Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Do you wear ear plugs on rides

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Silver member
3,964 Posts
I’m a dentist so my ears were doomed years ago. If I have a windshield on a bike the wind noise does not bother me. On my Rockets that do not have shields I wear full face for wind noise and greater face protection. Some hearing loss is just a part of my life.

BTW other parts of the body degrade with time too.:rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: Spyderbyte

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm using the Eargasm Slide plugs. I tried the silicone ones with standard filter inserts and they were not comfortable for me. I also tried the Alpine moto safe plugs and didn't like them. Silicone ear plugs just bother my ears and cause my ears to ache after an hour. I also had one stuck in my ear since there is only a tiny tab to pull it out. My wife had to pick it out with tweezers. If you like the feel of silicone plugs, you might do well with the Alpine ones. The slide plugs are adjustable and have 6 different ear tips to choose from so it was easy to find one that was comfortable for me. Sometimes If I really want to hear conversation, I just slide the filter to the 15db setting. I also use the 15db setting when I pull of the highway and want to hear more of the sounds around me.
Thank you! Will order a set👍

·
Registered
2018 Indian Roadmaster
13 Posts
I always wear earplugs now. Started having tinnitus a couple years ago. Don't want it to get worse. I use the silicone earplugs, the foam ones start hurting my ears after a few hours on long rides.

·
Rider
2019 Scout and Chieftain Classic both in Willow Green and Cream
943 Posts
They may be good for short rides...but NOT for all day. For a 12 hour ride (or longer) I find them unsuitable. The material is much harder and thus uncomfortable in the ear canal after many hours. I have several pairs and they are all about the same. Red bead is RIGHT side, blue bead...you get the drift. Bright colors so they don't get "lost". A pack of the pink squishy plugs I get are maybe 50 for $9? I keep 'em in my sleeve pocket. YMMV.

View attachment 706609
Yes they are a harder material, but i don't know how old yours are but the material and how they are made has changed in recent years. They now use a gel rather than a puddy consistency product. So, they fit even better. Those look like they never been used.

·
Registered
2018 Chief Classic Vintage - 2019 BMW R1250 GS ADV
3 Posts
HI everyone from Santiago, Chile!!
I've been using earplugs for the past 7 years now specially made for bikers by a company named NoNoise. They are very comfortable and work really well not only protecting my ears making the wind, tires and buffeting noise almost entirely disappear but providing a much more relaxed riding. I love the fact that they do not suppress the sound of cars approaching, beside me or emergency vehicles, making these earplugs totally safe and a pleasure to use. My ladies are a 2019 Indian Chief Classic Vintage with Vance and Hines and a 2019 BMW R1250GS ADV with stock exhaust.
Can't ride without my earplugs...never leave home without them.
Saludos!!

·
Registered
2021 Scout Sixty
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Thanks for all the feedback. I have made two observations from the feedback here and my own personal experience:
  1. When I first got my bike I had no windscreen and the very loud V&H Twin Slash exhaust. At highway speeds, the wind noice would drown out the exhaust sound. I would say what I heard was 90% wind, 10% exhaust.
  2. Then I got a 20 inch windscreen, which threw the wind over my head. Then all of a sudden what I would hear was the exhaust, and could barely hear the wind. It reversed where now 90% of the sound was the exhaust and 10% was the wind.
So... That wind blast on a naked bike is incredibly loud. I am now thinking that if I were to put the stock exhaust back in, then I may not even need any ear protection. Which leads me to my question:

For those of you have have been riding for many years, and unfortunately ended up with some form to tinnitus, where you mostly riding without a windscreen or with loud pipes?

·
Registered
62 Posts
In the past I never did. Now I try to but forget often. The reason I do is because of my job. If I get to a certain threshold of loss then I'm required to wear hearing aids. I'm past that threshold in my right ear but not my left. So I'm just trying not to have to get hearing aids lol. Otherwise I wouldn't wear them.

·
Registered
2017 Indian Chieftain Dark Horse
16 Posts
Yes they are a harder material, but i don't know how old yours are but the material and how they are made has changed in recent years. They now use a gel rather than a puddy consistency product. So, they fit even better. Those look like they never been used.
Thanks for all the feedback. I have made two observations from the feedback here and my own personal experience:
  1. When I first got my bike I had no windscreen and the very loud V&H Twin Slash exhaust. At highway speeds, the wind noice would drown out the exhaust sound. I would say what I heard was 90% wind, 10% exhaust.
  2. Then I got a 20 inch windscreen, which threw the wind over my head. Then all of a sudden what I would hear was the exhaust, and could barely hear the wind. It reversed where now 90% of the sound was the exhaust and 10% was the wind.
So... That wind blast on a naked bike is incredibly loud. I am now thinking that if I were to put the stock exhaust back in, then I may not even need any ear protection. Which leads me to my question:

For those of you have have been riding for many years, and unfortunately ended up with some form to tinnitus, where you mostly riding without a windscreen or with loud pipes?
Used the disposable foam earplugs for years but weren’t really effective at blocking wind noise or fitting securely. Recently had my audiologist create a set of permanent ear plugs molded to my ear which both are secure and block all wind noise, should have done this years ago. Rineharts are installed so pipes are very loud but don’t notice these any more. I too suffer from tinnitus.

·
Rider
943 Posts
Used the disposable foam earplugs for years but weren’t really effective at blocking wind noise or fitting securely. Recently had my audiologist create a set of permanent ear plugs molded to my ear which both are secure and block all wind noise, should have done this years ago. Rineharts are installed so pipes are very loud but don’t notice these any more. I too suffer from tinnitus.
Yea, they do a halfway decent job but since they normally only are making them for a form for the hearing aid they don't do as go a job as those for shoots. And as i said the formula for the mater has changed recently. It's now more like a semi set jello. I've always had problems getting good plugs because of my small ear channels and had some guys refuse to make them for me in the past.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've been using earplugs for the past 7 years now specially made for bikers by a company named NoNoise. They are very comfortable and work really well not only protecting my ears making the wind, tires and buffeting noise almost entirely disappear but providing a much more relaxed riding. I love the fact that they do not suppress the sound of cars approaching, beside me or emergency vehicles, making these earplugs totally safe and a pleasure to use. My ladies are a 2019 Indian Chief Classic Vintage with Vance and Hines and a 2019 BMW R1250GS ADV with stock exhaust.
Saludos!!
Can you still hear a car horn or screeching tires?

·
Rider
943 Posts
Saludos!!
The only problem with theses plugs that i see is the same problem as with the foam plugs. Is if you have small ear canals, they don't fit. But that's a small percentage of people.

·
Bronze member
2,458 Posts
Well, I DO keep them clean. I use them mostly at the range under ear muffs. I'm usually there less than an hour so they aren't much of a problem. Got those at the last NRA convention. I'd like to see the gel ones you mentioned. I'm sure they'd be more comfortable.

·
Rider
943 Posts
Well, I DO keep them clean. I use them mostly at the range under ear muffs. I'm usually there less than an hour so they aren't much of a problem. Got those at the last NRA convention. I'd like to see the gel ones you mentioned. I'm sure they'd be more comfortable.
Its the same product but a different configuration of the material, if what you have are uncomfortable then the guy used to much pressure to fill your ears, so it's too tight.

·
Bronze member
2,458 Posts
Its the same product but a different configuration of the material, if what you have are uncomfortable then the guy used to much pressure to fill your ears, so it's too tight.
Anything's possible. And I DO have several pairs (all fit by different people). I would also think that, as you say, the material has changed so I might get better results the next time around.

Reactions: Bird Dog
41 - 60 of 65 Posts