Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Rider
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just came from meeting the director of the Mass Eye and Ear Infirmary otolaryngololy department because of my tinnitus (which seems to be worsening) and degrading hearing. I'm down to 60 dB loss in the upper registers and counting... normal for old farts like me.

Of note, he said wind noise inside even a full face helmet can be over 100 dB loud, which is in the "Extremely loud—Dangerous to hearing; wear earplugs or earmuffs" range. He said to definitely wear earplugs. Just saying...

See Loud Noise Dangers

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Just came from meeting the director of the Mass Eye and Ear Infirmary otolaryngololy department because of my tinnitus (which seems to be worsening) and degrading hearing. I'm down to 60 dB loss in the upper registers and counting... normal for old farts like me.

Of note, he said wind noise inside even a full face helmet can be over 100 dB loud, which is in the "Extremely loud—Dangerous to hearing; wear earplugs or earmuffs" range. He said to definitely wear earplugs. Just saying...

See Loud Noise Dangers
I clicked this hoping it would be a reco thread for earplugs although I'm glad for the info. Did the Dr have a reco for earplugs that are comfortable under a helmet?

·
Registered
482 Posts
I always use Pinlok brand. have had 2 sets of moulded in ear ones but they flip out when taking off my helmet. Pinlok are very, very soft rubber/ silicone feeling. google them

·
Registered
97 Posts
I ride with a full face schuberth c3 pro, suposed to be the quietest full face helmet made. ( i still wear ear plugs in it though). But on a ride through Montana I kept the schuberth in the trunk and just rode with ear plugs and glasses. I was amazed at how clam the wind noise sounded

·
Bronze member
2,539 Posts
Hearing loss isn’t a funny thing, after 40 plus years riding the last 10 wearing plugs I also suffer from tinnitus and it’s not fun

·
Rider
452 Posts
I SO Tunes cordless blue tooth are good for around a hundred bucks. Best on the highway because they really block sound.

Pinlocks are really good for straight ear protection without blue tooth. I think they block about 27 decibels.

·
Registered
91 Posts
The Bose noise canceling ear buds are pricey at $250, but it silences everything - the engine is quiet, no wind noise, can play music at a moderate level because you are not fighting to overpower the wind. Otherwise Mack's maximum foam plugs are cheap and effective.

·
Bronze member
1,634 Posts
Hearing loss isn’t a funny thing, after 40 plus years riding the last 10 wearing plugs I also suffer from tinnitus and it’s not fun
My father is 87 years old now and it's almost impossible to have a conversation with him anymore. His hearing has been worsening the past several years, refuses to wear hearing aids, and I can't think of any obvious reason for it other than simply his age.
Well, maybe because he used a lot of tools. Saws, hammering to build things.
In fact, one of his first jobs was building a house but he became an office worker soon afterward and executive later in life.

We finished two basements together, built a cabin, replaced roofing, just to name a few things. So yeah, I guess there were noises. Oh, and gas leaf blowers, tractor(s) and such. All without ear plugs.

My ears are ringing right now, often do, but I don't always notice it.
I was at a loud musical performance (play this time) today, one of many. Except that's a more recent thing, because I only went to 2 rock concerts when a teenager.

I didn't even consider using ear plugs for motorcycle riding until a year ago, and I'm over 60 years old myself so I have some real concern with this. Not sure I would worry if not for Dad being nearly deaf as a comparison.
Reminds me of having laryngitis the few times I can remember, unable to get words spoken. Really frustrating to lose that, must be likewise about hearing.

Anyway... I had posted a message a little while ago about trying SureFire earplugs and this is a good opportunity to say I will need to go back to the foam type. Some of you here suggested using them the right way, which I failed to realize before. I was basically jamming them in, and was told about squeezing or rolling them thin first to let them get into the ear and then expand. Only problem I can see with that is the need to replace them often with fresh ones, but it's certain to seal off the ear canal.
These Surefire were good, until I began having trouble twisting them into place and staying put. Could be a size problem, I suppose, there are 3 different ones I think and I got the medium. But the other problem is the hard plastic cap, used for closing or opening an outer pinhole, it could irritate the outer part of my ear when pushing them into place again and again.
So going to be retrying the simple foam ones, the right way. :oops::)

Reactions: Kriss

·
Registered
982 Posts
Having a propensity for losing small items, I buy the little sponge plugs that come 20 to a pack. I have gotten pretty good at getting them in fast enough to have them expand correctly.

·
Registered
756 Posts
What are you wearing?
Samsung galaxy buds, the 2019's. They go down in your ear canal and make a good seal. Best bang for the buck I've found. The mic sucks on them though.

