Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Do you wear ear plugs on rides

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
I wear Eargasm slide earplugs on long road trips. I don’t bother with them around town. They have a filter with two settings. The filters block wind noise and decrease the exhaust drone while allowing me to hear the radio and cars around me. They really do an excellent job blocking the loud noise from tractor trailer tires on the interstate As well.
One setting is a 15db noise reduction and the other is a 22db reduction. I can adjust them on the fly while riding. The 15db setting allows some wind noise to come through and the 22db setting blocks all the wind noise even with my windshield in the lowest position. The filter is reusable forever (or until they wear out some day), and the foam ear tips are disposable. The tips are $5 each and last a few months. This is the best solution I have found to block ambient noise and still allow me to hear my radio and traffic around me.
I tried foam plugs and didn’t like the fact that I couldn’t hear things around me, and the sound I did hear was muddy and muffled. These are made for musicians who want to hear all the nuances of their music, but at a lower volume.
I can hear the radio at highway speeds and the sound is clear and crisp with my half helmet. It is the only solution I found that allows me to hear the things I want in high fidelity and not hear the ambient noise I don’t want to hear.
The tips come in 3 sizes and 2 styles so one should work for everyone. I Prefer the medium foam tips.
I looked into them a while back and did their calculator thingy, it would only recommend their "aviation" style plug. Other than being clear, it appeared to be not very different than any other rubber stem type ear plug (I'm picturing the military style orange ones). I ended up sticking with my squishy foam disposable gun range plugs. Are those "aviation" the one's you're running? I was first attracted to the "musician" style with the screen for the thought of being able to block out wind then still talk to my buddies at stop signs.

As others have mentioned, wind is the biggest factor. I wear ear plugs with both my half helmet and my full face. I find that loud exhaust is actually louder resonating inside my full face, than with my half helmet.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I started riding again after 25 years of taking a break. Back then I rode a Yamaha SECA 750, stock exhaust, tall windshield and no helmet. I was in my mid 20's. I do not remember the noise ever bothering me.

Now 25 years later, I get a Scout, 3/4 helmet and V&H Twin Slash pipes. Holy Moly! I am so overly stimulated between the noice of the wind and pipes.

Is it just my age? Or does the helmet with no windshield contribute to higher noise levels. I finally upgraded to a 20 inch windshield and that helped a lot. But those pipes!!!
Wind noise is the biggest problem, when it comes to motorcycle riding. I have profound damage to the hearing in my left ear and my right ear hearing is somewhat damaged as well. I wear custom fitted earplugs for any kind of noise related activity.
I've been riding motorcycles for 40 years, the past 20 years wearing ear plugs 100% of the time when riding. I wish that I had been wearing them the first 20 years.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I looked into them a while back and did their calculator thingy, it would only recommend their "aviation" style plug. Other than being clear, it appeared to be not very different than any other rubber stem type ear plug (I'm picturing the military style orange ones). I ended up sticking with my squishy foam disposable gun range plugs. Are those "aviation" the one's you're running? I was first attracted to the "musician" style with the screen for the thought of being able to block out wind then still talk to my buddies at stop signs.

As others have mentioned, wind is the biggest factor. I wear ear plugs with both my half helmet and my full face. I find that loud exhaust is actually louder resonating inside my full face, than with my half helmet.
I'm using the Eargasm Slide plugs. I tried the silicone ones with standard filter inserts and they were not comfortable for me. I also tried the Alpine moto safe plugs and didn't like them. Silicone ear plugs just bother my ears and cause my ears to ache after an hour. I also had one stuck in my ear since there is only a tiny tab to pull it out. My wife had to pick it out with tweezers. If you like the feel of silicone plugs, you might do well with the Alpine ones. The slide plugs are adjustable and have 6 different ear tips to choose from so it was easy to find one that was comfortable for me. Sometimes If I really want to hear conversation, I just slide the filter to the 15db setting. I also use the 15db setting when I pull of the highway and want to hear more of the sounds around me.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I installed an apx 19" windscreen. This shield when fully has me viewing over the top [road view is clear air] but all actual wind is above helmet line. I have a bubble of near still air around my head which means music is crystal clear even at highway and wind noise near non-existent so ear protection unneeded. If I lower screen fully all those statements are false. Such a screen let's you choose the ride (music) or wind "therapy"you desire. 90% of time I do SiriusXM.

·
Bronze member
2,458 Posts
Who regularly uses ear plugs on rides?
Ohio used to have a law against riding with earplugs. I'll leave it to the Ohio members to inform us as to whether that is still in effect. Doesn't matter, I still wear my plugs. Small ear canals so I have to use the "ladies" size which comes in hot pink. On the plus side I never lose them. Wind noise, engine noise, pipes, doesn't matter. Do you REALLY want to lose your hearing? Bottom line is that I wear mine because traveling long distances is more fatiguing when you're exposed high decibel noise.

·
Registered
16 Posts
EarPeace. I have had severe tinnitus in one ear for many years now. I’m trying to preserve what hearing I have left. EarPeace, along with my bluetooth helmet, allows me to hear my map directions, phone calls, etc., while significantly reducing wind noise, and reduces my exhaust volume (mine is moderate) while (thankfully) still being able to hear it. I use their sleep model earplugs too. I highly recommend them.

·
Bronze member
2,458 Posts
EarPeace. I have had severe tinnitus in one ear for many years now. I’m trying to preserve what hearing I have left. EarPeace, along with my bluetooth helmet, allows me to hear my map directions, phone calls, etc., while significantly reducing wind noise, and reduces my exhaust volume (mine is moderate) while (thankfully) still being able to hear it. I use their sleep model earplugs too. I highly recommend them.
And I bet you wear a watch while you ride too.;)

·
Rider
2019 Scout and Chieftain Classic both in Willow Green and Cream
943 Posts
Okay, trying to decide if I go with quieter pipes or ear plugs to block the sound. Who regularly uses ear plugs on rides?
Find the local gun range and ask who does custom ear plugs, get 2 sets of different colors, add in a secondary color for the left or right so it's easier to tell them apart. Do not get the attaching string block. Will take maybe an hour to do both sets. Last time i got a set they were about $65 or so a set. Are more comfortable than the disposable and do a better job. These are molded to your ears.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I wear a set made for concert goers, Mudeela is the brand name. $25 and you get 2 pair, one for larger ear openings and one for smaller ear openings. I find I can hear my stereo and any sirens coming up behind me 100% better all the while eliminating the wind noise.

·
Bronze member
2,458 Posts
Find the local gun range and ask who does custom ear plugs, get 2 sets of different colors, add in a secondary color for the left or right so it's easier to tell them apart. Do not get the attaching string block. Will take maybe an hour to do both sets. Last time i got a set they were about $65 or so a set. Are more comfortable than the disposable and do a better job. These are molded to your ears.
They may be good for short rides...but NOT for all day. For a 12 hour ride (or longer) I find them unsuitable. The material is much harder and thus uncomfortable in the ear canal after many hours. I have several pairs and they are all about the same. Red bead is RIGHT side, blue bead...you get the drift. Bright colors so they don't get "lost". A pack of the pink squishy plugs I get are maybe 50 for $9? I keep 'em in my sleeve pocket. YMMV.

Font Jewellery Electric blue Fashion accessory Wrist

·
Registered
3 Posts
Okay, trying to decide if I go with quieter pipes or ear plugs to block the sound. Who regularly uses ear plugs on rides?
Growing up the son of an eye doctor, my dad made sure I wore eye protection when hunting or shooting. Said nothing about the ear protection. Tinnitus sucks, but I still have some hearing left. I wear my Eargasm earplugs whenever I’m shooting, riding my bike or going to concerts. They allow me to hear conversation while blocking a significant amount of the higher decibel sounds. Rinehart pipes still sound good!

·
Registered
2021 Scout Sixty
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Growing up the son of an eye doctor, my dad made sure I wore eye protection when hunting or shooting. Said nothing about the ear protection. Tinnitus sucks, but I still have some hearing left. I wear my Eargasm earplugs whenever I’m shooting, riding my bike or going to concerts. They allow me to hear conversation while blocking a significant amount of the higher decibel sounds. Rinehart pipes still sound good!
Funny you say that. I started wearing Earpeace and so far so good. With the 20 inch windscreen in front, I can hardly hear any wind noice. But those Vance & Hines Twin Slash pipes are still pretty loud. Almost too loud still...

21 - 40 of 65 Posts