Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Rider
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Update:

I ended up buying top-end Oticon OPN S1 miniRITE hearing aids. They're GREAT! It took a couple of sessions with the Audiologist to dial-in the settings for my hearing, but now they are just awesome! I basically only use the main program because it works so well in every environment: at home, music, restaurant, etc. They also have a tinnitus masking program, but it just plays white noise and doesn't seem to do much for me; its there, but I don't use it.

For riding, I am using the "Ear Peace" motorcycle "high fidelity hearing protection"
(https://www.amazon.com/EarPeace-Motorcycle-Ear-Plugs-Motorsports/dp/B076VST3SH/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=ear+peace&qid=1593529133&sr=8-4). I like these because they only block harmful frequencies/volume, yet still allow some speech through. Easy to lose, which is why I also keep a box of "Laser Lites" (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007XJOLG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1), in the garage (only $0.13 per pair, in bulk). They have the highest rating you can find for foam-type earplugs (NRR-32/SNR-35). I keep a handful in my saddlebags, in the car, in the workshop, and in my range bag so I never have to think about it... they're always in reach.

Hearing still sucks, but we gotta do what we can to protect whats left. Shinny side up!

Regards.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have tried these and did not like them. They would start to work their way out during the ride (silicone = slippery) even after I stuffed them in as far as I could stand it. Certain frequencies like loud exhaust would not be filtered out for some reason. I could hear vehicles with loud exhaust coming up behind me. It is very difficult to keep them seated when putting on my full face helmet as it would take a couple of tries before they stayed in which was tough on my ears. The cost is way too much. It did not have the muffled sound like foam ear plugs and only slightly improved voice communications. I would not buy again.

Tim

·
Registered
59 Posts
I use Samsung Galaxy earbuds when I want to listen to music. Small enough to fit in a helmet but also fit tightly in your ear enough to wear without.

·
Rider
931 Posts
I have severe hearing loss and tinnitus from working around machinery when i was young. I'd like to hold onto what I have. I've had good results with Liberty hearing aids and the audiologist at Sams. In this case he was recommended to me by the ENT. The over the ear types are better, no question.
On to the plugs. I've got a finicky ear canal and have had no success with most plugs, I can't even get the foam ones in one ear properly. I have had my best success (I haven't spent the $$ on some the highly rated ones) with the kind you mold into your ear yourself. They don't seem to mute everything, but I guess it's enough because I don't have extra humming in my ears when I am done riding. And after several years and nearly 30K miles of riding the audiologist says my hearing has not deteriorated. I do wear a full face helmet. But without the earplugs I wiould have additional humming in my ears after a 30 minute highway ride.

·
Rider
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I have severe hearing loss and tinnitus from working around machinery when i was young. I'd like to hold onto what I have. I've had good results with Liberty hearing aids and the audiologist at Sams. In this case he was recommended to me by the ENT. The over the ear types are better, no question.
On to the plugs. I've got a finicky ear canal and have had no success with most plugs, I can't even get the foam ones in one ear properly. I have had my best success (I haven't spent the $$ on some the highly rated ones) with the kind you mold into your ear yourself. They don't seem to mute everything, but I guess it's enough because I don't have extra humming in my ears when I am done riding. And after several years and nearly 30K miles of riding the audiologist says my hearing has not deteriorated. I do wear a full face helmet. But without the earplugs I wiould have additional humming in my ears after a 30 minute highway ride.
Sounds like you are more f'ed then me. I did look at the SAMs offerring. They do provide good aids and way better money, but they are feature-limited. If you can tolorate, its a good deal. But I did not want to sacrifice features, so I paid the big bucks. I love it whan I wake up every day to the constant ringing... its always there. I don't even know what silence is anymore! Glad you ride with full face and do what you can for ear protection. I always wan to ask those guys with the 1/2 helmet: "Which half of your face don't you need?" Chow.

·
Rider
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
BTW: you can go to your audiologist and have custom fitted ear molds made for you with provision for various attenuators. Mine offers that service for rock stars and musicians, etc., people that need linear high-fidelity attenuation.

·
Registered
160 Posts
BTW: you can go to your audiologist and have custom fitted ear molds made for you with provision for various attenuators. Mine offers that service for rock stars and musicians, etc., people that need linear high-fidelity attenuation.
Wanting really good hearing protection, I went to the audiologist and had them make custom molded plugs. They made a second set, after the first didn't work at all. Of course they tell you up front that there is no guarantee of any dB reduction, so no refund is possible.

The end result with the second set was about 10 dB of noise reduction, so needless to say, I have a pair of $160 plugs sitting on my workbench. The silicone plugs with vanes seem to work the best for me at 1/20th the cost. The expanding foam type also work for noise reduction, but make my ears sore after a while. And the smooth finished sponge plugs, can be excruciating to remove, since they seal the ear canal.

Riding with no plugs is not an option, even in my Shoe RF1200. After even a short ride it takes my ears hours to recover from the wind noise. I'm sure the loss would be permanent if I didn't use plugs.

·
Rider
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Wanting really good hearing protection, I went to the audiologist and had them make custom molded plugs. They made a second set, after the first didn't work at all. Of course they tell you up front that there is no guarantee of any dB reduction, so no refund is possible.

The end result with the second set was about 10 dB of noise reduction, so needless to say, I have a pair of $160 plugs sitting on my workbench. The silicone plugs with vanes seem to work the best for me at 1/20th the cost. The expanding foam type also work for noise reduction, but make my ears sore after a while. And the smooth finished sponge plugs, can be excruciating to remove, since they seal the ear canal.

Riding with no plugs is not an option, even in my Shoe RF1200. After even a short ride it takes my ears hours to recover from the wind noise. I'm sure the loss would be permanent if I didn't use plugs.
Yea... Life sucks and then you die.

Like I think I said at the start of this thread: helmet wind noise is in the "dangerous" loudness category, meaning it WILL cause damage.

Meantime, enjoy the road and protect as best you can.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts