Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I took to my 17 RM for a little ride Sunday. Middle thirties but sunny, it got up to about 40 degrees. On the way up to visit the grand kids I got her up to a around 110 mph a couple of times. No traffic on freeway. At around 100 it seemed to hesitate then smooth out. On the way home, riding about 70 mph it stalls. I started right up with out stopping, a little ways down the road she sputters, doesn't stall. Then I loose my acceleration. I could get it up to 45 mph. Now, there is major road work so there is no where to pull over so I stay to the right, put the flashers on, and continue for quite a while till I hit an exit. I notice as I pull off it isn't loosing any more power and if I shift up to 4 it will hold at 45 mph. It was cold, it was a long day, so I decide to ride home on the road, about an hour, at 45 mph. I get home. Shut her down. Let it sit for about 10 min., and started it up. She seem to run good, but I am a little scared. I did have her die on me last year because of throttle body failure which seem to act similar to this. The power command stated it was a ECU Failure or fault. Anyone have a similar indecent happen to them?

·
Senior member / gold
6,951 Posts
You might want to access the fuse block. Pull the 2 tall fuses, wait about 10 minutes, and then plug them back in. That should reset your ECU.
Also, make sure your battery cables are tight on the battery. Take care not to touch the wrench/or screwdriver against the computer box while tightening the positive side. That would be a very expensive mistake, as you would fry it.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
The RM is finicky when it comes to the battery cables. If the are loose, it will cause the VCU and ECU to start acting strange which will affect how the bike runs. I added a couple of star washers to my battery bolts to help hold them in place.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The RM is finicky when it comes to the battery cables. If the are loose, it will cause the VCU and ECU to start acting strange which will affect how the bike runs. I added a couple of star washers to my battery bolts to help hold them in place.
The Dealer seems to think it is a bad Power Command. They removed it and said the bike has not tripped any faults. It is not running as it was when it was tuned with the Power Command. The Problem is the company the Power Command was purchased from, in CA, is not open and not responding. They told me I could come pick it up and ride it till they get in touch with them in CA

1 - 4 of 4 Posts