There are better, everything has drawbacks. Either on price or extrude too far from your ear so it's a pain to get a helmet over.

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
The Bose noise canceling ear buds are pricey at $250, but it silences everything - the engine is quiet, no wind noise, can play music at a moderate level because you are not fighting to overpower the wind. Otherwise Mack's maximum foam plugs are cheap and effective.
Are these what you mean? If so I wear a full-face modular helmet and unfortunately wouldn't be comfortable.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Are these what you mean? If so I wear a full-face modular helmet and unfortunately wouldn't be comfortable.

Probably have a problem with any full face. A modular, you can pull far enough apart to go over without a problem.

I used the Bose noise canceling for awhile too. Pricey but a really good option. My problem was dealing with the wire in the summer when I don't wear a jacket. A tank bag could solve that but that's just piling on crap I wouldn't otherwise have a use for.

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
These Surefire were good, until I began having trouble twisting them into place and staying put. Could be a size problem, I suppose, there are 3 different ones I think and I got the medium. But the other problem is the hard plastic cap, used for closing or opening an outer pinhole, it could irritate the outer part of my ear when pushing them into place again and again.
I'm checking them out. They look like a good option for a full face helmet.

·
Registered
756 Posts
This is another option for ear phones.

https://www.amazon.com/Comply-SmartCore-Earphones-Cancelling-Comfortable/dp/B075R8YCKN/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_sspa?keywords=earphones+foam+covers&qid=1572259585&sprefix=earphones+foam&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExSEpGVEo3UEROSjVNJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNDQxOTYyMVdMSzlMQ0o5Rk1WTyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMjEwMTI2MlVCQ0FaQ0wzRVQ1OSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX3Bob25lX3NlYXJjaF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

I've used them as safety plugs on my earphones and walked around paper mills in them. Just as good as dedicated plugs. The problem with these though is that after you've smashed them 4-5 times to go in your ear, they'll fall apart and you need new ones. But, I have stood next to a refiner and listened to an audiobook clear as a bell.

Now, if you just want ear plugs and that's all...

Here's everything you should know:

·
Premium Member
1,164 Posts
I use these in my full face and modular helmets. Also use them for lawn mowing, when I fly etc. You can turn noise canceling on and off with a button. Use them on all day trips, plug them in to charge when we stop for gas etc and lunch and never had them go dead. The extra piece that goes in your ear helps to keep them from falling out. I’ve tried corded options in the past, the constant cord moving kept breaking the wires.

https://www.jlabaudio.com/products/epic-executive-bluetooth-active-noise-canceling-earbud

·
Rider
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
This is another option for ear phones.

https://www.amazon.com/Comply-SmartCore-Earphones-Cancelling-Comfortable/dp/B075R8YCKN/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_sspa?keywords=earphones+foam+covers&qid=1572259585&sprefix=earphones+foam&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExSEpGVEo3UEROSjVNJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNDQxOTYyMVdMSzlMQ0o5Rk1WTyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMjEwMTI2MlVCQ0FaQ0wzRVQ1OSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX3Bob25lX3NlYXJjaF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

I've used them as safety plugs on my earphones and walked around paper mills in them. Just as good as dedicated plugs. The problem with these though is that after you've smashed them 4-5 times to go in your ear, they'll fall apart and you need new ones. But, I have stood next to a refiner and listened to an audiobook clear as a bell.

Now, if you just want ear plugs and that's all...

Here's everything you should know:

This is a great video! Its what got my search started. I am using the foam rollups for now until/if I get something better. The foam attenuates everything slightly too much, making it hard to hear anything. Passive is definitely preferred with no wires.

Here is whats on my wish list now (not sure which yet... just collecting promising looking jobs):

Pinlock Earplugs | 10% ($2.50) Off! - RevZilla
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00P2NTVPA/?coliid=I1OHFEL97BUNY9&colid=2AX7HC3FW5OFH&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HY8L5R3/?coliid=I17ZC6ZFIPCFMI&colid=2AX7HC3FW5OFH&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PSFXZX4/?coliid=I3VQAR4E2EOD94&colid=2AX7HC3FW5OFH&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019M576XW/?coliid=I1OAXCGNEI0C5T&colid=2AX7HC3FW5OFH&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NRP6FPS/?coliid=I2R7HBGUCGQLVE&colid=2AX7HC3FW5OFH&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
also...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001V2SS9G/?coliid=IUXJKT1P67GRE&colid=2AX7HC3FW5OFH&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

so many choices, I'm paralyzed. But I think I'll try the pinlock unit first.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts