Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Rider
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I'm also at the point of getting hearing aids. Anyone know if any of the current hearing aid availability might include ones with built-in active noise cancellation programs so I could also use them on the cicle?

·
Registered
158 Posts
I use the cheap foam ones from Target. They cut down wind noise and road noise from other cars, and I get enough feedback through the seat of my pants to be in tune with the engine. But also it's irritating when I stop for gas and can't hear other people trying to talk to me. I will check out the filters too.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Great list! I had tinnitus before I started riding, and didn't want to make it worse, so I've always used earplugs, but I just bought the packs of disposable ear plugs at the local hardware store. The foam plugs definitely cause a problem when people try to talk to you at say the gas station or ask you for directions at a stop light...

·
Registered
756 Posts
I use the cheap foam ones from Target. They cut down wind noise and road noise from other cars, and I get enough feedback through the seat of my pants to be in tune with the engine. But also it's irritating when I stop for gas and can't hear other people trying to talk to me. I will check out the filters too.
That's one of the things I like about my earphones. You can set them for pass through. It just passes the microphone pickup through the earphones if you're ready to hear the outside world again.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Back when I used to go on frequent cross-country rides I realised I could ride further each day without getting tired if I wore ear plugs under my full face helmet. Since then I always wear them, just makes things so much more comfortable on the road.
I can still hear horns honk and brakes squeal and people talking to me in traffic, it just softens those high intensity long duration sounds that really wear you down.
My two cents.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have signifcant hearing loss in my right ear from a self inflicted incident at a shooting range from a few years back. I tried the hearing aid thing and just couldn't tolerate it. After seeing the Fortnine video posted above when it was first released I purchased the NoNoise Motorsport ear plugs from Rezilla and the difference in wind noise was amazing. It does tend to filter out a little too much engine noise so I have to watch the gear indicator sometimes to remind myself what gear I'm in but I will not ride without these. I've only got one mostly good ear left so I need to protect it as much as I can.

·
Rider
406 Posts
I use these EarPeace plugs, $14.99 on Amazon. They come with different inner baffles so that you can tailor the amount of noise they’ll allow in. Unlike some plugs that attempt to muffle all sound - and often create uncomfortable pressure inside the ear - these are designed to allow in sound while dampening out those sounds that can cause damage. When I wear them with my half-helmet, I can still hear the wind, the sound of my engine, and most conversations, so they’re less ‘isolating’ than others I’ve used in the past. Plus, they include a free ‘third’ ear-piece in case you lose or misplace one
0D7C04CC-F068-43A6-992E-3575A90C062F.jpeg
one.

·
Rider
756 Posts
Just came from meeting the director of the Mass Eye and Ear Infirmary otolaryngololy department because of my tinnitus (which seems to be worsening) and degrading hearing. I'm down to 60 dB loss in the upper registers and counting... normal for old farts like me.

Of note, he said wind noise inside even a full face helmet can be over 100 dB loud, which is in the "Extremely loud—Dangerous to hearing; wear earplugs or earmuffs" range. He said to definitely wear earplugs. Just saying...

See Loud Noise Dangers
Can’t wear ear plugs if you wear hearing aids. . “ what ja say there sonny,,”

·
Registered
124 Posts
I don’t want burst your bubble but I have tried these type of plugs and if you have a loud exhaust like the rinehart Slip ons like I have they don’t reduce the DB level enough and create a lot of pressure on the ear canal , I use a foam plug with a 32DB reduction and they work perfectly and they are also cheap . Best of luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Rider
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
I don’t want burst your bubble but I have tried these type of plugs and if you have a loud exhaust like the rinehart Slip ons like I have they don’t reduce the DB level enough and create a lot of pressure on the ear canal , I use a foam plug with a 32DB reduction and they work perfectly and they are also cheap . Best of luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yea. I tried the Pinlock plugs and they kinda-sorta work. They cut maybe 50% of noise, but probably (hopefully) the "worst" range. They do let be hear my Cardo Packtalk if I crank everything up to full volume... but just barely.

I think the Pinlock plugs are OK, but the foam plugs work better and are way cheaper... you just can't hear your Packtalk, conversations, etc. Its kind of like driving in a vacuum... makes me feel isolated, like I'm underwater.

Can't decide.. I'll probably just wear the Pinlocks until I lose them and then fallback to the foamies.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Pinlocks with a full face helmet are perfect. Wind noise is almost gone, and loud pipes are quieted way down below threshold levels, all while still being able to hear the traffic around you.

·
Bronze member
1,634 Posts
I went back to using the cheap foam earplugs since the sure fire ones weren’t staying in place anymore.
Now that I know how to put them in right thanks to someone here on the forum, just a twist to shrink them down in size and stick them in and let them expand afterward.

only downside might be that they cut out all sounds quite a bit, 32 dB noise reduction rating. Guy at a gas station asked me a question about my scout And I couldn’t hear him at first through my full face helmet.

really appreciate being told how to use those foam earplugs, I’m very new to those things never wore them in years past.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have some hearing issues too. So I went to Costco for hearing aids and was fitted with some that turned out to be absolutely inappropriate for my type of hearing loss. Also, the technician could never get them adjusted so they were not annoying. I returned them of course for a full refund. Now I plan to pass a professional hearing screening Staten Island and get real help

21 - 40 of 49 Posts