not change over time

V5 was for me the mix between 3 and 4, with an added slighly higher cold idle rpm.

they don’t go bad over time (like milk does).

·
Registered
738 Posts
I had the OEM tune for 800kms then installed the Ryan tune.The first tune I was sent was 'Aussie Sauce V4'. No I did not get 4 other versions, I got sent V4 as my first version.
Ryan asked me to run it for a while and let him know how it was.
I ran it for about 500kms and told him I was still getting the occasional cold start but it was heaps better.
he sent me V5 which had a slightly higher idle.
I've now been running V5 for 500kms and am very happy with it and it hasn't changed since it was installed.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
I got a surprise when I went to the Fuel Moto website and it says they will not ship the tuner to California. Must be a new requirement they just implemented.

·
Bronze member
2,189 Posts
I had 700 miles on my oem tune and I had enough.

I’m on #5 tune. I run them for a while, switch exhausts, then get a different tune, each one is better than the last. I’ve never gone back to a previous tune. And I have a little over 5k on my bike

I’ve also never seen one person say they regret getting a tune and go back to oem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 FTR1200S Race Replica
32 Posts
I ordered my exhaust and tuner direct from Toce Performance. Ryan's Secret Sauce tune for the Low Mount Exhaust was preloaded into the PV3. I installed it all during my 500 mile break in service on 4-25-20. I have since clocked 2,000 miles exactly. I am happy to report zero issues and not even a single cold start problem. I have flogged the living daylights out of it the last 2,000 miles riding with a local sport bike group. I am beyond pleased with Toce and the Tuners from Lloyd's Garage. This picture was taken yesterday from our Taco Tuesday Run!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts