Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Ear Protection

3289 64
Okay, trying to decide if I go with quieter pipes or ear plugs to block the sound. Who regularly uses ear plugs on rides?

Do you wear ear plugs on rides

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
161 Posts
I wear Eargasm slide earplugs on long road trips. I don’t bother with them around town. They have a filter with two settings. The filters block wind noise and decrease the exhaust drone while allowing me to hear the radio and cars around me. They really do an excellent job blocking the loud noise from tractor trailer tires on the interstate As well.
One setting is a 15db noise reduction and the other is a 22db reduction. I can adjust them on the fly while riding. The 15db setting allows some wind noise to come through and the 22db setting blocks all the wind noise even with my windshield in the lowest position. The filter is reusable forever (or until they wear out some day), and the foam ear tips are disposable. The tips are $5 each and last a few months. This is the best solution I have found to block ambient noise and still allow me to hear my radio and traffic around me.
I tried foam plugs and didn’t like the fact that I couldn’t hear things around me, and the sound I did hear was muddy and muffled. These are made for musicians who want to hear all the nuances of their music, but at a lower volume.
I can hear the radio at highway speeds and the sound is clear and crisp with my half helmet. It is the only solution I found that allows me to hear the things I want in high fidelity and not hear the ambient noise I don’t want to hear.
The tips come in 3 sizes and 2 styles so one should work for everyone. I Prefer the medium foam tips.

· Registered
161 Posts
I looked into them a while back and did their calculator thingy, it would only recommend their "aviation" style plug. Other than being clear, it appeared to be not very different than any other rubber stem type ear plug (I'm picturing the military style orange ones). I ended up sticking with my squishy foam disposable gun range plugs. Are those "aviation" the one's you're running? I was first attracted to the "musician" style with the screen for the thought of being able to block out wind then still talk to my buddies at stop signs.

As others have mentioned, wind is the biggest factor. I wear ear plugs with both my half helmet and my full face. I find that loud exhaust is actually louder resonating inside my full face, than with my half helmet.
I'm using the Eargasm Slide plugs. I tried the silicone ones with standard filter inserts and they were not comfortable for me. I also tried the Alpine moto safe plugs and didn't like them. Silicone ear plugs just bother my ears and cause my ears to ache after an hour. I also had one stuck in my ear since there is only a tiny tab to pull it out. My wife had to pick it out with tweezers. If you like the feel of silicone plugs, you might do well with the Alpine ones. The slide plugs are adjustable and have 6 different ear tips to choose from so it was easy to find one that was comfortable for me. Sometimes If I really want to hear conversation, I just slide the filter to the 15db setting. I also use the 15db setting when I pull of the highway and want to hear more of the sounds around me.

· Registered
161 Posts
I have a constant ringing in my ears from years of riding without ear plugs and listening to loud music. I have a hard time hearing conversation when there is ambient noise. I wear ear plugs now on long rides and highway trips to keep my tinnitus and hearing loss from getting worse. When I do ride without plugs, I notice the ringing is much more intense for several hours after my ride. I can't regain the hearing I've lost, but I can do the best to maintain what I still have.
I voted in the category of sometimes wearing earplugs but I wear them more often than not. If you add the sometimes and always categories, we are around 73%. I was actually surprised that the majority of respondents wear ear plugs at least some of the time. I assumed I was in the minority on this.
Of course, I respect everyone's decision and don't care if you wear ear plugs, protective gear, helmets, seat belts etc... I think we should all have the freedom to do whatever we want as long as we aren't stepping on someone else's rights. Laws that protect you from yourself should be abolished in my opinion.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts