Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Rider
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my Chieftain, #610, for a 10K service at the Reno dealer that was to include the ECM software update. I asked for the BTO removal and the ability to use the factory LED Pathfinder fog lamps I recently installed. I was supposed to pick the bike up and trailer it back to the SF bay area this afternoon but somehow the radio on my bike died after the re-flash. The owner of the shop has Indian #656 and he offered to let me take his stereo but that stereo would not work either. The service rep said they had only re-flashed one other 2014 Indian with no problems but it was not one of the earlier numbered bikes. Bottom line is now I'm returning the U HAUL motorcycle hauling trailer empty. Dealer said they're gonna have to wait till next week to contact Polaris for guidance and then I'll have to come back to get my ride once it gets squared away. I cannot begin to express in words how passed off I am.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I feel for you. I can't believe how much I am reading of similar situations where owners are expending time and dollars to have warranty work done because dealers are so few and far between. Indian should be somehow reimbursing owners for this expense ESPECIALLY when the dealers can't get the warranty fix right. Indian / Polaris needs to step up to the plate somehow on these issues.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I feel for you. I can't believe how much I am reading of similar situations where owners are expending time and dollars to have warranty work done because dealers are so few and far between. Indian should be somehow reimbursing owners for this expense ESPECIALLY when the dealers can't get the warranty fix right. Indian / Polaris needs to step up to the plate somehow on these issues.
What is going to be like when there is twice the bikes on the road Polaris Will have to lift there game maybe the bike are like a trophy wife all looks & no substance???

·
Registered
582 Posts
The dealer should have checked over the bike before advising you to get it .. especially knowing how far away you are. The radio thing is an aggravation (sometimes shit happens with electronics), but the dealer let you down on this one.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
The dealer should have checked over the bike before advising you to get it .. especially knowing how far away you are. The radio thing is an aggravation (sometimes shit happens with electronics), but the dealer let you down on this one.
He has Let you down 100% mate

·
Rider
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dealer did the re-flash so I could get rid of the Brake Throttle Override and so I could use the $300 LED fog lamps I installed. I surely hope it wasn't the fault of the service tech. I'll be sure to follow up on this site with the cause of this BS. I work on ships and am going back to sea on 1-12 so that and shitty weather could hamper my retrieval time line.

Reactions: the doctor

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,682 Posts
Took my Chieftain, #610, for a 10K service at the Reno dealer that was to include the ECM software update. I asked for the BTO removal and the ability to use the factory LED Pathfinder fog lamps I recently installed. I was supposed to pick the bike up and trailer it back to the SF bay area this afternoon but somehow the radio on my bike died after the re-flash. The owner of the shop has Indian #656 and he offered to let me take his stereo but that stereo would not work either. The service rep said they had only re-flashed one other 2014 Indian with no problems but it was not one of the earlier numbered bikes. Bottom line is now I'm returning the U HAUL motorcycle hauling trailer empty. Dealer said they're gonna have to wait till next week to contact Polaris for guidance and then I'll have to come back to get my ride once it gets squared away. I cannot begin to express in words how passed off I am.
I deal with a lot of software on the new avionics and cabin management systems on the aircraft that I support. I can honestly say Sh$t Happens. I don't know how downloads from Polaris are handled. If they download to a laptop then transfer it to the bike then many things can happen. There can be a virus in the laptop, the download was interrupted, the transfer to the bike was interrupted, etc.... To me the bigger question is when did this happen? When did they contact you to let you know there was a problem? Was this on a Friday and they would not get a response from Polaris till Monday? I can't believe Polaris does not have any weekend tech support.

If they sent you on your way to the dealership knowing there was an issue then you have every right to be upset. Any dealer worth their salt that has dealt with software knows that any change in ECM programming needs to be verified and checked to see how the bike functions after the update. Did they do this? If not and you were the one to discover this then I share in your frustration and have no problems pointing a finger at this dealer.

I have worked in repair facilities for many years and even the best shops can have their "Sh$t Moments". The way a great shop shows their mustard is in how they deal with these moments. Let's see how this shop handles this. Dean E

Reactions: hamador1

·
Rider
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Snowy Ride.jpg
After the software update the tech noticed the stereo system was dead. Today when I returned to Reno to retrieve my rented U-Haul trailer the service rep Cody mentioned that they had put in an order to have the 3rd generation radio shipped to the dealer. Go on line and you'll see that you cannot get a replacement stereo on Indian's web site w/o going through the dealer and the service rep said they must call Polaris to order a replacement because Polaris will not let them order on line. He said to me they will be willing to deliver the bike after all is done about half way to where I live. I should have gone to talk to the owner Bill to confirm this. My initial gut reaction was to just have them put the bike back together, load it up and I take it to a different dealer to complete since the weather was fair and I had the trailer there. I own a Kendon stand up trailer but it offers even less protection than the U-Haul trailer. Today when I came back over Donner summit the amount of sand and grit on the road not to mention the mid 30's temps had me cringing at the thought of trailering my bike back over the mountains in an open trailer. See the attached pic from when I stopped to check my snow chains on the way up Christmas eve. Next day my bike looked really grimmy and I do not want to repeat that scenario.

Reactions: Jw roadmaster

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,682 Posts
View attachment 4516 After the software update the tech noticed the stereo system was dead. Today when I returned to Reno to retrieve my rented U-Haul trailer the service rep Cody mentioned that they had put in an order to have the 3rd generation radio shipped to the dealer. Go on line and you'll see that you cannot get a replacement stereo on Indian's web site w/o going through the dealer and the service rep said they must call Polaris to order a replacement because Polaris will not let them order on line. He said to me they will be willing to deliver the bike after all is done about half way to where I live. I should have gone to talk to the owner Bill to confirm this. My initial gut reaction was to just have them put the bike back together, load it up and I take it to a different dealer to complete since the weather was fair and I had the trailer there. I own a Kendon stand up trailer but it offers even less protection than the U-Haul trailer. Today when I came back over Donner summit the amount of sand and grit on the road not to mention the mid 30's temps had me cringing at the thought of trailering my bike back over the mountains in an open trailer. See the attached pic from when I stopped to check my snow chains on the way up Christmas eve. Next day my bike looked really grimmy and I do not want to repeat that scenario.
Man you are killing me with that pic, seeing an Indian like that covered in snow just ain't right! Dean E

Reactions: harry

·
Rider
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Called dealer today. According to the service rep the latest generation radio is on its way and some tech guru at Polaris is telling the dealer service dept to reload the software in their laptop in case it got screwed up by Malware???. WTF over...Malware in my bikes computer system? Are they grasping at straws? All I know is this occurring at the holiday's doesn't help get thing done in an expedient manner.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I think they are afraid the dealer laptop has been corrupted. I don't think they are worried about your bike other than dealer may not know what they are doing with reflash. If their service laptop is on Internet and they got it messed up then someone needs better training and control. It may also be a good excuse when they have no idea and there are computers involved. Good luck.....may look for another dealer when available. I had one tech tell me my bike was suppose to be that way and another tech at another dealer said the micro switch under clutch was damaged probably when put together at factory.. I don't think a real detailed checklist is done locally before delivery.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
View attachment 4516 After the software update the tech noticed the stereo system was dead. Today when I returned to Reno to retrieve my rented U-Haul trailer the service rep Cody mentioned that they had put in an order to have the 3rd generation radio shipped to the dealer. Go on line and you'll see that you cannot get a replacement stereo on Indian's web site w/o going through the dealer and the service rep said they must call Polaris to order a replacement because Polaris will not let them order on line. He said to me they will be willing to deliver the bike after all is done about half way to where I live. I should have gone to talk to the owner Bill to confirm this. My initial gut reaction was to just have them put the bike back together, load it up and I take it to a different dealer to complete since the weather was fair and I had the trailer there. I own a Kendon stand up trailer but it offers even less protection than the U-Haul trailer. Today when I came back over Donner summit the amount of sand and grit on the road not to mention the mid 30's temps had me cringing at the thought of trailering my bike back over the mountains in an open trailer. See the attached pic from when I stopped to check my snow chains on the way up Christmas eve. Next day my bike looked really grimmy and I do not want to repeat that scenario.
:(:(:(

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hamador,
Sorry to hear about your bad experience with the reflash and Reno Cycles. When you say the radio is dead...this crazy a$$ reflash resets EVERYTHING in the bike's memory - including the sound system. Have you tried reprogramming the radio, everything from station presets to output (speakers vs bluetooth)?
I get the feeling, but can't confirm, that if you previously had a stage 1 reflash, it may be gone too.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Wow Hamador I hope you get this resolved pronto ! Very surprised by this whole thing, as I just had mine reflashed at Reno as well, they went through every thing that I had issues with b-4 to show me how those issues were indeed corrected, and Cody was the one who did it personally for me. Very sad to see your bike covered in road grime, this is why for me at least, I want to get one of them gator covers, that snug tight, then just rinse off the cover and take it off the bike, just having a tough time with the 600 bucks they want, when covered trailers are close in price.

·
Rider
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Hamador,
Sorry to hear about your bad experience with the reflash and Reno Cycles. When you say the radio is dead...this crazy a$$ reflash resets EVERYTHING in the bike's memory - including the sound system. Have you tried reprogramming the radio, everything from station presets to output (speakers vs bluetooth)?
I get the feeling, but can't confirm, that if you previously had a stage 1 reflash, it may be gone too.
Dealer has bike and is doing whatever they and Polaris feel is necessary to resolve the issue. I have not done any performance upgrades to the bike yet so no Stage 1 done. I've already put about $4,500 in factory accesories on this bike!

Reactions: harry

·
Rider
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Waited till the close of business to call the service manager to see if there was any progress. Figured since they had not called me there might be issues. Well yes indeed there are issues. Indian was to "overnight" my new radio but as of today no GD MF'ing radio. I asked about just coming and getting the bike before there was more snow to deal at Donner Pass so I can take it to a SF bay area dealer but the guy sez the bike has issues with the cruise control and dash display tied into the failure of the radio! I am going to call Polaris myself on Monday and try to get some answers. It's been 9 calendar days since this SNAFU occured. I hope that my experience results in Polaris being able to take corrective action so other owners who get the ECM re-flash don't have to deal with all of this BS.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts