Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Do you wear ear plugs on rides

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2021 Scout Sixty
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I started riding again after 25 years of taking a break. Back then I rode a Yamaha SECA 750, stock exhaust, tall windshield and no helmet. I was in my mid 20's. I do not remember the noise ever bothering me.

Now 25 years later, I get a Scout, 3/4 helmet and V&H Twin Slash pipes. Holy Moly! I am so overly stimulated between the noice of the wind and pipes.

Is it just my age? Or does the helmet with no windshield contribute to higher noise levels. I finally upgraded to a 20 inch windshield and that helped a lot. But those pipes!!!

· Registered
2021 Scout Sixty
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Growing up the son of an eye doctor, my dad made sure I wore eye protection when hunting or shooting. Said nothing about the ear protection. Tinnitus sucks, but I still have some hearing left. I wear my Eargasm earplugs whenever I’m shooting, riding my bike or going to concerts. They allow me to hear conversation while blocking a significant amount of the higher decibel sounds. Rinehart pipes still sound good!
Funny you say that. I started wearing Earpeace and so far so good. With the 20 inch windscreen in front, I can hardly hear any wind noice. But those Vance & Hines Twin Slash pipes are still pretty loud. Almost too loud still...

· Registered
2021 Scout Sixty
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Thanks for all the feedback. I have made two observations from the feedback here and my own personal experience:
  1. When I first got my bike I had no windscreen and the very loud V&H Twin Slash exhaust. At highway speeds, the wind noice would drown out the exhaust sound. I would say what I heard was 90% wind, 10% exhaust.
  2. Then I got a 20 inch windscreen, which threw the wind over my head. Then all of a sudden what I would hear was the exhaust, and could barely hear the wind. It reversed where now 90% of the sound was the exhaust and 10% was the wind.
So... That wind blast on a naked bike is incredibly loud. I am now thinking that if I were to put the stock exhaust back in, then I may not even need any ear protection. Which leads me to my question:

For those of you have have been riding for many years, and unfortunately ended up with some form to tinnitus, where you mostly riding without a windscreen or with loud pipes?

· Registered
2021 Scout Sixty
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
I have a constant ringing in my ears from years of riding without ear plugs and listening to loud music. I have a hard time hearing conversation when there is ambient noise. I wear ear plugs now on long rides and highway trips to keep my tinnitus and hearing loss from getting worse. When I do ride without plugs, I notice the ringing is much more intense for several hours after my ride. I can't regain the hearing I've lost, but I can do the best to maintain what I still have.
I voted in the category of sometimes wearing earplugs but I wear them more often than not. If you add the sometimes and always categories, we are around 73%. I was actually surprised that the majority of respondents wear ear plugs at least some of the time. I assumed I was in the minority on this.
Of course, I respect everyone's decision and don't care if you wear ear plugs, protective gear, helmets, seat belts etc... I think we should all have the freedom to do whatever we want as long as we aren't stepping on someone else's rights. Laws that protect you from yourself should be abolished in my opinion.
“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”

― Ronald Reagan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts