Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I'd be grateful for any advice please. I was due to pick up my new 2014 Chieftain today from the dealer. I ordered it a month ago and they were fitting rear bars, heated grips and heated seat. Today I got a call to say that they had inadvertently "shorted the ECU" during the process. So, we're now waiting on the new ECU coming from somewhere in Europe and I'll maybe have another week or so before delivery, no big issue as we have too much snow at the moment.
My concern is that there may be other damage lurking in the bike due to the "short", maybe a damaged resistor or something that may not manifest itself for a while ! Am I thinking too deeply about this or is this something to worry about.
I'd appreciate your thoughts on the technical issue and maybe comments on how I might best protect myself with the dealer, they seem to be good honest lads but I want to avoid problems down the line.
thanks and ride safe
JH

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,049 Posts
Howdy JH,
If you do a little searching on the site you will find a thread (with photos) concerning how easy it is to short-out the Chief's ECU, which is mounted on top of the battery. The 2015 Chiefs now have an insulator covering the positive terminal to reduce the chance of this happening. Be glad it was the dealer's fault since these run around $600 to replace.
--- Randall

·
Registered
85 Posts
Howdy JH,
If you do a little searching on the site you will find a thread (with photos) concerning how easy it is to short-out the Chief's ECU, which is mounted on top of the battery. The 2015 Chiefs now have an insulator covering the positive terminal to reduce the chance of this happening. Be glad it was the dealer's fault since these run around $600 to replace.
--- Randall
Randall, good information and I noticed that when I was dying the seat.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hi,
I'd be grateful for any advice please. I was due to pick up my new 2014 Chieftain today from the dealer. I ordered it a month ago and they were fitting rear bars, heated grips and heated seat. Today I got a call to say that they had inadvertently "shorted the ECU" during the process. So, we're now waiting on the new ECU coming from somewhere in Europe and I'll maybe have another week or so before delivery, no big issue as we have too much snow at the moment.
My concern is that there may be other damage lurking in the bike due to the "short", maybe a damaged resistor or something that may not manifest itself for a while ! Am I thinking too deeply about this or is this something to worry about.
I'd appreciate your thoughts on the technical issue and maybe comments on how I might best protect myself with the dealer, they seem to be good honest lads but I want to avoid problems down the line.
thanks and ride safe
JH
I shorted out my ECU last fall, and it did cost a lot to get it replaced, but I have put 13,000 miles on my Chieftain since then , and no problems at all.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Check out
It's a short how-to put out by the mothership on replacing the battery and not shorting your ECU. Good info in its own right and has been posted here before, but it tells me that this has occurred more than just rarely. They were quite specific in the You-Tube vid - not a warrantable item. And I'll have to agree with Randall, good thing it's on their dime and not yours. Expensive lesson for them. Cheap one for you.

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
I have not taken off my seat on my 2015 Chieftain to see if it now has an insulator covering the positive terminal to reduce the chance of this happening.

Sure hope it has the insulator on the positive terminal, this may help, BUT suggest we all still be very very careful when working there on our Indians or, POW, it is gone and so is a lot of money out of our pocket books.

:(

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'm not entirely certain that the new insulator is the panacea one might think. I had mine off a couple weeks ago doing some electrics and, as I recall, it was nearly impossible to contort that plastic tray with the ECU enough for it to contact the + terminal, but you would have to presumably remove the insulator to service the terminal and it is the wrench swing that will do you in at that point, no differently than the models without the insulator. Thus, Roadie is right, due caution at all times with that little expensive gem. I'm, no electronics geek but I'm sure the ECU has its own ground paths and having the ground strap off the batt will not protect you. I don't know that you'd get a nice, satisfying, Roadiesque pow, but you would get a bill for your trouble and maybe more importantly, some considerable down time waiting interminably for the part to wend its way though a very sluggish support system.

·
Super Moderator
5,868 Posts
Seems to me if one placed a rubber kitchen sink glove over the VCM when removed, one might lessen the opportunity to short it. Make sense to anyone? Just asking.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Absolutely, but the nice thing is that as you lift it up, the connections on the forward end make it flip over so you can just run a bungee up to the handlebars and only the underside of the plastic tray is exposed. I threw a shop towel over that for good measure. Just mind your wrench swing most of all and you'll be golden.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi,
thanks and ride safe
JH
You think they would pull one out of another bike on the showroom floor and reprogram the VIN. Then install the one they ordered into the doner bike. Problem solved, customer happy!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Silly boy. That's a potential sale. The OP is already figuratively on the hook, but is literally going nowhere. A buyer walks in in the next six or so weeks while the part is God-knows-where and that floor bike is OTD and the dough, just like the OP's, is ITB (in the bank).

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You think they would pull one out of another bike on the showroom floor and reprogram the VIN. Then install the one they ordered into the doner bike. Problem solved, customer happy!
Hicap, is this "do-able"?? They told me they used an ECU from another bike (not chieftain) to fire the bike up but that they couldn't run the chieftain on that unit due to incompatibility. I think part of the problem is a lack of knowledge at the dealership who are just new to Indian & Victory range .....and they are the only dealer in Scotland! If I thought they could re-program an alternative ECU I might prefer this rather than a lengthy wait for new unit from Europe or USA.
thanks to all for the comments, much appreciated.
JH

·
Registered
152 Posts
What if you insulated the wrench or ratchet. This would prevent a short or current flow? A good dose of black electrician tape or a rubber coating.

·
Registered
24 Posts
As far as the doner bike, put it in the warehouse till the ECU gets installed, problem solved. I have been wrenching on electronic engines for some time, if the VIN is hard burned into the ecm it wouldnt be possible, but a good dealer should be able to re program an ecu. It might have to be reflashed to do it but it is possible.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys, I read about your chief's ECU got burned and I might be buying another chief's ECU to standby in case it short-out!! The chief's ECU supposed to be plug and play if the existing one is burned, am i right?

As for the part # for 2014 Chief Vintage's ECU is 4014110 but it has been outdated and the part # has been changed to part # 4015234!

Appreciate if you guys could advise me? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
638 Posts
Should be an easy fix on their side and hopefully they get the same training as over here for Indian service. Snowing in Scotland? We had about 130 inches last winter and hope it stays over there! Congratulations on your ride. Your going to like it but stay away from the snow!

·
Rider
878 Posts
What if you insulated the wrench or ratchet. This would prevent a short or current flow? A good dose of black electrician tape or a rubber coating.
I bound the exposed metal of the shaft of my ratchet with self-amalgamating tape after seeing the warning in the manual about shorting the battery to the ECM.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts