Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi was wondering on the stock pads there is a back plate with round holes all over it and on the EBC sintered pads there is no extra backing plate.Do you have to remove the backing plate from the old pads and install them on the EBC pads?Thx

·
Bronze member
3,766 Posts
There is often an anti-squeal plate on the back of brake pads. I imagine that's what the original pads have. It's probably a matter of how much room there is to swap it to the new pads. And perhaps the sintered pads don't need one. It's probably best to not use it unless you have squealing on the new pads.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I have the EBC pads and reinstalled the back plates on the new pads. This is a great brake upgrade from the OEM pads.

·
Bronze member
1,448 Posts
BTW....ALL brake pads on ALL street skoots are of the sintered type, have been for decades. Only differences are in the compounding of the friction materials.

RACNRAY

·
Silver member
4,259 Posts
FYI Just got email from EBC and they told me not install backing plate from factory pads
The manual clearly states:
"Be sure backing plate is properly installed on new pad with insulator between brake pad and plate."

The EBC replacement pads are designed to replace the OEM pads, I put the backing plate with insulator on my pad when I did my brakes last week.

·
Bronze member
2,493 Posts
why do EBC advertisers two different pads, one for spoked wheeled models and one for cast wheeled models.

·
Founding member / silver
5,066 Posts
why do EBC advertisers two different pads, one for spoked wheeled models and one for cast wheeled models.
Can't be sure without the actual advertisement, but my guess is the pads for the spokes are designed to produce less dust.

For example, the Organic Motorcycle Brakes pads lists "Benefit from low disc abrasion and dust" as a selling point.

·
Bronze member
1,448 Posts
NOT RUE....for all Polaris era Indians of the TS111 engine family the EBC nmbr is FA347HH which is for the Frnt Nissin calipers. The only deviation in part nmbrs I see are for the Scouts which is due to different frnt calipers.

RACNRAY

·
Bronze member
2,493 Posts
On the EBC web site it give 111TS options of spoke wheel Nissin caliper, and cast wheel Nissin caliper.
wonder why they would worded it that way if they are the same pads for both, I'll be fitting the organic (Kevlar) pads next time round.

·
Rider
816 Posts
I rarely change out my brake pads because I rarely use my brakes. That may change now that I’m living in nw Arkansas though. Seems I can’t go more than a couple hundred feet without a sharp curve or steep descent. I’m not complaining however.

·
Bronze member
1,448 Posts
On the EBC web site it give 111TS options of spoke wheel Nissin caliper, and cast wheel Nissin caliper.
wonder why they would worded it that way if they are the same pads for both, I'll be fitting the organic (Kevlar) pads next time round.
The Kevlar and organic composition pads are a noticeable step backward in braking quality and due to that material ends up polishing the rotors and creating grooves that match the ventilation holes in the rotor, stay with sintered pads of HH rating, this is my professional experience.
RACNRAY

1 - 14 of 14 Posts